Hong Kong Football Thread II (R)

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Angsa, Oct 4, 2016.

1. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Can't be that. Why would the Nigerian consulate help someone to expedite the renouncing of their passport? If anything, they'd try to slow it down and convince him not to give up his citizenship.

2. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Here is the final 23-man squad named for the Cambodia and Brunei fixtures that includes Everton Camargo. Kitchee's Fernando was also included despite not being initially listed within the preliminary squad.

Vas Nunez missed out as does Oliver Gerbig and Lam Hin Ting.

3. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Tai Po FC 1:0 Biu Chun Rangers

After demolishing Sham Shui Po 9:0 last week, Rangers were brought back to ground with a 0:1 defeat away to Tai Po.

Resources Capital and HK U23 played out a 0:0 draw and gains one point each.

Sham Shui Po 1:4 Crownity North District. Crownity North District wins its first HKPL match. VAR was employed for the first time in HK as referee denied Sham Shui Po's goal for offside.

4. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]
    Newly naturalised Everton Camargo participated in his first training session with the national team as they are set to depart for Cambodia tomorrow.

Michael Udebuluzor is due to obtain his Hong Kong passport this week in which he is more than likely join up with Andersen's squad when they return for the home fixture against Brunei. Kitchee's Juninho had already applied for naturalisation, although it will be a question of time to see when he will be able to obtain his HKSAR passport.

In addition, there is a bit of a change with the over-aged players that were due to represent the Under-23s for the upcoming 2022 Asian Games football event in which Leung Nok Hang, Vas Nunez and Shinichi Chan (due to Kitchee's refusal to let him play) are replaced by Lee Man's Wu Chun Ming and Rangers' Li Ngai Hoi who will join up with Matt Orr.

5. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Matt Orr needs to return to his club after the Cambodia match so he will not play at home against Brunei.

6. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    This should work out well with Michael U (hopefully/likely) to make his debut at home.

7. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    According to Offside.hk, Michael U has already received his HKSAR passport.

8. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Hong Kong Vs Cambodia - 1:1

Everton Camargo made his national team debut and scored from the free kick spot to give Hong Kong the early lead in the first half. However, the players had a rather shaky performance during the second half in which it was very lucky that Cambodia missed from a penalty. But alas, Cambodia struck back with the late equaliser during the concluding stages.

With Brunei at home coming up on Monday, I do feel that the pressure is now mounting on Jorn Andersen as he still has yet to register a win this year.

9. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well, its finally official:

10. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    I only managed to catch bits and pieces of the match (was watching on phone and caught out in rain), but a pretty horrendous result. In particular:

- Our backline was quite weak (Russell and Helio is not a good pairing)
    - Tan Chun Lok really did not play well (very sad considering he was the golden child not long ago)
    - No one can seem to hold possession?
    - Subs should have been thrown on a lot sooner

dez112 repped this.
  11. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Adding to that having watched the full match:

- Wong Wai did not look like he was 100% match fit.
    - Huang Yang made little impact and probably had reached his limit.
    - The way Yapp Hung Fai conceded the penalty was rather silly and was rather lucky that Cambodia had missed from the penalty spot.
    - I don't really know what was Shinichi Chan doing in which he did nothing to prevent Cambodia's equaliser where he could had marked the player.

Like I said, the pressure is going to be on Andersen during Monday's game against Brunei in which I am curious to see whether he will make any changes from the Cambodia game. Will also be interesting to see what Udebuluzor can bring to the table.

12. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Just finished watching the Hong Kong Under-23 team getting thrashed by Uzbekistan by ten goals which I do question whether or not the HKFA know what they are doing with the development of the youth program?

13. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Both Everton Carmago and Michael will feature in tonight's game against Brunei. Tse Ka-Wing will also play in goal instead of Yapp Hung-Fai.

Brunei hasn't played any intl A match since ASEAN Cup last year. They don't sound like they are very well prepared so I will be surprised if Hong Kong does not win tonight.

BTW, I am really not sure it is worth HK$160 for an adult match ticket against this level of opposition. HKFA really is milking the HKNT.

14. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

HK U22 massacred by Uzbekistan U22 10 goals to nil in the AFC U23 qualifier.

15. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    $160 is pretty outrageous. In fact, it should be free or at a very low price if the HKFA / Govt wanted to encourage support for the local team and for people to be out and about at night.

But I think a lot of fans will want to see Michael U's debut, and against such poor opposition there is a high chance he or Everton will score.

Very glad to see that Jorn is now rotating between Yapp and Tse as his #1, with Paulo his #3. Though I would still take Chan Ka Ho or Ng over Paulo for #3 for the Asian Cup.

By the way, what are our thoughts on Mahama Awal after seeing him in action for 5 matches this year? Does he make the cut for the final 23 for Asian Cup?

16. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #2766 adrenaline11, Sep 11, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
    I agree that the price was steep but surprisingly, 6,097 still found time to go to HK Stadium on a Monday night to watch our record victory.

You've heard of Adama Traore for Fulham?

