Hoddle Is Mad

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by jumhed, Jan 30, 2003.

1. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Letting Ferdi and Rebrov go before getting another striker. Keano gets injured and who joins the attack against Newkie? Central defender Gary bleeding Doherty.

Crowd chanted 'You're worse than Alan Sugar' after the game against the toon to Daniel Levy.

We've been linked to Miraslav Klose, the Polish Kraut.

2. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    any word today about Keane's injury? will it keep him out of the Chelsea match? hope not...

3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    bump.

jumhed repped this.
  4. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I like Levy. Don't understand why some Spurs fans have a go at him.

5. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Also, can't believe you bumped a thread from 2003.

6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    You've not been around much of late - welcome back, by the way - or it might make more sense. You see, that time - last June - was a bit of a rough patch for Spurs, what with Kane wanting out and our manager hunt going poorly. And our good friend Golara was having a bit of a struggle reconciling his love for Spurs to our chairman's leadership. He's not the first, of course, but he was really having a tough time of it, and it was reflected in virtually everything he typed (and said, I'm guessing, but perhaps his job and family provide a diversion in the difficult times). His venom for Levy was off the charts ... I think he blamed him for the weather at one point. I would typically point out that it's miles better under Levy than came before, but I think it just came off as me being contrary.

At any rate, this thread bump was just to let Golara know that he wasn't alone, in place or time ... that loathing Levy is as old as his tenure, itself. It was kinda like the episode of m*a*s*h when Hawkeye and BJ got into a big fight as a birthday present for Major Burns.

I can't help it. Spreading joy is what I do.

Funkfoot, Golara and soccernutter repped this.
  7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    You obviously didn't see the scenes outside the stadium last season. I am far from being the only one...

8. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I did see, I just disagree. I remember the Sugar and Scholar years.
    Under Levy, who's leadership hasn't been perfect, we've gone from midtable mediocrity to a CL Final and runners-up in the PL. If it wasn't for serious sports washing of football finances from City and to a lesser extent Chelsea, then Spurs would be top 4 every season.

The entitlement of some fans (not you, I don't know you, peace) baffles my brains.

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    To be fair, some of Levy's cock-ups (Stratford, the Super League, selling Daws, etc.) have been monumental. And you can pretty much bank that every second step forward will be followed by another one back. But the general trajectory upward is undeniable.

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    You guys obviously measure success differently - one trophy in 20 years is not exactly stellar for a club of our size.

11. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When there are only 4 trophies available per year, and money and power is increasingly concentrated in the very richest teams, it makes sense to adjust your expectations.

Our pride at being the first modern team to get a double is almost quaint now. Chelsea and City routinely get 2 trophies per season or more. It was bad enough in the ManU/Arsenal dominance of the 90's/early 00's but the oil clubs have taken it to a new extreme.

I totally agree with you that 1 league cup in 20 years is poor, by our standards. But we have been to 4 finals since, so the margins are small. I want better, but I have patience.

12. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Personally, I think the ESL is an excellent idea. It just needed promotion and relegation.
    The CL has become a bloated mess, and is about to become even more bloated and with unattractive games.

ESL is where it's at, although the fact they asked Spurs and Arsenal is hilarious.

13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Saying the ESL would be fine if only it had pro/rel is like saying Korean massage parlors would be perfectly acceptable if it weren't for the illicit handjobs. Isolating themselves from potential failure was the whole point. It was the ESL's raison d'etre.