Historic World Wide Balon d'Or 23 player short lists

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Tom Stevens, Jan 8, 2016.

1. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Players from 1st tier countries that could be mentioned some year in the 1920s, imho.
    Scotland: none missed.
    Uruguay
    : José Benincasa, Isabelino Gradín, René Borjas, Andrés Mazzali, Lorenzo Fernández
    Czechoslovakia: Karel Steiner, Ladislav Ženíšek.
    Hungary: Z.Blum, M.Pataki, K.Zsák, Z.Opata, B.Guttman, G.Mándi, M.Bukovi
    England: G.Wilson, J.Peacock, J.Bradford, J.Hulme

Perú FC and Tom Stevens repped this.
  2. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Players from countries outside the radar that could be mentioned in the 1920s. Just throwing some names that could be interesting for the thread (not necessarily could get an HM).
    Egypt: Hussein Hegazi, Mokhtar El-Tetsh.
    South Africa: G.Hodgson, E.Stuart
    USA: A.Stark.
    Yugoslavia: R.Rupec, B.Marjanović
    Turkey: Zeki Riza Sporel
    Norway: E.Gundersen
    Poland: J.Kałuża
    Portugal: A.Silva, J.Vieira
    Perú: A.Saldarriaga
    Romania: A.Guga
    China: Lee Wai Tong

Sorry, If I derail the thread.
    I'm really enjoying the lists :cool:

3. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hodgson and Marjanović were two I took a look at but never really found a place for.

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Very solid effort this. I think all the top players from the World Cup made it in. I think Brook might be lucky to be included in a World Cup year but I think this is an excellent selection (as are the others, but I'm just a lot more familiar with World Cup achievements).

AD78 repped this.
  5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Great work Tom.

I had a quick think about players I might have expected to see mentioned that weren't and a name that came to mind was Franz Binder. Was he close to consideration at all? I guess it's still possible, as opposed to inevitable for former team-mate Bican adding to his 1934 mention, that he gets included in years not yet addressed. But anyway yeah, I'm curious about him as his reputation is obviously quite high and his name quite well known (I did see a reference online from a book about John Charles I think, with some Austrian comparing him to Binder although curiously in a match in which Charles played at centre back if I understood correctly).

I'm thinking 1938 and 1939 could see inclusions for Stanley Matthews (who you already had close before) and Tommy Lawton. Perhaps even Fritz Walter right at the start of his career?

I know you did some great research on the Mitropa Cup anyway, and I'm wondering if Binder missed out regarding that a little (as well as not having played in a World Cup)?

6. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fully expecting Bican to be in there in the later 30s especially 1938 despite missing the World Cup (definitely in the 40s but not sure if Tom will break for the war years) . Re Tommy Lawton totally agree and could see him as one of the top 3 for 1939. Also I would expect Binder will probably feature in the late 30s early 40s.

Tom Stevens, comme and PDG1978 repped this.
  7. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I felt pretty sure this year for Meazza definitely being top 3 and probably Sindelar also, the third one was the trickier selection.

8. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Great list, completely agree with top 3, despite Erico's heroics I really fancy Sarosi with a strong international year and outstanding Mitropa Cup performance for teh top spot. Interested to see where you place Doherty and Brook, who had the best year and would both be top ten contenders?

9. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'd stick by that although the 1925 Scottish Cup Final (Celtic 2-1 Dundee) is fondly known as The Patsy Gallacher Final. Mainly for the goal described below -

Here it is in pictures (maybe a tad exaggerated... :D)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gregoriak and msioux75 repped this.
  10. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have been close with Binder a number of times. In 33, 35, 36, and 37 he was honorable mention. He will probably make the 23 in 39 and 41. You are right in that not playing major roles in World Cups or Mitropa Cups has hurt him. He has just not put it all together in one season. His best domestic goalscroing seasons 1933 (25 goals 22 games) and 1937 (29 goals 22 games) he failed to win the league or make a major impact with Austria. In 1935 he won the league but had more pedestrian goalscoring numbers (21 goals 22 games out scored by teammate Matthias Kaburek) and failed to make an impact internationally (2 caps no goals). His best international year 1936 (4 caps 5 goals) he failed to win the league or have a great goalscoring average (22 games 17 goals).

