Home Game Cheering?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by PSG Stunna, Aug 24, 2002.

1. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    I don't think it's being proposed as a new idea, it's being mentioned as an old idea that needs to be turned into something that actually happens.

Everybody has their reasons for being in the supporters groups, and not everyone wants to evangelize. Some just want to show up and hang out. But I think there does need to be more emphasis on actively encouraging new people to show up and take part in whatever way they choose.

One could look at the Nest this year and argue that its 'performance' this year mirrors the team's: Despite excellent showings from a small part of the group, the rest aren't showing up in enough numbers to round out the effort.

Now I am absolutely NOT trying to say that some people are better fans than others, or that you should have to be serious hardcore soccer addict to sit in the Nest, Barra, or La Norte, etc. But it would be nice enough to have a deep enough fan pool to draw from to fill these sections at every game. That will only happen if new people are brought on board, even if they only want to come to a few games.

2. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    The Screaming Eagles, in my opinion, have enough of a pool to draw upon to create atmosphere (more on the "nest" later). What we now have though, is one section of people spread into three sections. Let's not get into the number of club members that refuse to, have no interest in, or would hardly ever consider coming into the "nest". It has been my point for quite some time that the Primary function of the supporters club should be creating atmosphere. If that is the focus of the club, then it might be easier to survive this lean years.

Let's be honest, thhe atmosphere just ain't happening the past two years. I'm not blaming anyone, but let's at least consider that the "mission" of the SE's is hardly focused on "creating atmosphere".

What has not happened, for the reasons that you all mentione above, is an expansion of the core set of fans in sections 134,133,&132. It seems to be getting smaller.

Why not consolidate (or at least consider it and analyze it) into one section, so that we get a half-way decent showing at games next year? I think that our team is gunna suck for quite some time. I would not like to see this supporters club wilt away too. So, I suggest that the club should focus EXCLUSIVELY on bringing some atmosphere back. Just focusing on the "nest"...with the current occupants spread out over three sections at three rows deep, there is little to no atmosphere. No critical mass building.

Now, focusing on the membership that sits far outside the "nest": there are as many reasons as there are shades of gray as to why people don't join in with the "nest". I'm not wishing to open that can O', but I would like to see the SEs consider that all of the myriad activities of the club distracting from providing atmosphere at the matches may be affecting the clubs bottom line. Why not have an anti "suburban" sprawl campaign or "vacation in the hood"? Hell, just try stuff. Some of it may fail, but with continued campaigns, the point would become clear. I know that Nicole and Kim work MUY hard at this. I commend their work, skill, and effort. A little support from the rest of the stadium and club should be sought after.

That's my take.

Tim

3. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Amen. What is this, a Freedom game?

4. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK

The SEs will be looking for folks to gather around 6:45 (by 7 we should be organized to move ;-p).

Let's bring it on and beat these pretty boys!

K

5. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Only in the smack-talking department, Kimberly. Now eat your carrots and get lots of rest tonight so you'll have plenty of energy for yelling during the game!

Dad

;)