Homeless Metros.....

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by JRedknapp11, Aug 9, 2002.

1. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    What's the deal with our playoff situation ?

Has anyone heard anything as to where we will be holding our playoff matches this year ?

The situation we are in with the NJSEA is garbage , but more importantly we should be looking into what is going to happen to GS for our playoff matches.

Depending on where they house our next matches, it could be a possible away enviroment for us..basically fighting for homefield advantage this year is almost pointless.

2. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
    Last home game for Metro: Thur. Sept 12

Last regular season Metro game: Sat. Sept 21

Giants Stadium events in late Sept / early Oct.:

Sat 28th - Rolling Stones
    Oct 6th - Jets
    Oct 13 - Giants

By the way there are eight American Football games scheduled between now and Sept 22nd, including pre-season, college, and regular season. The middle of the pitch and the sideline will be mud.

I remember Nick saying something about playoff window dates, but I can't remember when they were.

3. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    When we leave I say we take the trays with us. :)

4. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    This hasn't gotten much publicity, but over the summer the NJSEA actually bought a whole new set of trays. They now have two "fields" worth of trays.
    You can see them between Paterson Plank Road and the back of the race track, on a rarely used overflow parking lot.
    This should help keep the field from deteriorating like the last NFL season.
    These trays have to be custom made and cost millions of dollars, so it looks like even if the Metros leave NJSEA is commited to using grass!

5. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    I'm suprised we haven't seen more trays. From what I know (which isn't much), I'm sure the Jets and Giants are much happier with them than what was before.

6. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not doubting your word, but if they were really committed to putting in a grass field they would rip up the concrete and plastic shite that they have underneath the current trays and put in a permanent grass field.

7. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    They always did, even when we first got them they had 2 fields worth of them. They just dont change them for us.

8. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    That would make it impossible to repair with all the play that field gets. If the trays were just rotated like they are supposed to it should work fine.

9. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    They are better off with the trays. Giants Stadium has an excellent drainage system under the pitch. No matter how hard it rains the grass will never puddle or flood .
    -----
    The new set of trays *are* new. In previous seasons they have only had 1 field + 1/4 worth of trays. The Giants & Jets told them to buy the extra trays or switch to turf.

10. MetroMascot

MetroMascot New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    Poconos, PA
    Rutgers or Mitchel for home playoff games ?

11. P. J. Szule

P. J. Szule New Member

Jul 22, 2001
    New York
    Are these the "reserve" trays ?

Not being savvy enough to paste in a jpg, kindly view Real Madrid's official website and it's extensive report on the team's visit to Nueva York - in particular: 9 de agosto - Entrenamiento.

I believe the photograps are taken of a Real practice, the morning after the friendly, on said parking lot ( ? ).

I suppose, with the Empire State Building appearing just a long kick away in the background, the photo report proves that the team was in Nueva York.

12. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pleasantly surprised by Mitchell field, although it does have a running track. Does the Rutgers stadium have a track around it?

13. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    It's going to be Mitchell Field. I talked to one of the Metro front office people.

14. StarPetke12

StarPetke12 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Franklin Square,Ny
    is it really going to be mitchel??? i was hoping for that since I live so close to it. If the games are going to be held there im sure i can get my school soccer team and my club soccer team to go to the games and support the metros

15. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Considering a large portion of the season ticket base is from NJ Mitchell Field might not be the shoe-in everyone thinks it is. Then again this is the Metro front office we are talking about.

16. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't really think they want Mitchel because it's a a shoo-in-- I think it's simply the ONLY place they can find to play a playoff series.

NJ residents need to take it up with the NJSEA, not the MFO.

17. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Any possibility of using the Newark Bears stadium ? I'm sure it wouldn't be too pricey to convert it into a soccer pitch for a few games.

18. StarPetke12

StarPetke12 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Franklin Square,Ny
    Here is part of an email i received from some metro dude:

"Right now it looks like Mitchell Field on Long Island.
    It's not official yet."