PDG1978 repped this.
  11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, it looked like if anything 36 and 37 were standing out (in 34 was it the case that he was just not an established first choice for Austria wheras Bican was? He wasn't injured was he?) but you're right no year seemed an obvious choice and of course your research of many players gives you plenty of good candidates that could have been in such a selection. I did think he might be in when it came to the years around the turn of the decade anyway yeah. It's hard to know but maybe he is a player that can be judged quite well by his scoring rate (but like you say it seems variable over different competitions in different years)? A lot of players were scoring around a goal a game in that time anyway I suppose.

12. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Andreolo, Michele (Bologna, Italy)
    Bastin, Cliff (Arsenal England)
    Bican, Josef (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Colaussi, Gino (Triestina, Italy)
    Da Guia, Domingos (Flamengo, Brazil)
    de la Mata, Vicente (Independiente)
    Erico, Arsenio (Independiente)
    Ferrari, Giovanni (Internazionale, Italy)
    Hapgood, Eddie (Arsenal, England)
    Lawton, Tommy (Everton, England)
    Leonidas (Flamengo, Brazil)
    Locatelli, Ugo (Internazionale, Italy)
    Meazza, Giuseppe (Internazionale, Italy)
    Severino Minelli (Grasshoppers, Switzerland)
    Moreno, Jose Manuel (River Plate, Argentina)
    Pellicciari, Romeu (Fluminense, Brazil)
    Piola, Silvio (Lazio, Italy)
    Plánička, František (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Rava, Pietro (Juventus, Italy)
    Sárosi, György (Frenencvaros, Hungary)
    Sastre, Antonio (Independiente)
    Walker, Tommy (Hearts, Scotland)
    Zsengellér, Gyula (Ujpest, Hungary)

Honorable Mention: Matthias Sindelar, Oldřich Nejedlý, Aldo Olivieri, Alfredo Foni, Stanley Matthews, Stan Cullis, Bill Shankly, Ernest Wilimowski, Fernando Peyroteo, André Abegglen, Jorge Alcalde, Ferenc Sas, Antal Szalay, José Perácio

By Country: Italy (7), Argentina (3), England (3), Brazil (3), Hungary (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Scotland (1), Switzerland (1), Paraguay (1)

By League: By Country: Italy (7), Argentina (4), England (3), Brazil (3), Hungary (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Scotland (1), Switzerland (1)

Another World Cup year, with again all the top continental powers and this time adding a top South American side. This years 23 was basically the top World Cup performers plus a few Brits and players from the Argentina league. Bican was the only continental player to get in despite his absence from the World Cup. He was amazing in the Mitropa Cup crushing Inter Milan, Italian Champions chalk full of internationals, by a score of 8-2 scoring 5 of those goals himself. He scored 10 goals in 8 games and led Slavia to their first Mitrpoa Cup title. He also scored 8 goals in 3 games for the Czechs post World Cup.

In Britain Arsenal won the league again, led by Bastin and Hapgood. Young striker Tommy Lawton was the leagues top scorer and scored in his first four internationals. Scotland had a second consecutive fantastic year internationally, going 5-0 this year, recording wins over Hungary and England. Tommy Walker was the star scoring 6 times in 5 games. He also led Hearts to second in the table. Bill Shankly was also excellent for Scotland, as well as leading Preston to third in table and winning the FA Cup.

In Argentina Independiente and River Plate again fought for the title, this time with Independiente winning by two points. Independiente were led by their fabulous inside trio of de le Mata, Sastre and Erico. The broke Rivers goalscoring record of the previous year by scoring 115 goals, a new record would never be broken. Erico again led the way, scoring 43 goals in 30 games. He had a chance to break his own goalscoring record, despite playing in less games, but past up goalscoring opportunities in the final two games of the year in order to finish the season with 43 goals and win a cash prize offered by a cigarette brand named "43 cigarettes" to anyone who scored 43 goals in a year.

There were only a few World Cup performers that I could not fit into the top 23 Wilimowski, Abegglen, Perácio, Foni, Szalay, Sas, and Olivieri. Would really like to get in Shankly and Matthews as well. Not sure who would be the main possibilities to drop for any of these guys. Possibly Lawton, Romeu, Minelli, or Plánička.

The top three was pretty clear to me with two really good candidates that there was no room for in Sarois and Bican. It was really tough to leave Sarosi out as he was great in the World Cup and very good in the Mitropa Cup (2nd place 7 goals in 8 games) and won the domestic league. Bican has a more built in excuse because he did not play the World Cup.

