Hispanic Heritage Night on 9/17

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by anderson, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Re: FYI - Hispanic Heritage Night on 9/17

Yea,you are correct.
    You have your Zipotes,Che Boludos,Catrachos,Zulianitos.
    There so many,I can't remember them all.
    That's why they are making it Hispanic Haritage Night.and not the 5 de Mayo night or El Grito de Indepencia Night (16 de Septiembre).
    Even though,a lot of Central American countries celebrate their independance on September,I believe.

2. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

that's the way its is in TX and cali. just like every hispanic in miami is cuban and every new yorker is puerto rican.

people are overall ignorant that we come in all shapes in sizes. but i am all for unity...like my dad likes to say:

mismo chango, diferente arbol.....same monkey, different tree

3. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Los unicos que me caen gordos son Los Tigres.

4. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

ouch...i thought we were friends.

but i hear jealousy is common from rayado fans, cause the monterrey ladies love our big penises. :D

5. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

A la madre.
    Entonces debi haber sido Tigre.
    Pero no......primero me la mocho !!!

Vamos Dynamo,queremos La Copa.
    La Hinchada esta loca,y quiero verte Campeon.
    Yo te alentare,como todos los ayos.
    Esa es mi ilucion,que seas Campeon.

6. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's the latest update:

7. 3VIL L33T

3VIL L33T New Member

Apr 16, 2006

Word
    I once went to canada and they told me I was an eskimo. I was like WTF?

8. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    The Hispanic word was invited by the Nixon Administration so they could put all latin people from south and central america in one category.

All this countries are Latin not Hispanic.

9. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I can vouch for this because I'm a Latin Lover,not a Hispanic Lover.

Ask Beto Doninador what he is.He'll tell you he's no Eskimo.

10. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX

The counter-argument goes that "Latin" is a language, not a race nor location. As an Italian you know this Rickker, after all, where was Latin spoken? It's all very confusing to me, 'cuz if Hispanic isn't right then neither is Latin. Dunno. All I know is that I love futebol, futbol, football and soccer. And calcio, of course.

Is Sylvia Garcia going to change the name of "Hispanic Heritage Night"? "Los Gatos" night or whatever silly name she prefers?

11. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. I'm a Hispanic lover. :D

12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Hispanic is who we are???...I don't like any word that has panic in it."--Comedian Paul Rodriguez

IMHO...Latino is for any and all folks that come from a nation that speaks a Latin based language...i.e. French, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian and Spanish. With that broad diversity in nations and colors...Latino is what I use as it speaks to language not specific colors of skin.

For a guy like me from SW Houston...me and my amigos looked at Latinos as either Texicans or Mexicans. Then when more El Salvadorenyos (Guanacos) kept immigrating we had to learn that inside the Latino peoples there are MASSIVE differences to be understood. The Scotland-England futbol tie of Las Americas is El Tri vs the Sallies. Try coaching a team of those footballing cultures. Yet at the same time it is always the beautiful game that teaches its followers that sking color ain't sh!t. Dude could be purple for all I care...I just want the man in Orange to crush Chivitas.

Also...here is the most recent letter I have sent to our Harris County Commissioner. The email contact I have been given is Sylvia's personal assistant Verna. The title was Invitation to Hispanic Heritage Night:

Verna,

This is Sam Whitehill. Please recall my efforts back in February and March to invite Mrs. Sylvia Garcia out to lunch to help grow the support and community connection for our newest Houston pro sports franchise.
    I would like to extend a very special invitation to Sylvia again to make the effort to get out to Robertson Stadium when Houston hosts L.A. Chivas on this Sunday night 09/17. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30pm.
    It is also Hispanic Heritage Night. There will be much to celebrate in Tejas. So if Sylvia already has plans to come out to the match than I want to be sure that she and her family come by the Hinchada Tejana tailgate festivities at the SW corner outside of Robertson Stadium. We will have food and drinks for her free of charge.
    Our Hinchada Tejana has grown substantially since April 2nd! Our numbers keep growing and our diversity has been our strength. Us supporters of The Texian Army and El Batallon have received praise from ESPN, The Houston Chronicle and even rival Supporter Clubs from cities like Washington D.C., Chicago and New England. We have many faces from many races Verna. It truly is a beautiful sight to see so much community involvement for the backing of a Houston sports team. I want to highlight the fact that when so many questions were raised about who would be showing up to Houston home matches, it is us, the loyal, passionate and very diverse members that make up Houston's Hinchada Tejana that have been at every home match and even traveling to Dallas! We do this to demonstrate our collective and shared desire to celebrate all that is unique about Houston and the rich heritage we have in the culture of Tejas. See y'all there.

Yours in the beautiful game,
    Sam Whitehill
    President Texian Army

Dios y Tejas

13. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Hear, hear brother!

Or is it "here, here"?

14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's "hear, hear".

Originally, "Hear him! Hear him!".

15. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX

Thnx, that makes sense.

16. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More info:

17. KotWF

KotWF Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep looking for another name on this list... but I can't find it anywhere? Where is it... should be between Fraga and Gutierrez...

18. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess she's not so much the community leader.

19. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    For those of you wondering about the words Latino/Hispanic
    You are Hispanic if you are Republican.
    You are Latino if you are Democrat.

Either way both words are misrepresentations since Latino/Hispanic is not a race, Is not even a single culture. You can say is heritage. But whose? Mexicans, PRicans, Cubans, Dominicans. For "got" sake even Spaniards do not consider themselves Hispanics. Is like people saying there are Jewish like Jewish was a race. Anyway. I am American and that is all tat matters. Like Colbert would say: "I do not see color, just tax brackets" :eek:

20. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    I think you might find it between Batch and Butch.

21. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Is this true? I did not know that.

Sooooo...Sunday night is a Republican rally, after all it is Hispanic Heritage, not Latino Heritage...:D

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Some sources say Hispanic is more widely used in Texas, Florida, and the Midwest while Latino is much preferred in California and the Northeast.

Latino is probably more accurate as it is an abbreviation of latinoamericano while Hispanic refers to Spain and the areas influenced by Spain.

From a survey done by the National Council of La Raza:

A majority (59.%) express no preference for either of the terms “Latino” or “Hispanic”; of those who express a preference, 12% prefer Latino, 26% prefer Hispanic.

23. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I agree with you (esp. the last line). I hate all this crap sooooo much (hispanic vs. latino).

You know what I'm....I'm just *rey* period. What ever you want to call yourself, just make sure you represent us in a correct way. Because then every hispanic/latino has to pay for your dumb s**t.

I continue to be amazed by americans ignorance that mexican is not a different race of people (it's an ethnicity). So therefore you will have different types of mexicans: white mexicans, mestizos (mexicans that were "shaken not stirred" with native americans), pure indians, german mexicans, arab mexicans, irish mexicans, etc.etc.etc.

Like Rancid sings:
    "I figured out the problem yea the problem is you
    you didn't see us coming now there's nothing you can do
    he's a different color but we're the same kid
    I will treat him like my brother he will treat me like his"

In the end who the fk cares we're all ORANGE!!!!!!

24. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, I'm a Germexican myself. German in basically name only, by the time it got to my generation on my dad's side was your basic trailer trash. :D Just second generation on my mom's side - her Dad was from Zacatecas.

wanted to bump this thread to say Thanks!! to Bandido for the stunning black sombrero I got to wear tonight. Pics up soon of it. Now if I can just figure a way to get it to fit on my head...

Respectfully submitted,
    The Evil Bandido!

25. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I thought Bandido had the sombrero thing trademarked:) I am Russian Meixcan-and I only know of one other one, my brother.