Hired a motorhome - now what do I do...?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by renwaldo, May 12, 2010.

1. renwaldo

renwaldo New Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Hey all,

I'm heading over on the 13th June for 2 1/2 weeks with 3 friends. We've hired a motorhome that we'll collect from Jburg airport on the morning of the 14th, and we're then heading to match 9 at 13:30 but then we have NO idea what we're going to do other than travel about for our other 7 matches (3 in Durban, 4 in Jburg and 1 in Rustenberg)

Basically, we're wondering where can we park up for games and where should we look to park up/camp for the night? Is there going to be loads of campsites set up etc? Any local knowledge would be much appreciated.

2. lutzno

lutzno New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    the motorhome idea. f-ing genius. never thought of it.

3. renwaldo

renwaldo New Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    hey lutzno, thanks :)

we were really lucky to get it to be honest - this was back in September 09, we called about 20 companies and everyone said they had no availability and then luckily we got a cancellation and just jumped on it. it's a 5 berth mercedes one - costing around £3000 for 15 days, not terrible split between 4 of us.

however, we have no idea what to do with it during matches etc, or where we should park up at night (will there we campsites etc?) also, we'll be sleeping in it at night so we need to put it somewhere safe but as none of us have been to SA before, we have no idea what the local culture is like. We're all seasoned travellers, and I don't believe the crap i read in the newspapers over here about crime so I'm not too worried but it would be good to have some knowledge before we arrive...

also, do we need to get international drivers licences?

4. lutzno

lutzno New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i have no idea if its allowed, but shopping centre parking lots? there are quite a lot of caravans and caravan parks in SA, but i honestly have no idea about them, or where they sleep. just search some stuff on google.

5. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Wow - tricky one this. Firstly, get an international drivers licence in case you get stopped by the cops/in an accident. As for parking anywhere, I am not sure if shopping centres allow it - if they do then you will have to go to the huge ones which are boomed off but I do not think you are allowed to.

There are many caravan parks around SA which will be the best place to stop - re safety/ablution/ power. In Pretoria the fountains caravan park is the closest to Loftus. Try http://www.holidayresorts.co.za/

If you let me know your games that you are going to I can set up an itenerary and guide you as to where you must drive and camp.

6. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    This caravan park may also be ideally suited:

http://www.tshwane.gov.za/resorts.cfm#joosbecker (prices listed)

Speaking of which...a while back we recommended camping as a possibility for acommodation....You can literally fly to SA, go directly to a camping store, buy a one man/two man tent and travel to a campsight. Space for tents are usually more available. In expensive coastal areas, this may also be a good idea. (this is a good backup plan for desperate folk)

7. renwaldo

renwaldo New Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for all the feedback so far - and Gronum, you are a lifesaver! FIFA should be paying you :)

Here's our itinery:

13th June - Land at Jburg International at 9pm, head to guesthouse already booked for 1 night
    14th - pick up motorhome at airport at 10am then head to holland - denmark at Soccer city for 1.30pm kickoff
    15th - not sure, maybe head to durban for game next day
    16th - Spain - Switzerland in Durban at 4pm
    17th - JBurg - Arg vs South Korea 8.30pm
    18th
    19th - Rustenberg - ghana vs australia 1.30pm
    20th - Jberg - Brazil vs Ivory Coast 8.30pm
    21st
    22nd - Durban - Nigeria vs South Korea 8.30pm
    23rd - JBerg - Ghana vs Germany 8.30pm(we might sell these tickets to avoid a night drive)
    24th
    25th - Durban - Portugal vs Brazil 4pm
    26th
    27th
    28th - Fly out of Jberg back to Heathrow at 8pm

If you have any ideas, it'd be great to see them :)

Alex

8. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

9. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  10. Jokers13

Jokers13 New Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Huntington Beach CA
    We used a motorhome in Germany and had a great time. Good luck and please let us know how it works out. I am jealous.

11. James82

James82 New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is there any reason why the motorhome can't be parked in the park and ride? Seems a bit pointless getting all those taxis and trains if you can just park up and get a free bus to the games.

12. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    True - I am sure it would be fine - I suppose huge buses and MPVs will be parked there so a motor home is no different. I was just worried about day 1 - driving to a crowded place on the wrong side of the road but I suppose you have to start SOMETIME!