Perú FC, Gregoriak, PDG1978 and 3 others repped this.
  13. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Alcalde, Jorge (River Plate, Peru)
    Bican, Josef (Slavia Prague, Bohemia)
    Binder, Franz (Rapid Vienna, Germany)
    Castillo, Segundo (Sport Boys, Peru)
    Cullis, Stan (Wolverhampton Wanderers, England)
    Fernandez, Teodoro (Universitario, Peru)
    Garcia, Enrique (Racing, Argentina)
    Masantonio, Herminio (Hurricane, Argentina)
    Mercer, Joe (Everton, England)
    Nejedlý, Oldřich (Sparta Prague, Bohemia)
    Porta, Roberto (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Puricelli, Hector (Bologna)
    Sastre, Antonio (Independiente, Argentina)
    Teleco (Cornithians)

Honorable Mention: Wilhelm Hahnemann, Adolf Urban, Fritz Szepan, Helmut Schön, Paul Janes, Ernst Kuzorra, Ernst Lehner, Vlastimil Kopecký, Jan Riha, György Sárosi, Amedeo Biavati, Gino Colaussi, Aldo Olivieri, Torrance Gillick, Alex Venters, Désiré Koranyi, Grigoriy Fedotov, Alfred Bickel, Severino Minelli, Isidro Langara, Emilio Baldonedo, Atilio García, Carvalho Leite

By Country: Argentina (5), England (3), Peru (3), Brazil (3), Italy (2), Bohemia (2), Uruguay (2), Hungary (1), Germany (1), Paraguay (1)

By League: Argentina (7), England (3), Italy (3), Peru (2), Rio de Janeiro (2), Bohemia (2), Uruguay (1), Hungary (1), Germany (1), Sao Paulo (1)

In England, Everton won the title with a full fledged star appearing in Lawton, who was top scorer with 38 goals. Along with Mercer they had a great young core and could have been the team of English the 40s. Stan Cullis was another rising star in England, as he led Wolves to runners up finishes in the league and FA Cup. England would have had an amazing young core in the 40s based around Lawton, Carter, Mercer, Matthews, and Cullis who were all established internationals at this point.

On the continent Germany played an extensive schedule and I considered a number of their players, but the player who did the damage for them vs strong opponents (again Germany played and extensive schedule but mostly vs poor teams) was Binder. after going down 3-0 to Bohemia Binder scored a hat trick to pull Germnay back in a game that ended in a draw. Binder also scored a hat trick in an impressive 5-2 win vs Italy. The Swiis were also very impressive going 5-1-0 and beating both World Cup finalists from the previous year, Hungary and Italy. There win over Italy snapped Italy's unbeaten run that dated back to 1935. I am not sure who the best candidate is for Switzerland, but if anyone can recommend one I would likely try to find a place for them. Bickel and Minelli are the two big names that were active this year. Ujpest won the Mitropa Cup, led by Zsengellér who scored 9 goals in 6 games. Zsengellér also led Ujpest to the domestic title scoring an amazing 56 goals in 26 games.

In South America a watered down version of the South American Championships was played, with both Argentina and Brazil missing. Peru took home its first title with an impressive display. Argentina and Brazil played in back to back games for the Copa Roca, both in Rio. Argentina won the first in impressive fashion 5-1, with braces from Masantonio and Moreno. Brazil bounced back to win the second game a week later 3-2. Leonidas and Enrique Garcia scored in both games. Domestically, stars of the World Cup Leonidas and Domingos Da Guia returned to lead Flamengo to the Carioca title, while Corinthians continued its domination of the Paulista behind a massive goalscoring display from Teleco, 32 goals in 20 games. In Argentina Independiente cruised to its second straight title, this time with 6 points between themselves and co runners up River Plate and Huracan. The top three far outdistanced the rest of the league in points and goals scored. Erico again broke the 40 goal plateau and Sastre's reputation had grown to the point where some may have thought him Erico and Moreno's equal is the best player in the league.

The final three was difficult. Independiente's reputation had risen to the point where I could easily envision them having two top three candidates in Sastre and Erico. They absolutely dominated all competitions they entered, crushing both Penarol and Nacional in the Copa Aldo. There were two great candidates as well from Europe in Lawton and Zsengellér. I am not sure who I should leave out of the four. Zsengellér would be a no brainer in other years but the Mitropa Cup had lost Austrian teams from the mix,, who were replaced with inferior Yugoslavian and Romanian teams.

