Hey, The Post Printed My Letter!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Menno-soccer-man, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Menno-soccer-man

Menno-soccer-man New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    never thought they would print it, but there it was! Since I wrote it, I don't feel the need to post the link or give credit to the Post. Please note, I did NOT pick the title.

Saturday, November 27, 2004; Page A29

Go Pick On the Redskins

I am amazed that Tony Kornheiser sees the need to rip the only successful pro team in Washington [Sports, Nov. 18]. He writes, "D.C. United drew a total of 500 people to RFK Tuesday night for a free celebration of their title." What he failed to point out was that this free event was held on a workday evening during the middle of rush hour with less than two days of preparation.

Kornheiser also complained about the way the team used Freddy Adu. But, according to USA Today, Adu's presence helped increase D.C. United's road attendance by 54 percent and increased the home draw by 11 percent. Adu was the third-highest-scoring player on the team and played in all the regular season games, starting nearly half of them.

Instead of vilifying D.C. United and soccer in general, Kornheiser should consider dedicating his column space to dumping on Washington's other pro teams -- which are indeed pathetic.

2. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done if not futile.

3. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i wrote a similar (though a bit nastier) note. yours was better...

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm pretty sure the Post won't print a letter where you tell Kornhole to lick your nuts. :D

5. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    well i was literary about it...
    :cool:

6. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    here is what i wrote

"Weak Signals From Quaterbacks"by Tony Kornheiser(Thursday, November 18, 2004; Page D01) must be a signal that Kornheiser is over committed with all his TV duties so he's warming over past comments and using DC United's Championship to prop up what is clearly a column well past his prime.

Rather than praising United for being the only team in the area to win its championship, he drags up a point about playing Freddie Adu that is as out of date as Kornheiser is. It wasn't funny, it wasn't insightful, it was more like a small man who just can't stand to see success from others. I know far more MLS and DC United fans than Kornheiser and not once have I ever heard anyone complain that Fred Adu didn't play every minute of every game.

What is even worse, is that Kornhesier's poorly reasoned arguments and lack of factual information detract from the fact that the Post has the finest soccer coverage in the United States. Mike Wise, Bill Gildea and especially Steve Goff are some of the finest soccer and sports writers in the country. Unlike Kornhesier they work hard to understand a sport that is the largest and most nuanced in the world and do a great job making it accessible even to non-fans such as Kornhesier.

Tony, if you don't respect us "Pitch Heads", fine but don't tarnish the incredible work done by Goff and others and dimiss the tens of thousands of fans who follow United in this area. You know what, you said Gibbs and other oder coaches are "...looking lost, if not old". That's exactly what I think when I read your tired screeds about soccer and DC United.

7. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    p.s. Nice comb over Tony... Shame the "United bandwagon" missed you when crossing the street :D

8. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United

You know, I never wrote in about that column by Tony, but using his methods you could prove his own argument is ridiculous. Freddy played in every DCU match except for the one where he was suspended. He probably played in more MLS games than 90% of the league. Maybe fewer minutes... :D

9. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    He wasn't suspended. He missed the playoff game in Jersey because Peter preferred to make defensive substitutions at the point in the latter stages of that game.

10. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strange, they didn't print my letter calling Kornhole a sperm-burping gutter slut. :D

11. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was because he was dumped on his head the previous game...

12. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    He made the trip, and it's unlikely that Peter would've thrown away a spot on the travelling squad if he was too shaken up from the previous game.

13. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Amen.

14. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Tony Kornhole isnt worth the powder it would take to blow his combover to the other side....just another ego with a mic..... wonder what would happen if all of a sudden we all started cutting his column out of the post and sending it back to the paper..with the word "unacceptable" written over it in red sharpie ink....? ? ? :D

15. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Ahhhh...another Kornheiser thread... :rolleyes:

16. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Can there be too many?

That man can lick my nvts.
    N-V-T-S, nvts!