Holland's Upcoming Friendlies

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Amsteldam, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Good point but I'd like to see perhaps 2 more friendlies for experimentation, and the remainder for our set team to gel.

This will give them roughly the same as EPL players who dont have a winterstop

2. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    When you need extra matches for experimentation just before the WC you don't belong there. Also two matches are not going to let our team gel better then the time they'll spend just before the WC.

Not even mentioning that EPL players always join their countries tired because they play so much in their league.

3. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Julian Jenner

I assume no chance that he'll get a look by Marco at this pt

4. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think there's a few positions that need experimenting.
    Namely midfield, Hunter as a striker and in defense, so I dont see how 2 more games is gonna exhaust the lads.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The top countries never play against each other in the run-up for the world cup. You don't want the competition to get to know you too intimately, it's as simple as that, and the morale thing is important.

What Holland usually do is play a couple of decent sides who failed to qualify for the tournament in questions. Nearer the start of the world cup, they typically play against a couple of amateur sides, in Holland but also in the country where they set up camp.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Why would Van Basten experiment at this stage? It ain't broke etc. The system's sorted, as is the attack, and the midfield.

7. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    Also take into account there are no friendlies before the official WC squad will be announced. Van Basten probably knows his 23 preferred players already.

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    That's what I think as well. Only injuries can mess with his plans at this stage.

9. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Thats my whole point guys, injuries are messing with the squad.

vdVaart was out for a while, so was Opdam and Mathijsen.
    Did I leave anyone else out??

10. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So Castelan or no Castelan?

Given that Kuyt is not a true winger and van Persie and Robben are best on the left and Marco wants two players for each position, my hunch is that Castelan goes.

He's not quite up to it quality-wise but not sure we have any better options at this point.

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Van der Vaart's doing fine though. There are no serious injuries at the moment (knock wood)

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He's the one player benefitting from kalou not getting his dutch passport.

13. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Thank God, I hope it stays that way!

So who then in your opinion will be the starting XI ???????

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

--------------------Sar--------------

?---------Boularouz------Ooijer------Gio

Landzaat or Bommel--------Cocu--------Van der Vaart

Kuyt-----------------Ruud------------Robben

I have a feeling he might end up using Maduro as his right back, that's how ticked off he seems with Kromkamp.

15. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah I pretty much agree with this except I'd like to see vBommel instead of Landzaat, and Maduro would make a fine defender (even a central one IMO).

I've never been convinced by Landzaat, I think he's our weak link

16. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, Castelan definitely benefits with Kalou not coming.

Not convinced by Landzaat either.

Maduro at RB? Interesting thought - he has the qualities to do it I think

17. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    I think we made end up with Ooijer on the right and Opdam/Bouhla in the middle.

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Ooijer a leftie?

19. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I was under the impression Ooijer had played many times at right-back for PSV in the past. And very successfully I may add.

20. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Ooijer will be the rightback. And suggesting Maduro as rightback really made me laugh!

21. 88glory

88glory New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Toronto
    totally agree. am i the only one who saw the last goal scored against Ajax in Champs League? "someone" didn't defend too well on that one.... and a pressure situation is a pressure situation.

22. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    fixed that for you :p , sorry, but eventhough everybody blamed Lindenbergh for that goal, Maduro lost the ball in midfield and didn't bother tracking back. By the way, i'm now so sick of this defensive midfielder discussion, I say don't use one! play with three attacking midfielders!

Bommel, van der Vaart, Cocu

apparently though, An oranje scout has been following Wolfsburg. Hoogendorp doesnt have a shot, Hofland is out injured, so theyre probably looking at van der Leegte, who is doing well at wolfsburg.

23. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    That's not even my point. He is slow.