Perú FC, Gregoriak, AD78 and 2 others repped this.
  14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    By this time the 21-year-old Pedernera is the best/second best player of River Plate, should likely be included in the list of 23.

15. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would be more likely to consider him in 37 or 38. In 39 he only played 20 games and scored 7 goals.

16. elegos7

elegos7 Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Hi Tom,

In 1939 maybe Sastre could be left out, leaving Erico, Zsengellér and Lawton in the Top 3.

Do you plan to make revisions and decide on the order of the Top 3 (or maybe even more players) in each year of the 1930s, just as you have done for the 1920s?

Tom Stevens repped this.
  17. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Another good list, personally, my top 3 this year would be Zsengellér, Erico and Lawton.

18. Puskas 1988

Puskas 1988 Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Not sure whether it's been mentioned already, but re Binder (and Bican's first years) check the website rapidarchiv. It contains the details of every single match ever played by Rapid Wien, including the lineups and the goalscorers. Invaluable.

Great, great thread by the way :)

Pipiolo, Tom Stevens and PDG1978 repped this.
  19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I did see a page listing all Binder's goals I think, which could have been on that website too (I was able to have a look when he'd scored in the Mitropa Cup for example).

20. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Nice to see peruvians listed here!

Segundo "Titina" Castillo just like his teammate Jorge "Campolo" Alcalde earned a transfer to an argentinian club after Copa America 1939, Castillo playing in a small argentine team was demanded by some clubs to strengthen them in friendlies, but I hadn't more info about his performance there.
    In the Copa America he was surpringsinly (to me) used as Right Half, placing as CH a newcomer to the NT, arguably still performing good there, I'm not so sure whether Castillo could been so crucial in the play as RH.
    For sure I think 1937 is a better year for Castillo.

btw, in this blogspot, is cited that two of the main peruvian newspapers of the era, El Comercio and El Callao, rated Jorge Alcalde as the Best Player of the Copa 1939. RSSSF had "Lolo" Fernandez as Best plus goalscorer. So, those two had a better case to be in the 23 list, imho.
    http://elinaresm.blogspot.pe/2014/02/peru-campeon-del-sudamericano-de-1939.html

Other peruvian players that could had a mention, imho, in this decade are:
    - Alejandro Villanueva, 1931, 1935 or 1936
    - Juan Valdivieso, same years.
    What hurts their chances is that local league wasn't played in 1936 (a great year for "Lolo" Fernandez too) due to preparation to Olympics, but played some intl. friendlies at club level.
    In 1935, Alianza Lima had a succesfull tour in Chile, in which Valdivieso and Villanueva starred and were rated among the better South American players at the time for the local press.
    In 1931, Alianza dominated the local league, but also had important victories in its international matches against yugoslavian Hajduk Split and clubs from South America.

Perú FC, Gregoriak and comme repped this.
  21. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes working on revisions now.

22. Puskas 1988

Puskas 1988 Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Can't remember from which sourcers I compiled it exactly, but a while ago I tried to find Sindelar's club numbers and I came out with this:

1921-1922 Hertha Wien >> league: 6 matches-1 goal, Cup 0 matches-0 goal
    1922-1923 Hertha Wien >> league: 17-3, Cup 1-0
    1923-1924 Hertha Wien >> league: 0-o, Cup 1-0
    1924-1925 Wiener Amateur >> league: ?-4. Cup 0-0
    1925-1926 Wiener Amateur >> league: 7 2, Cup 5-4
    1926-1927 Austria Wien >> league: ?-18, Cup 5-3
    1927-1928 Austria Wien >> league: 19-8, Cup 2-1
    1928-1929 Austria Wien>> league: ?-7, Cup 3-1
    1929-1930 Austria Wien >> league: ?-14, Cup ?-1
    1930-1931 Austria Wien >> league: ?-14, Cup ?-6+
    1931-1932 Austria Wien >> league: ?-15, Cup ?-0
    1932-1933 Austria Wien >> league: ?-11, Cup ?-6+, Mitropa Cup 6-5
    1933-1934 Austria Wien >> league: ?-22, Cup 3-4, Mitropa Cup 2-1
    1934-1935 Austria Wien >> league: ?-9, Cup ?-7, Mitropa Cup 7-8
    1935-1936 Austria Wien >> league: ?-8, Cup ?-6, Mitropa Cup ?-4
    1936-1937 Austria Wien >> league: ?-13, Cup ?-5, Mitropa Cup ?-6
    1937-1938 Austria Wien >> league: 15-9, Cup ?-0
    1938-1939 Austria Wien >> league: ?-0, Cup ?-?

23. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Revised lists and Rankings. Top 3 plus any players who I gave serious consideration to are also ranked.

Andrade, Jose Leonadro (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Avar, István (Ujpest, Hungary)
    Blenkinsop, Ernie (Sheffield Wednesday, England)
    Cea, Pedro (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Cherro, Roberto (Boca Juniors, Argentina)
    Crooks, Sammy (Derby County, England)
    Gallacher, Hughie (Newcastle, Scotland)
    Hoffman, Richard (Dresdner, Germany)
    Jack, David (Arsenal, England)
    Jørgensen, Pauli (Frem, Denmark)
    Monti, Luis (San Lorenzo, Argentina)
    Nasazzi, José (Bella Vista, Uruguay)
    Orsi, Raimundo (Juventus, Italy)
    Rimmer, Ellis (Sheffield Wednesday, England)
    Smistik, Josef (Rapid Vienna, Austria)
    Stabile, Guillermo (Huracan, Argentina)
    Svoboda, František (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Takács, József (Frenencvaros, Hungary)
    Watson, Vic (West Ham, England)
    Weselik, Franz (Rapid Vienna, Austria)
    Wesely, Ferdinand (Rapid Vienna, Austria)

By Country: England (5), Austria (3), Uruguay (3), Argentina (3), Czechoslovakia (2), Hungary (2), Italy (2), Scotland (1), Germany (1), Denmark (1)

By League: England (6), Austria (3), Uruguay (3), Argentina (3), Czechoslovakia (2), Hungary (2), Italy (2), Germany (1), Denmark (1)

1. Giuseppe Meazza
    2. István Avar
    3. José Nasazzi

Bastin, Cliff (Arsenal, England)
    Blum, Josef (First Vienna, Austria)
    Combi, Gianpiero (Juventus, Italy)
    Ferrari, Giovanni (Juventus , Italy)
    Ferraris, Attilio (Roma, Italy)
    Figueroa, Roberto (Wanderers)
    Gschweidl, Fritz (First Vienna, Austria)
    Jack, David (Arsenal)
    James, Alex (Arsenal)
    McGrory, Jimmy (Celtic, Scotland)
    Rainer, Karl (First Vienna, Austria)
    Schall, Anton (Admira Vienna, Austria)
    Scopelli, Alejandro (Estudiantes)
    Sindelar, Matthias (FK Austria, Austria)
    Smistik, Josef (Rapid Vienna, Austria)
    Varallo, Francisco (Boca Junior)
    Waring, Thomas (Aston Villa , England)
    Zozaya, Alberto (Estudiantes)

By Country: Austria (6), Italy (5), England (4), Argentina (3), Scotland (2), Hungary (1), Czechoslovakia (1), Uruguay (1)

By League: Austria (6), Italy (5), England (5, Argentina (3), Scotland (1), Hungary (1), Czechoslovakia (1), Uruguay (1)

1. Raimundo Orsi
    2. Alex James
    3. Matthias Sindelar
    4. Thomas Waring
    5. Fritz Gschweidl

Blenkinsop, Ernie (Sheffield Wednesday, England)
    Braine, Raymond (Sparta Prague)
    Cesarini, Renato (Juventus, Italy)
    Dean, Dixie (Everton, England)
    Fedullo, Francisco (Bologna, Italy)
    Ferreyra, Bernabe (River Plate)
    Macfadyen, Willie (Motherwell)
    Monzeglio, Eraldo (Bologna, Italy)
    Nausch, Walter (FK Austria, Austria)
    Nejedlý, Oldřich (Sparta Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Peucelle, Carlos (River Plate)
    Petrone, Pedro (Fiorentina)
    Quincoces, Jacinto (Real Madrid, Spain)
    Schall, Anton (Admira Vienna, Austria)
    Schiavio, Angelo (Bologna, Italy)
    Takács, József (Frenencvaros)
    Toldi, Geza (Frenencvaros, Hungary)
    Turay, József (Frenencvaros, Hungary)
    Zischek, Karl (Wacker Vienna, Austria)

By Country: Italy (6), Austria (4), England (3), Hungary (3), Argentina (2), Czechoslovakia (1), Spain (1), Scotland (1), Belgium (1), Uruguay (1)

