Hillary For President--Part V

Discussion in 'Elections' started by bigredfutbol, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why are you supporting Clinton?

2. Soccer Bob

Soccer Bob Member

Aug 19, 2004
    I'd like to know how things are going to change when she uses the same underhanded tactics in a debate that every other old pol has used for years. The Clinton administration of the 90's got more Republican work done than the Republicans could have hoped for. How does Hillary plan to be different? I'd like to hear something other than the generalizations. I think the pressure is on her to explain HOW this will be different from 1993-2000.

Besides, this just in:

"West Ham may soon be able to boast having one of the most powerful fans in the world as has emerged that US Presidential candidate Barack Obama has been a follower of the Hammers ever since a visit to London five years ago." (The Sun)

How will Hillary top that! Will she fall into the trap of talking about the USWNT? Or will she try to NOT alienate the rest of the world!

3. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She'll be ready to choose a club to support on day one.

4. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh great just what we need, Flannigan in the Politics forum.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the same piece of tabloid trash, she supports ManU.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    As if you needed another reason to hate her! :D

7. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Doesn't anyone in the Clinton camp realize that if her campaign keeps up this polarization crap, she's gonna turn off a huge number of African-American Democrats that she'll need in November? They just simply won't show up to vote--why should they, for someone who abandoned South Carolina without so much as a concession speech and had her husband write off the loss to too many black people?

This "scorched earth" policy will come at a steep price.

She won't have a prayer in Pennsylvania without the black vote in Philly, won't have a prayer in Michigan (Romney's father's state) without a strong black turnout in Detroit.

And how many pickup-truck driving union guys are gonna go out of their way to vote for Hillary?

I know the Clinton's are triangulating, 50+1 type operators, but it would take an incredible number of Republican women defecting to Hillary for her to pick up all the voters she's alienating right now. And believe me, no one in the African-American community is going to forget this.

8. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    And if you can't believe a British tabloid, who can you believe?

9. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm just having fun with the irrationality, shallowness, and hyper-sensitivity of Obama supporters.

I say this as someone who likes Obama.

The whole thing is just hilarious. I mean, sure, the Clintons can be full of it, but the reactions they provoke are just priceless. Man do I want to see this sequel.

Meanwhile, we have extraordinary problems that need to be solved next year, which is why we need to rally behind Team Clinton.

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Your confidence that a President Romney or a President McCain would work effectively to solve our problems is really quite astonishing!

;)

11. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    (1) Universal Health Care
    (2) (more) tax fairness
    (3) Balance Budget
    (4) Bill Clinton winning the Nobel Peace Prize (and deserving it)

12. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mean to pick on a guys age, but we've all seen what the presidency does to our presidents, most of 'em look like hell after 4 years, and even worse after 8, can anyone imagine what McCain would look like in 4 years if he was president? They're going to have to build an exoskeleton for him if he were to get a 2nd term.

13. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still waiting for an example of a time that Clinton put principle above politics.

14. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

Little things like the fierce battle to provide health care to every American, which was very politically costly. I guess you've forgotten about the tax increases that saved our economy, but also at the cost of tremendous political capital (pretty much all of it). Raising taxes is almost always a political loser.

On the big things, we can count on the Clintons to give the proverbial 110%. If they wink and nod on some of the trivial stuff, so much the better if it drives the opposition through the roof. :D

15. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    facts are a bitch, aren't they...

16. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Her original health care plan failed
    2) What tax increases has she voted for?
    3) You understand that she and Bill are different people, right?

I don't think that lying and race-baiting is trivial. YMMV.

17. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    Total BS! Sure, raising tax was unpopular but Bush the elder already did it despite pledging otherwise. Bill Clinton never had that baggage. The problem is the Clintons never showed any guts, any scruples. I was one of those looked for Hilary led us to national healthcare in early 90’s. However, when the situations got tough, she dropped it like a hot potato and never revisited it again for the rest of his two terms. Obviously it's not really a “big” thing for them by your reckoning, so why keep talking about it now?

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Dear lord... :eek:

19. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    (1) Which emphasizes just how much she put principle over politics!
    (2/3) I'm voting Team Clinton!

20. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    People forget just how tough that fight was and how costly.

Does the name Newt Gingrich mean anything to you? What would have been the point of pushing for universal health care after 1994?

But don't worry, everything will turn out fine in Clinton: The Sequel ****

21. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Never happen. Her health care plan is the medical equivalent of NCLB and the country just won't go for it.

22. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Then we'll be a Third World country and one of our grand kids will have the user name "USA Monitor" trying to prove that things are THAT bad in America.

23. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Okay, I think you have a legitimate point with the Obama supporters getting all doey eyed but I think you too have some drama in you.

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Perhaps, yet I sincerely believe that we are in grave danger, long-term (and short-term for millions unlucky enough to get sick).

I'm concerned about public policy, not "change" or "camelot 2008" etc. I wish more people realized just how much drama was involved in these "dull" issues.

p.s. I obviously meant to say "trying to prove that things are not THAT bad in America"

25. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    :D
    Priceless.