Awal = HK Traore

You think he's scary when he has the ball, but the closer he is to goal, the less dangerous he is.

Suburbia repped this.
  17. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #2767 dez112, Sep 11, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
    Full Time: Hong Kong Vs Brunei - 10:0

This was a much better and dominant performance by the Hong Kong team to record their first and largest win of 2023 at home with goals from Everton, Tan Chun Lok, Wong Wai, Helio, Fernando, Chan Siu Kwan and Poon Pui Hin.

Michael Udebuluzor made his first Hong Kong start and I will say that he did really well to establish himself within the international scene as he certainly provided a new perspective and quality that the national team needed especially with his assists that played a massive role in today's game.

I will also say that Yue Tsz Nam also deserves praise too for his performance.

Hard to say at this stage, but places for the final 23 in terms of forwards will be very competitive considering that there is still the prospect of Juninho and maybe Stefan Pereira (in the process of) being naturalised potentially within this year.

Other than that at this stage (after the team's performances against Cambodia and Brunei) who do you predict will make the final 23?

Suburbia repped this.
  18. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Brunei was really not very well prepared for the match. In the second half I actually felt sorry for them. Their players were not really match fit.

Surprisingly Michael U did not score. But his presence as centre forward was important as he often drew defenders towards him, giving Everton more space to advance. Sadly on the left side we did not seem to provide the same threat.

Both central defenders were clumsy in the middle of the first half and they gave away two free kicks in dangerous positions. Even against Brunei, the players were still quite poor when in possession. I doubt Jorn Andersen will be able to improve this aspect.

Tse Ka-Wing did not have much to do. I think Jorn knew this so he gave Tse the chance to play. With Yapp and Paulo both being a little bit unreliable, it is good to have a third goalkeeper on the bench. Anyway Tse will gain more intl experience in the Asian Games.

The problem is still that the strength in depth is not really there. Hopefully Juninho will gain his HKSAR passport in time for the two WC qualifiers against Bhutan.

19. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

How CSL player Leung Nok-Hang simply gave the ball away while under no pressure. This is so damn poor and from a supposedly very good defender.

20. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    The CB position used to be our most stacked position, with Leung Nok Hang, Vas Nunez, Sean Tse, Helio, and even Li Ngai Hoi competing for a spot. Unfortunately within 1 year it seems that our reliable options have dwindled. Of course, it is unfair to judge it off of 1 match, but for an in-season Leung the performance yesterday was really inexcusable.

Tan Chun Lok continues to look rusty, despite his goal, although I must say he is a better option than Huang Yang at this point. I hope that he regains his confidence and form soon, he plays an extremely important role within the team.

Regarding upcoming players getting their passports like Juninho - if they do not receive it before the October matches, should they still be considered for the Asian Cup? Is it the right choice to let players make their debut with the team during an important competitive tournament?

Unfortunate Michael U did not score, but man his positioning and first touch is good. His body language is a tad negative and he seems a little casual, but again this is a 19 year old making his international debut. I am excited to see how he develops.

21. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Whilst I was slightly disappointed that Udebuluzor wasn't able to score, but I certainly was not disappointed with his performance in which I believe that he will grow more confidence as time progresses.

Sure there are a number of areas that can still be worked upon, but I predict that they should hopefully get the results they need when the face Bhutan next month.

It really does beg to question whether the Hong Kong Football Association have a vision and direction for their youth teams?

The Hong Kong U22 team will play their final game against Afghanistan today and if they do not get a result, then there will be further questions raised for the HKFA.

22. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There's also an international break in Nov, followed by a training camp in Dec. The HK Team could be involved in non-FIFA window friendlies as a tune-up to Asian Cup.

23. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Juninho or Perreira gets their HKSAR passports in the next couple of weeks, then they could still play against Bhutan as a substitutes in either the home or away matches to test them out.

Then if Hong Kong manages to beat Bhutan, which I believe we will, at least at home, then we will progress to the WC qualifers AFC Group E. The first matches will be in mid-November away to Iran (16 Nov) and then at home against Turkmenistan (Mingazov & co) (21 Nov). They will be good additions for these qualifiers.

There are lots of intl matches coming up for HK if Jorn Andersen doesn't mess up, we will need all the talent that we have.

24. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hong Kong U22 0:0 Afghanistan U22

At least the young ones got a draw and finished with a point. They did fight hard in the match and deserve some credit. Hope they keep fighting after they return to their respective clubs.

25. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #2775 dez112, Sep 13, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    Having watched the match yesterday and whilst a draw was reasonable, I still feel that there were moments that the team need to learn how to be more co-ordinated, organised and creative when it comes to building up chances and opportunities.

The only few glimpses of chances came from Krisna Korani in the first half and a late chance from Ho Lung Ho in the second half.

Several of these young players who had took part are going to join up with the Asian Games football squad within a few days and it will be interesting to see how they fare.

In addition like you said, I do hope that these young players can be given more opportunities by their clubs in hopes that they can improve and contribute to the future.