By League: Italy (7), Austria (4), England (3), Hungary (3), Argentina (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Spain (1), Scotland (1)

1. Matthias Sindelar
    2. Bernabe Ferreyra
    3. Raimundo Orsi
    4. Dixie Dean

Brook, Eric (Manchester City, England)
    Caligaris, Umberto (Juventus, Italy)
    Combi, Gianpiero (Juventus, Italy)
    Dean, Dixie (Everton, England)
    Garcia, Diego (San Lorenzo)
    James, Alex (Arsenal)
    Monti, Luis (Juventus, Italy)
    Nasazzi, José (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Pellicciari, Romeu (Palestra Italia)
    Puč, Antonín (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Rosetta, Virginio (Juventus , Italy)
    Varallo, Francisco (Boca Junior, Argentina)

By Country: Italy (9), England (3), Argentina (2), Austria (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Hungary (1), Uruguay (1), Spain (1), Brazil (1), Scotland (1)

By League: Italy (9), England (4), Argentina (2), Austria (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Hungary (1), Uruguay (1), Spain (1), Sao Paulo (1)

1. Matthias Sindelar
    2. Cliff Bastin
    3. Luis Monti
    4. Alex James
    5. Giuseppe Meazza
    6. Raimundo Orsi

Allemandi, Luigi (Internazionale, Italy)
    Bican, Josef (Rapid Vienna, Austria)
    Caceres, Delfin Benitez (Boca Junior, Argentina)
    Conen, Edmund (Saarbrücken, Germany)
    Guaita, Enrique (Roma, Italy)
    Monti, Luis (Juventus, Italy)
    Monzeglio, Eraldo (Bologna, Italy)
    Puč, Antonín (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Szepan, Fritz (Schalke, Germany)
    Zamora, Ricardo (Real Madrid, Spain)
    Zischek, Karl (Wacker Vienna, Austria)

By Country: Italy (8), England (3), Czechoslovakia (3), Spain (2), Austria (2), Germany (2), Argentina (1), Hungary (1), Paraguay (1)

By League: Italy (8), England (3), Czechoslovakia (3), Spain (2), Austria (2), Germany (2), Argentina (2), Hungary (1)

1. Giuseppe Meazza
    2. Oldřich Nejedlý
    3. Eric Brook

Abegglen, André (Sochaux, Switzerland)
    Caceres, Delfin Benitez (Boca Junior)
    Castro, Hector (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Ciocca, Anibal (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Da Guia, Domingos (Boca Junior)
    Drake, Ted (Arseanl, England)
    Guaita, Enrique (Roma, Italy)
    James, Alex (Arsenal)
    Košťálek, Josef (Sparta Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Lángara, Isidro (Oviedo, Spain)
    Lehner, Ernst (Schwaben, Germany)
    Nasazzi, José (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Rimmer, Ellis (Sheffield Wednesday)

By Country: England (4), Czechoslovakia (3), Italy (3), Uruguay (3), Argentina (2), Austria (1), Hungary (1), Spain (1), Germany (1), Switzerland (1), Brazil (1), Belgium (1), Scotland (1)

By League: England (5), Czechoslovakia (4), Italy (3), Uruguay (3), Argentina (3), Austria (1), Hungary (1), Spain (1), Germany (1), France (1)

1. Raymond Braine
    2. Ted Drake
    3. György Sárosi
    4. Matthias Sindelar
    5. Enrique Guaita

Allemandi, Luigi (Roma, Italy)
    Carter, Raich (Sunderland, England)
    Cseh, László (MTK, Hungary)
    Drake, Ted (Arseanl, England)
    Ferreyra, Bernabe (River Plate)
    Garcia, Diego (San Lorenzo, Argentina)
    Gurney, Bobby (Sunderland)
    Lángara, Isidro (Oviedo, Spain)
    Male, George (Arsenal, England)
    McGrory, Jimmy (Celtic)
    Minella, José María (River Plate, Argeninta)
    Mock, Johann (FK Austria, Austria)
    Monzeglio, Eraldo (Roma, Italy)
    Peucelle, Carlos (River Plate, Argentina)
    Sesta, Karl (FK Austria, Austria)

By Country: England (5), Argentina (5), Italy (4), Austria (3), Hungary (2), Czechoslovakia (1), Spain (1), Scotland (1), Belgium (1)

By League: England (5), Argentina (5), Italy (4), Austria (3), Hungary (2), Czechoslovakia (2), Spain (1), Scotland (1)

