Hispanic Heritage Night

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Revs-West, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    HHN is on April 30th.....the night of the match against CD Goats. Why not just say,"We can't get enough Revs fans in here, let's get the opposition's fans instead!"

I'm just sayin'....

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    So, ah... are you just suggesting that all Hispanics are Chivas supporters?

3. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Reverse the statement and replace "all" with a "vast majority". Political Correctness isn't my strong suit. I lean more towards logic and reality.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2003, There were an estimated 463,452 people who claimed to be hispanic or latino on their 2000 census forms, adjusted for the small yearly stat samples that census uses to project the 10 year census data each year. Of those 463,452, only 26,400 were Mexican. 225,870 were Puerto Rican, and 4,376 were Cuban. 206,806 reported they were hispanic or latino, but of some other national origin (including USian).

There is no way in hell that even a slim majority of Hispanics in Massachusetts or Boston are supporters of Chivas. Most of them most likely don't even give a crap about soccer based on some family ancestry or national origin, since in Puerto Rico and Cuba...soccer isn't exactly a first tier sport.

If you're interested in facts, the US Census Bureau has a website: http://www.census.gov/

5. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    This franchise desperately needs to put bums on seats, and the more the better.
    If normal advertising and marketing doesn't work or is not in the budget, then they might as well try pandering to segments of the population. ;)

Revos fans have been in the minority at home matches before, like Benfica, Sporting and Santa Clara.
    Better to be in the minority for a few home matches and get attendance up than to have no interest and eventually no club to follow.

6. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    All I know is I will be there with my american flag, and my anti Chivas chants

as said before, I doubt hispanic people in New England are going to be cheering Chivas, most New England hispanics are not Mexican

Go Revs

p.s. My Peruvian co worker informed me that Chiva/Chivo is derogitory slang in Peru for homosexual

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All Luso teams. Not teams from Hispanic countries.

Not that Census makes a differentiation, but since "Hispanic" is self-identified, it probably makes a difference in the stats.

8. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Just examples of when the Revos were outnumber in the stands as the home team. Nothing to do with with where they are from, just that it has happened before.

I doubt that'll also be the case on HHN. But the more the merrier. If they think the combination of HHN and Chivas will bring in more fans, so be it.

9. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a big crowd will occur because 1) it is HHN, 2) Chivas is playing, 3) Revs are playing exciting soccer (so far), and 4) it will be warmer then April 9th.

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5) Based on the current pace of the 2 teams, the Revs should win this game about 5-0. ;)

11. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    I'm all for the "heritage " nights. If the Revs have a player from East Earwax, let's have a Night of the Earwaxians (Earwaxinites?). My point is that we should reach out to support the communities to come out for the Revs, not the opposition. I'm pretty sure we have had Hispanics on the Revs before, but, they didn't get their night.

Why would we want to bolster support for another team, nominal as it may be?

By the way, I'll go with the 5-0 scoreline. I watched the Classico last night. The Gals owned them. Great first half though, lot's of pride at stake and powerful atmosphere.

12. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Huh? The Revs have hispanic heritage night every year, why not make it the same night Chivas is in town. Makes sense to me. :confused:

13. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post.

14. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we have Firefighter appreciation night when Chicago is in town. Maybe we should have INS / TSA appreciation night when Chivas is in town?

But let's get serious. All I want is to see the Revs play live. Putting some butts in seats helps me do that in the future. No butts = no team.

15. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Sorry, didn't finish the sentence.
    should have said: "...they didn't get their night used to support the opposition." Hell, even then that sentence doesn't make much sense, but, that's what I meant to write.

I shouldn't type when I've had cough syrup!

(JMM: Yes, you did.)

16. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    All true. I obviously hate Chivas. Maybe it's a California thing.

17. tedski

tedski Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Tucson, Baja Arizona
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...most of the Hispanics I know are Mexican...About half of them loathe Chivas. Chivas is the Dallas Cowboys of Mexican soccer, heck, Mexicans might show up to root against them.

Crowd shots of the Chivas-Galaxy game yesterday showed the Galaxy fans are still heavilly Hispanic.

Good thing is, Chivas USA seems to, well, suck.

Oh...by the way, don't none of you post anything...anything...in any way negative on the DC United board. There's a guy on there that will give you a negative "rep." Go figure. Those guys are no fun what so ever.

Ted.

18. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you expect anything else?

19. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    My gripe is with what is written on the Rev Web Site: "To celebrate Budweiser Hispanic Heritage Night show your pride by wearing your country's colors."

Uh, we have enough trouble getting some atmosphere in the stadium and we finally have some replica shirts that people can buy.

How about constantly reminding people to wear Blue for Saturday, since this is a Revs game? It can still be Heritage Night, but let's make sure the Revs feel like it is a HOME game.

I heard on the LA/Chivas radio broadcast the announcer's asking their fans of LA to make sure you wear GOLD to the stadium for Galaxy home games, they must have said it 2 or 3 times.

Now that we finally have the uniform issues squared away, I would hope Rev's would start to spread the word about this as well.

Sounds like another question for good ole Brad and Rev Radio

20. koda

koda New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Their is a strong Brazilian base in this area. When they won the WC the streets were full of cars with their flag flying. Perhaps that is a base for additional fans.

21. Rev's Irish Rose

Rev's Irish Rose New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Somerville, MA.
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Oh...by the way, don't none of you post anything...anything...in any way negative on the DC United board. There's a guy on there that will give you a negative "rep." Go figure. Those guys are no fun what so ever.

Ted.[/QUOTE]
    I found this out for myself!!!! Those few neg rep. guys are no fun AND sore loosers to boot.

22. spatters53

spatters53 Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Portsmouth, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Future Farmers of America Night when Cowlumbus is in town?

Felon Appreciation Night for the Metros?

Bring your Wives Night for RSL?

23. tedski

tedski Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Tucson, Baja Arizona
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey..it would be a great way to bring your governor out for the game!

I love giving y'all grief for that...

I dated a relative of Mitt's back in college, actually.

Ted.

24. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, it's not any lamer than the Shrek bottle cozies.

They'll hand out a free Book of Mormon at the door.