13. James82

James82 New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Personally I would think finding a park and ride would be a lot easier than having to negotiate trains and taxis in a foreign country. We also don't know that the OP is driving on the 'wrong' side of the road, judging by the team he supports I would imagine he is actually going to be driving on the correct side of the road. :)

14. Pule

Pule New Member

Aug 3, 2006

15. Canbaroo

Canbaroo New Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Canberra
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    G'day Motor Campers,
    I asked this question over on 'Get your questions Answered' and got sent here......

Motorhome/Campervan Parking?

Anyone on the ground over there know if there is any provision for Van parks in close to the Fan Zones and Stadiums? These were reasonably well disorganized in Germany but we got by and managed to find them after looping around the city (eg; Munich Olympic Stadium 600-800 vans, also Stuttgart). I know it's not Europe but every Motorhome hire company in SA is booked out....... where are we all going to park? The traditional 'Caravan Park' might be OK but unlikely to be central to the action. I'm not too keen doing a 20k hike to the outskirts of town at midnight to get back to my van.

What about shopping mall carparks or trying a few random suburban backyards.... are the locals going to be that friendly? Our stops (we are Oz) are Durban, Jo'burg, Rustenberg, Nelspruit..... and then on to the final after topping our group! GO the Socceroos!! (Green & Gold)

So far no serious answers..... and it seems the answer is NONE!

Sooooooo all Motorhomers/Campervaners are invited to join us in the central town/suburban precinct carparks..... and make it happen!

JO'BURG
    Looking at the Fan Fest site at InnesFree Park, Sandton I can see (Google Maps) plenty of car parks a couple of blocks away @ Sandton (shopping malls, hotels) bring a magnet to void the bar code if you get a car park entry tix.... then plead insanity to get out. (Always works... try and smile and speak a different language)

DURBAN
    Beach front looks good. Fan Fest @ end of West Street. nice and central to food, beer and an easy walk to the stadium. The Park & Ride at Central Park (Centrum Site?) could be a good long term park/camp site..... close to Greyville Racecourse and Kingsmead Cricket Ground, handy for some cross cultural entertainment. Sun Coast Hotel & Towers also holds promise (work out who checks out early and pop in to their room for a shower and cleanup before the maids do the room). It's very nicely placed on the beach mid point between the Stadium and the Fan Fest site. Remember, smile and look important.... 'just back from a 5k beach run'

RUSTENBERG & NELSPRUIT
    These are really just large country towns and will, in my opinion, be overwhelmed by 40,000 fired up punters turning up in their town and drinking them dry. My guess is that random central town carparks will be safe and free and handy to any 'ride' shuttle services to the Stadiums. In both cases the Stadiums are a fair hike 5-6k out of town. Frankly I think i'll walk..... I need the exercise!

16. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Lots of caravan enthusiasts in SA but not huge camper home following - the reason why all of them are rented out is probably because there are so few. Cannot say what the authories will do re parking your camper home in the street but I am sure if you look for a cul-de-sac (road with no throughfare) and approach one of the homeowners they will let you park there (and probably invite you in for a braai!)

I am sure they have not made provision for a camper home village at any of the stadia or parking areas. Best is to form a group and park together - convince the authorities that Fifa organized it for you!

17. Canbaroo

Canbaroo New Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Canberra
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thanks Gronum, I like your style..... say G'day when you see the Kangaroos.

I think we'll go for the Laager and take a leaf out of the early settlers book!

Voortrekker laager, the Battle at Blood River
    A laager, lager, leaguer or laer (Afrikaans, from Dutch leger (camp); Afrikaans pronunciation: [ˈlaːɡər] or [ˈliɡər]). The word is South African in origin, and originally referred to a formation used by travelers whereby they would draw wagons into a circle to protect them from raiders or nocturnal animals.

18. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup - form a laager and down a few lagers!:D

I really think it is a good idea to stick together - will look official. If you get evicted then you can all convoy to the closest camping site.

19. ausmatt

ausmatt New Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Changchun Yatai
    F-ing love it Canbaroo. We did the same in Germany and will be motorhoming it in SA as well. We'll see you at the car parks where we can "circle the wagons" (Wild wild west style) for protection.

Looking forward to partying with the other street sleepers like us!

20. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Huge Dutch motorhome camp at the Fountains Caravan Park in Pretoria (see I told you so!)