1. Matthias Sindelar
    2. Giuseppe Meazza
    3. Raich Carter

Carter, Raich (Sunderland, England)
    Cseh, László (MTK, Hungary)
    Doherty, Peter (Manchester City, Northern Ireland)
    Ferreyra, Bernabe (River Plate, Argentina)
    Patesko (Botafogo, Brazil)
    Pedernera, Adolfo (River Plate)
    Peucelle, Carlos (River Plate, Argentina)
    Sesta, Karl (FK Austria, Austria)
    Szepan, Fritz (Schalke, Germany)
    Tim (Fluminense, Brazil)
    Toro, Raúl (Wanderers, Chile)
    Varela, Severino (Penarol, Uruguay)

By Country: Argentina (6), Hungary (3), Austria (3), England (2), Italy (2), Brazil (2), Uruguay (1), Chile (1), Germany (1), Northern Ireland (1), Paraguay (1)

By League: Argentina (7), Hungary (3), Austria (3), England (3), Italy (2), Rio de Janeiro (2), Uruguay (1), Chile (1), Germany (1)

1. György Sárosi
    2. Arsenio Erico
    3. Jose Manuel Moreno
    4. Silvio Piola
    5. Peter Doherty

Bican, Josef (Slavia Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Colaussi, Gino (Triestina, Italy)
    Ferrari, Giovanni (Internazionale, Italy)
    Košťálek, Josef (Sparta Prague, Czechoslovakia)
    Locatelli, Ugo (Internazionale, Italy)
    Severino Minelli (Grasshoppers, Switzerland)
    Rava, Pietro (Juventus, Italy)
    Sastre, Antonio (Independiente)
    Walker, Tommy (Hearts, Scotland)

By Country: Italy (7), Argentina (3), England (3), Czechoslovakia (3), Brazil (2), Hungary (2), Switzerland (1), Scotland (1), Paraguay (1)

By League: Italy (7), Argentina (4), England (3), Czechoslovakia (3), Brazil (2), Hungary (2), Switzerland (1), Scotland (1)

1. Arsenio Erico
    2. Leonidas
    3. Silvio Piola
    4. György Sárosi
    5. Josef Bican

Alcalde, Jorge (River Plate, Peru)
    Bican, Josef (Slavia Prague, Bohemia)
    Bickel, Alfred (Grasshoppers, Switzerland)
    Binder, Franz (Rapid Vienna, Germany)
    Cullis, Stan (Wolverhampton Wanderers, England)
    Fernandez, Teodoro (Universitario, Peru)
    Masantonio, Herminio (Hurricane, Argentina)
    Mercer, Joe (Everton, England)
    Nejedlý, Oldřich (Sparta Prague, Bohemia)
    Porta. Roberto (Nacional, Uruguay)
    Puricelli, Hector (Bologna)
    Teleco (Cornithians)

By Country: Argentina (5), England (3), Brazil (3), Italy (2), Bohemia (2), Peru (2), Uruguay (2), Germany (1), Hungary (1), Switzerland (1), Paraguay (1)

By League: Argentina (7), England (3), Italy (3), Rio de Janerio (2), Bohemia (2), Peru (1), Uruguay (1), Germany (1), Hungary (1), Switzerland (1), Sao Paulo (1)

1. Arsenio Erico
    2. Gyula Zsengellér
    3. Tommy Lawton
    4. Antonio Sastre

24. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    All Star teams, 1 point to make 23, bonus point for making final ranked group.

Some players are slightly out of position with center halves at left/right half ect, trying to get the most qualified guys as oppose to perfect position.

Team A

Bastin (7)----------Sindelar (11)----------Orsi (8)

---------Meazza (11)-------------Nejedlý (6)

----Andreolo (4)----Sarosi (8)----Monti (4)

----------Nasazzi (4)------Hapgood (4)

---------------------Plánička (4)

Team B

Brook (4)----------Piola (6)----------Guaita (3)

---------Sastre (6)-----------James (5)

----Košťálek (2)----Szepan (2)----Nausch (3)

--------Monzeglio (3)------Quincoces (3)

---------------------Combi (2)

Team C

Crooks (3)----------Erico (6)----------Peucelle (3)

---------Ferrari (5)-----------Moreno (5)

----Ferraris (1)----Smistik (2)----Minella (1)

--------Da Guia (3)------Allemandi (2)

---------------------Zamora (1)

25. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No Braine?