Honestly what gives with hijacking songs????

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by BradDavis, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So something like "New England Roads, take me home to a place I belong, Connecticut River, Green Mountain Mama"

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't make the decision, but I assume its because RMH can be a pain of a tune to carry in places of the song. ;) And "West Virginia Mountain Mama" is replaced with "Colorado See The Rapids"

Huh, never knew the Revs had a version. Why are you using songs from a guy who sang about Colorado? :D

3. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest (and I'd like to have a little rivalry back-and-forth but the YSA is taking a lot out of me) it's because, while there are literally hundreds of songs about Boston, there are none about New England.

And, while we're on the subject, (I've decided to get a little rivalry-y, I'm slightly over it) where do you get off talking to me about geographic ties, when you're stealing a song about The Least Important Virginia (by default)?:D Go Mountaineers!

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, we get all his songs by default. His last name was Denver and he lived in Colorado. :D

5. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once pro/rel comes in and WV Mining Town FC joins the League, you're going to have egg on your face

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the time MLS adds pro/rel I won't have a face, because I'll already be dead. ;)

7. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    "New England" by Jonathan Richman

8. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    That MLS team song thing has the stink of some hipster with a fancy job at an ad agency not having the slightest clue.

I bet he had a nice few months of feeling really ********ing important while he gave out many thousands of dollars of someone else's money to his favorite bands.

9. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Billy Bragg wrote a song about "New England" too, but I don't think it counts.

10. Fort York Redcoat

May 29, 2008
    Toronto
    Most hijacked songs aren't originals anyway. I don't care as long as it's creative lyrics and the new songs keep coming.

11. Oister

Oister Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Mile High
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    We've been known to clap in unison

12. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's how I see it, and my views don't necessarily represent my friends' views... but...

1: A group shouldn't care if other groups' songs are unoriginal. It's gonna happen because it's happened for hundreds of years, but don't let it bother you.

2: The group you're in uses unoriginal songs, and don't let that bother you, either.

3: If "Originality!" is your thing, than strive for YOUR group to do more original things, and have fun with it and don't worry about other groups.

4: If someone else eventually catches on to "your original thing", please see #1.

5: VERY few things are truly original. You THINK you thought of it, but others were probably doing it somewhere else in the world with only SLIGHTLY different lyrics, so don't let it bother you.

6: Now in reference to #4, be flattered. Seriously... you came up with something new... you got others to join in... and you're fairly certain YOU did it first. Well done! Don't get butt-hurt that some other team's fans are doing it... be proud of yourself that you enhanced the soccer experience in MLS.

7: I'm still pushing for more teams to yell "BUKAKKE!*" instead of "You Suck A$$hole!", but it's an uphill battle. But you know what I'd do if EVERYONE did it? I wouldn't let it bother me. Seriously, go to the game and have fun.

Tommy Mack
    LA Riot Squad

* It's so much fun yelling "Google it!" to the soccer moms with perplexed faces...

13. Mrs. John Spencer

Mrs. John Spencer New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    Yelling bukkake on a goal kick is creepy and gross and not funny/entertaining in any way.

1 person likes this.
  14. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why we don't just say "¡********!" after kicks. Soccer moms and Security Guards don't understand Spanish, so it won't bother them (for the most part).

15. Fort York Redcoat

May 29, 2008
    Toronto
    That's been hilarious at the U-17 tourney. Even the commentators have had a laugh over it.

16. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    Uhhh dude, just a heads up:

Vancouver Southsiders have been singing "Boundary Road" to the same tune as Country Roads since 1999. If you're going for team specific, we beat you to it by 12 years.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say it was original, just that we were making a team specific version.

18. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

It's a shame that now that Vancouver is in MLS that the song is now buried under the standard set of songs that every other team also sings as the original poster was lamenting about.

19. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    True.

False.

20. Mrs. John Spencer

Mrs. John Spencer New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    Do you really want to be that supporter/supporters group that yells sexually demeaning things?Yelling that just makes you look like a giant douche bag.

21. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope.

I want to be the supporter group that yells original sexually demeaning things.

1 person likes this.
  22. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Fee Fie Foe Fum
    Whitecaps (any team not named toronto) are a bunch of scum

Thank you.

23. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude, not cool, the pillow fight club in SJ did this back in 1996.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I admit, I LOLed at this.

25. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011