Home Game Cheering?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by PSG Stunna, Aug 24, 2002.

1. PSG Stunna

PSG Stunna New Member

Jul 16, 2002
    Darkness!!!
    Did we make any decisions from the other thread about marching in at a certain time or doing timed cheers?

didn't wanna lose the thread.

#1 Stunna

2. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    When we last left off...

--I think we had agreed in principal to have La Barra Brava, the Screaming Eagles, and La Norte all meet at the Lot 8 tunnel vaguely around 7pm (no time set?) To march in to the ticket area behind the sales booths. (waiting briefly and organizing the rabble) till members can get through the day of game sales ticket lines and rejoin us. (i still think your going to have to wait for them because we will need everybody we can get!!) Then it was on to one of the stadium entrances, (either the first one in the corner kick area or the 134-135-136 area one...)

No details or times or any of this had really been SET as far as i know.

--On the subject of the "timed" cheers. At last mention Kim and I briefly discussed the idea of having RFK help the DC UNITED chants out at a set time with a visual aid on the Jumbotron*. Kim wanted opnions on whether anyone thought this was dorky, but no one bothered to give their opinion :-(

(*I had suggested something simple like having the screen asking the bench side of the stadium to yell "D___C__!!!" while the Barra SE stadium side replied "UNITED!!!" to get us started. )

--So at this point, if we are going to keep on this we need to 1.) all agree (Supporters Clubs) on an official time and location(s) for the march ins.

and 2.) get everyones opinion on whether having the team use the jumbotron (done tastefully, minus a game show announcer for example!) to help coordinate a stadium wide cheer. --Owen

p.s. Diss.Note has a LOUD little cannon thing we are going to try to test at the Barra tailgate. This may come in handy for the timed chants as well but we need to test the little sucker out. :)

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is just a suggestion, so I don't want anyones panties to get all bunched up. But what if members of all the major supporter groups meet at the Barra Brava tailgate at the next game. The reasons I picked our tailgate are 1. we are right at the entrance of the parking lot in Lot 8, so you'll be driving right by us anyway, and 2. we are generally there early also. Our members are usually there by 5:00 sometimes even earlier. I think this is something we need to discuss in person. And while you're at it have a cold one on us. :) Just a thought. Comments?

4. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    hehehe the politics of supporters clubs :)

--I agree with you Chico, it is smart that way, but I can also see that the SE's and Norte are going to say... "you guys come to us, 2 of the 3 are already up front!" and that also makes some sense :)

But, to be on Chico's side... The Barra traditionally tends to be drunker and slower getting in then all pf the others so if they want us to get there with them, (and not have to wait for a late Barra to show!) starting with us and making sure we are moving might be in all our interests!

No matter what this shouldnt be a sticking point. We should be able to figure this out. I still think it is not even going to matter until we all get inside the ticket area...

5. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm not suggesting we start the march at the Barra tailgate, I'm suggesting we just MEET there next Saturday and discuss the best course of action for all the supporter groups. ie; time to start, gate to go in, entrance into the stadium...etc.
    Once we get all that hammered out everyone can go back to their own pregame rituals. One Time, one meeting, one cold beer....that's it.

6. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    GOTCHA! But why cant we all meet on Lot 6?!? hehehe JUST KIDDING! --Owen

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Lot 6? And miss the aromatic emanations of the Mighty Anacostia? I don't think so. :p

8. DissonantNote

DissonantNote New Member

Jun 30, 2002
    SW/DC
    I will make the "major sacrifice"* I discussed with McOwen and actually drive to RFK with the big cannon, as well as the little cannon next weekend! I might as well bring both so that a comparison test can be done.

Can I remember how to do it... actually DRIVE to RFK??? It's been a LONG time... the last time was in my 1972 Pinto to see a Diplomats game... that might tell you how long ago it was!!! :D

[* - the major sacrifice has something to do with forgoing a whole class of beverages]

9. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Dorky? Why would you think that Jumbo-tron led cheers are dorky???

How ever would we know that Lalas is actually a "donkey?" That Mike Burns really does eat worms? That Jason Kreis "Superstar" in fact walks like a girl and wears a bra?

Where would be the spontenaiety without Jumbo-tron led cheers? In fact, I'd be all in favor of Columbus-esque cheerleaders, for that matter.

(/sarcasm)

-G. Rex

10. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    i get you but you cant have your cake and eat it too... want "timed" cheers? fill the stadium or use the jumbo tron wisely... its that simple. you could put a broadway show on of cohesion in the supporters clubs and it wont make one bit of difference to the cheers of the joe average fan.

11. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather we sort out what we want to do before game day so I can get the word out to the SEs (like by Thursday the absolute latest so I can email folks that night). Many of our gang having been tailgating lately so it's not a reliable way to get info to our folks.

Maybe we should gather at the ped tunnel around 6:45 so most can be through the turnstiles by 7 (I believe we want to be in the seats earlier than usual so this should give the folks in the BB ticket line time to get in).

I think we should enter in the closest portal (all groups) and La Norte can continue to their section along the walkway between the 200 and 33 levels.

Lets to the DC United (clap clap stc.) cheer and continue doing until A) La Norte reaches their seats or B) the national anthem.

I'll try to poll the SEs on the Jumbotron thing. I see the merits of doing it as it I think it would encourage some of the folks who usually sit on their hands. However, I don't think I'm alone here in thinking it's distasteful that folks need an electronic message to instill passion for the team (although with our crappy play a cattle prod might be necessary!) We also don't want United to get the idea that this is something we truly want and they go nuts with it and the place turns into Crew stadium.

Yesterday's game was GOD AWFUL, no ifs and or butts. The guys must feel pretty low and this is really the time for us to add some extra confidence and inspiration.

12. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, didn't want this to drift too far (although maybe McOwen and I are the only ones who still give a crap).

K

13. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'll get with McOwen at the Barra tailgate and try to rally the troops early and head over to the Screamers tailgate area. If you have any other ideas/ suggestions, PM me or stop by the Barra tailgate.Cheers....Chico

14. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I think what this plan is missing is a lay-over at the Foggy Bottom / Red Hook stands (near section 310). I'll try and pick up the second leg if you all swing by.

Tim

P.S. Would it be a BAD idea to wear the Paper Bag during the procession? Yeah...probably so.

15. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you need a Foggy stop get in there early. Paper bags could be dangerous as you might walk past the FB stand.

K

16. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Hey Kim and gang,

Just wanted to let you know I am still on board here. I have just been rather busy since i started grad. classes this week.

Chico and I will try our best to have the Barra in order. (if any show... :-( )

--anyword on La Norte here?? They on board?

--ALSO... This thread isnt that tough... Jumbotron help or NO jumbtron help on timed cheers? People are always dying to give their predictions or opinions on ANYTHING else around here (from DC area astrology to the quality of specific beer vendors...) You think typing in an opinion on this would be easier to come by!! :)

17. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Well, here's my two cents. I'm easy, and will go along with pretty much anything. :D

I think gathering and walking in as a group is a good idea. I shall be there early to get in on it. I'll keep an eye out here for final plans.

As far as the timing on specific chants, we could start with an easy one that seems to have dropped off a little bit. At kickoff and the beginning of the 2nd half we need to get the "here we go" OR "hey ho let's go" chant going nice and strong. Maybe it's just me, but we don't seem to get this one up and running as well as in the past.

18. DissonantNote

DissonantNote New Member

Jun 30, 2002
    SW/DC
    I still care!

I still care about this and want to do the the collective march in. I guess the times mentioned are about right, but does that mean Barra Brava has to get started moving at 6:30 to make it up to the tunnel on time??? :)

Also, I think we should stick with the most simplistic of chants (DC UNITED), as I am going to have a real hard time marching, chanting, and ringing my bell at the same time. I didn't choose my username here without good reason. :D

This past Saturday at the MetroStars game the problem I worried about with even that simple DC UNITED chant happened... is it five beats/notes/claps or six? With only Tom and I with loud instruments (horn and bell), there was a glaring conflict... he was doing 5 notes and I was doing 6... normally there are enough drums, etc. at RFK that the variations aren't so noticeable!!!

Being at the Meadowlands again, I can now appreciate the minimal use of the jumbotron and PA system at RFK...

CHARGE!!!

But I do think we need a cattle prod at RFK to get chants going... the jumbotron seems the most expedient way of doing it, at least for the rest of this season. Again I think it has to be simple, like just the DC UNITED one, and not lead to general aggravating use of the jumbotron.

So yes, jumbotron help!

19. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion, the Jumbotron idea is a Pandora's box best left unopened. I can understand the reasoning behind wanting to use it, but I think it would be a slippery slope to hearing "Charge" and "Make some noise" etc and rock jock jams. I personally dread that possibility.

