Holiday/Steam Sale Pickups

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Quango, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Hey, what's everybody received or bought for the holiday.

So far, I've picked up the following on Steam.

Fritz for Fun 13 (chess) ~ Won in the Steam auction. My initial impression is that it does not have a user-friendly interface and that I completely forgot how to play chess.

Defense Grid 2 ~ I really enjoyed the DG-Awakening, so this has been fun. It's pretty much the same thing with a lot more visual polish.

Never Alone ~ A lot of good press for the game. Haven't tried it yet.

Poker Night at the Inventory ~ $1.25.

Papers, Please ~ Wow, this is hard and sort of hilarious/depressing.

2. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far all I've bought is 4 pack of Castle Crashers and Telltales Game of Thrones. One of the Castle Crashers games is for myself but I bought both give as presents.

3. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've picked up "binding of isaac" complete (the original version - $.66) and "super meat boy" ($.74). i've actually made more on card sales picked up from voting in the community choice than i have spent on games. i got lucky and 2 of the first 4 cards i got were foils. made over a buck just on those two. i'm probably going to pick up "rush," "squishy the suicidal pig," "lyne," "time gentleman, please," and "hearts of iron 2" on the last day of the sale (unless they go on a bigger discount before then. all of these (except hoi2) are under $1 apiece. that's pretty much how i roll.

i may also pick up "railroad tycoon 2" as well. i have rt3 (on cd) and have put many, many hours into it over the years and have wanted to see what the older versions were like. i didn't even know they were on steam until a few days ago. that's one game i'd really like to see another sequel to as it's been a loooong time since rt3 came out, and i think it could really stand to benefit from some of the technology improvements in the industry.

other games i plan on getting only if they go on a deeper discount are:
    "a bird story" - not really a game per se, and sort of a sequel to "to the moon" which is in my top 5 games of all time.
    "bastion" - always heard good things about it, but have never gotten around to getting it.
    "the longest journey" - heard great things about it.
    "valiant hearts" - looks/sounds like something i'd be really interested in
    "pes15" - haven't had a new soccer game in forever and it sounds like this version is back to their glory days.

"brothers: a tale of two sons" is currently only $1.49. if you don't have it yet, i highly recommend it. it's reaaaally good. it's short, only about 4 hours or so, and you must play with a controller (preferably one that can vibrate), but it's quite simply one of the best experiences i've had with a video game... ever.

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  4. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I went on a bit of a spree
    I got Bioshock Trilogy, Company of Heroes, Fallout 3 GOTY edition, Fallout New Vegas, Far Cry 3, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Portal 2, Mafia 2, System Shock 2, Alan Wake, Tomb Raider (the latest rebooted one), Trine 1 and 2, Walking Dead season 2, Wolf Among Us, Super Meat Boy, Gone Home and Ms Splosion Man

Cost me between 50-60 Euro total. Some of them I bought as presents.

5. Quango

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That is pretty lucky. I got one, but later on. Ended up buying the rest to get the foil badge. I think you might have posted after Bastion went on sale, but I definitely recommend picking it up at some point. I would buy the package with the soundtrack as it is excellent to listen to separate from the game.

I ended up picking up a few more games.

South Park: Stick of Truth

To The Moon

Tales from the Borderlands ~ My first go at one of the TTG series. Good, I enjoyed it. Psyched when I realized Fiona was voiced by my Saints Row III character.

Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus ~ Interesting story based game. Different from anything I've played, but so far enjoyable.

6. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    speaking of a good soundtrack, this hits that note as well. i look forward to hearing your thoughts about this one when you finish it. my recommendation is, at a minimum, to play the last 1-2 hrs of the game straight through with as few interruptions as possible. it should take you around 4-5 total hrs, so you'll know after you've played it a couple hours when you need to set some time aside to finish it. such a fabulous little game and story.

7. Quango

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Thanks for that recommendation, although it has me a bit hesitant to start the game as 1-2 hour, uninterrupted blocks are limited for me at the moment thanks to my 2 yr. old. I've burned through the single player campaign of Defense Grid 2 which is easily done in short chunks. Really like the graphics upgrade, but unsure how much I want to go back and play the extra game modes. I may check out the workshop levels.

8. Quango

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I got time over the long weekend to play To The Moon and enjoyed it a lot. I didn't agree with Eva's decision at the end, but I enjoyed the unfolding story so much that I was okay with it. This along with Analogue: A Hate Story really demonstrated some of the terrific story telling happening in indie games right now. Really happy with my purchases during the sale so far.