Holland vs Luxembourg & Belarus [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Amsteldam, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Sneijder was better than Van Persie.

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I can't believe there's actually people whingeing about Van Persie in here. If he were English, the English media would be making Pele comparisons by now.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    nonsense, football is not a one-man sport

van persie made a lot of nice individual actions, but still needs to blend his talents for the good for the team more often

there were two occasions when hunteaar could have had the simplest of tap-ins, but van persie didn't even look at him and missed on his own... regardless of how pretty he looks sometimes, that is a negative

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Tell that to Maradona.

Van Persie scored two goals for Holland and set up the third. Again why anyone would whinge about his performance is completely, entirely, and utterly beyond me.

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    only because he should have scored two and set up three!

what country are you in?!? :p

6. Oranje88

Oranje88 Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Jakarta
    Every match have man of the match. And I think this is Van Persie turned. No doubt about it. His first two goals make us comfortable, is that right. That's high value. Ignored his mistakes...

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  8. Eric_the_Orange

Sep 3, 2005
    I certainly wasn't complaining about van Persie. I simply pointed out that it's funny he was bashing Robben for not passing a few months back and now he himself is doing the same thing. It just goes to show you that when you get the hot foot you feel like you can score every time and so you try. Robben was on fire in the first World Cup game, and van Persie was on fire the other day.

If I wanted to complain about him, I'd call him a hypocrite, because that's technically what he is, but I'm just as glad as anyone to see him scoring. As I said, as long as he continues to score, you can't complain too much about a lack of passing, but at the same time you can't excuse any and all shortcomings because he does score.

9. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I agree that Johnny is better suited for Central Defense, and that his latest poor showings will result in being dropped, but then again who knows what Van Basten is looking at or thinking.

I would hope upon a full selection being available that Boula will play in the middle of the park, with the right back slot going to perhaps Kromkamp if he can regain his form at PSV, if not Ooijer could do the job.

Regarding Van Bommel it will be very interesting to see if Van Basten gives him a fair shake depending on his form at Bayern of course. Same goes for Ruud at Madrid.

I get the feeling that Van Basten loves pissing on the more experienced players, and will not include them again which is not acceptable to this Oranje supporter.

100% Oranje

/

10. Eric_the_Orange

Sep 3, 2005
    I agree entirely. I think it's pretty clear Bommel and Ruud are all but done when it comes to the national team. Marco won't be fair about it at all (he hasn't been so far, at least), and that's a bit too narrow-minded for my liking.

11. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ruud maybe but Bommel I'm not so sure yet.
    Me thinks Marco may recall him later

12. Eric_the_Orange

Sep 3, 2005
    As much as I hate to say it, the team needs Bommel more than Ruud. Ruud has done much more as a striker for Oranje than Bommel has at midfield, and Ruud is most people's sentimental favorite, but the midfield is in worse shape right now than the striker position. If Rafael could stay healthy and Sneijder could gain some consistency, it wouldn't be as bad, but I still prefer a VDV, Sneijder, MVB midfield over anything else right now.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Let's suppose Huntelaar had scored two and set up the third. I wonder what your opinion on his performance would be.

In short, if Van Persie puts in a performance like that every game he can be as selfish as he bloody likes as far as I'm concerned. And if you and Bertje genuinely want Holland to do well, you need to get over that extremely childish Van Persie hatred. The boy wins game for us, what are you complaining about.

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Finally someone who speaks sense. Bommel is by far the best Dutch player available right now for the right midfield position. If you don't rate him, tough, we don't have anyone better right now.

15. nve2k

nve2k Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Players like Schaars and de Jong can play in that position, are 7-8 years younger than van Bommel and have more to offer in that position right now.

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Whatever.

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

oh puh-lease!

i think this is more of a case of you refusing to discredit the player for anything - i gave van persie a 7.5 (tied for highest on the team) and praised him for strong finishing

you on the other hand gave him a near perfect 9 and believe he should be a sure starter for arsenal every single match, no questions asked

now... who is being unreasonable?

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You're right it's completely outlandish to give a player who scores two great goals out of a total of three and sets up a third a nine. What on earth was I thinking, giving the deciding player and man of the match such a high rating.

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    was he nearly perfect in the match? not by any damn means

btw i wasn't aware that cleaning up a rebound from the work of others was "a great goal"... i learn something new everyday

bottom line: you overpraise non-AJAX players and over-criticize AJAX players - this is no surprise to anyone that has spent 5 minutes in this forum... cripes, you've admitted as much!!!

stop trying to turn it around on me, i have said nothing against your precious van persie in ages

20. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    vPersie has been for the most part Holland's best player during the WC and after.

End of story!

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Again Van Persie decided the game for us. That merits a nine. Yes he was selfish, that's his nature. But he can do things on his own as far as I'm concerned, simply because that's what he's very good at. That's also why I don't mind Sneijder having a shot on goal when there may be better options: shooting is what he's good at and if he thinks it's worth having a go than let him. Same goes for Van Persie. On that note, I've yet to hear an Ajax fan criticise Sneijder for shooting on goal when there's other options. Van Persie is one of few creative players we've got. It's his job to be creative and create the unexpected, and he fully fulfilled that job.

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    show me i said otherwise

this is simple: we praised the guy, but it is never good enough because we also properly pointed out that van persie sometimes needs to remember he has teammates

23. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Didn't van Persie say exactly the same thing about Robben, or do I mix this up?