And, not to be a party-pooper, but I think the possibility of getting the entire section between La Norte and the Nest involved in any organized singing or cheers is extremely unlikely. I think most people who are not standing and singing during the game are doing so because...they don't really have any desire to do so. They're quite happy to drink a beer or three, eat some hot dogs with their kids and watch the game. Until the stadium begins to really fill up, it's unlikely that they're really going to get involved in any large-scale cheers or singing.

I think we're sort of barking up the wrong tree here. I think the only real way forward is to get more people in the Nest and more people in La Norte. More people in the Nest/La Norte = higher volume = better atmosphere in the stadium = we help United play better (we can only hope) = more people come to the games = more people in the Nest/La Norte. And so on.

20. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I haven't chimed in on this topic yet, but I have been reading with interest. I think the fact that we are actively considering organizing is wonderful and the biggest step to achieving the goal. Of course, it will take some time to work out the kinks, but we have 3 (at least) ...... (ok, only) games left to try to refine things. Here are my easy to read bullet points.

1) Marching in en masse

This, I think, is one of the best ways to put our stamp on the atmosphere of the match. When the casual fans see that a large group of people are moving as one, singing, drumming madly, etc. I think their mood automatically changes to one of anticipation, rather than 'here we go again'. So I think this is the most important part of Stage 1 of supporter group coalition building.

2) Predetermined song at a predetermined time

This is a tough one, but GDopplerXT has the right idea. "Here we go" or "Blitzkrieg Bop" at the start of both halves is a good way to refocus everyone on the match and to get the vocal chords warm. It's also something that we've done in the past, and should be easily picked up by those who haven't gathered and discussed in advance.

3) Using the Jumbotron to start chants/songs

In a word, NO. I don't like the precedent this sets. But I may be in the minority, so whatever. I think the most effective method of getting large numbers of people in on chants/songs is CONCENTRATION. When a chant/song starts that several people are participating in, SHUT UP AND LISTEN. Do the right thing, pick up the f'ing beat and belt it out. When it's gotten quiet and you've got an idea, SING IT LOUD and keep going until others pick it up or it becomes clear that you may be onto a lemon. Even if the jumbotron is flashing a message, if folks aren't looking for a cue it will be no more effective than the current system.

--- Finally, this isn't going to work perfectly on the first try. The important thing to do is to try and come up with some semblance of tradition, no matter how contrived it may seem. We have the easy ones. 1-> March in together 2->Song/chant at the beginning of each half. What evolves out of this will hopefully form a songbook of sorts that will grow with the club. I think it would be good to figure out what to sing/chant from the time we arrive at our sections until kickoff. That may be a long period of time, so we need to expend our voices intelligently so we have something left when the final whistle blows at 100 minutes and the score is 0-0 ;)

21. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Ditto on everything Lowecifer says, especially about #3.

Dave

22. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

I'm not sure whether I'm the first Norteno to offer comment here, but I think the Jumbotron is a stupid idea. We've neveer needed them before, and I'll be damned if we need them now. This is soccer, not football (no pun intended). Correction: this is futbol...we don't need the friggin' Jumbotron. As for marching in together, I don't know...it would be a good show of unity against the "champions" and any of their "supporters" that may be present.

23. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the thoughts on the Jumbotron and I think we'll let sleeping dogs lie. McOwen and Chico if you can get the BB up to the SE tailgate area by 6:45-6:50 we can go in from there doing the DC United cheer. La Norte guys, are you with us? Choir? It's supposed to rain on Sat so the hardcore maybe the only people there.

I think trying to coordinate songs between La Norte and the BB/SE sections is tough at this point but we can keep talking about other things to try (like getting the songs printed in the FreeKick next year).

I think next year the Supporter's club missions should be to attract more people into our sections. Maybe the 4 clubs could host an old fashioned "rush" type party at the beginning of the season next year where non affiliated fans could meet people from the various groups (and we can hard sell them into joining). If it were a pre-season event with the team I bet folks would come.

K

24. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Good ideas and points all the way around.

However, I have a question to ask: Should it not be the Supporters Club's Primary Mission any and every year to attract more people into the sections? Why should this be a "novel" idea all of the sudden?

Tim

25. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a novel idea but when the team was doing well it was a hell of a lot easier to get people to join, many would just walk up at a tailgate (back when we were more centrally located). I think we need to be thinking of more aggressive ways to attract people (although, alas, some feel the SEs are already too aggressive).

K