Hey ref, don't you know ...

Discussion in 'Referee' started by nsa, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "Gary V": I take it the goalkeeper was the last defender, according to your post, therefore the 1 on 1 attacker was close to the goal. Shouldn't it have been a straight red for "denying a goalscoring opportunity"? :confused:

2. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Too far out - several yards outside the PA. You could probably argue that this was USB two ways - both the reckless foul and stopping an attack - but you can't convert two simultaneous cautions into a send-off. You pick the more severe.

3. ref47

ref47 Member

Aug 13, 2004
    n. va
    i apply advantage, make the loud announcement, advantage does not materialize. blow whistle and call play back and announce - "advantage did not materialize." coach says, "you can't give them the foul after you gave them advantage."

4. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "Gary V": I don't want to sound too overcritical, particularly as I wasn't there, but several yards out still only makes it 25 yards from the goal line, and with the GK as the last defender being by-passed, then an open goal beckons which must make it a goal scoring opportunity. I am not generally an adovcate of sending off 11 year olds, and maybe in the context of the game (if played fairly) it might have been the right decision, but "rules are rules" and I am sure that one coach might have been supportive of my suggestions!! The main purpose of refereeing is applying the laws correctly and consistently.

5. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Let's just say that during the game it never even entered my mind for a send-off, but on seeing the foul I knew immediately it was a caution. That's how confident I was in my decision then, and only now discussing it online has the issue of DOGSO come up. I still believe that the location (which was probably be 25-30 yards away from the goal, because play was coming down the side of the field) was not near enough in a U11 game to be considered an OGSO.

6. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Don't you know in a girls JV-B game you don't have to call nit-picky things like offside. That girl is in tears."

This after a first half where the forward got called for offside more times than Taylor Twellman. ;)

We're not talking marginal offside. We're talking 10-15 yards. Only one actually resulted in a goal being called back. The shooting was equivalent to the understanding of offside. ;)

7. njref

njref Member

Mar 29, 2003
    New Jersey
    you meanie!

8. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI

Who knew you could be so heartless?!? I'm not sure I could have controlled my laughter at that point.

9. vabeacher

vabeacher Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The only time I ever switched AR's, was when I had one very experienced AR and a volunteer club AR. The game was extremely one sided and I asked my experienced AR to switch sides so he could handle the bulk of the attacking action. It worked out well as I had a different volunteer for the 2nd half, who was even less experiences as the guy in the 1st half. I didn't think of going to a reverse diagonal for the 2nd half which would have accomplished the same thing; good idea, whoever brought that up.

10. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    reffed a U13B game this weekend that was VERY lopsided. At one point a ball was shot and hit a player in the hand around mid-field, was a PERFECTLY CLEAR case of being not intentional, it hit the kids hand before he had a chance to even twitch. The kid who's hand it hit and his teamates all stopped play, looked at me cause I didn't whistle and he said "ref it hit my hand, handball". I smiled and said "it wasn't intentional, play on" and they all went about the game.

:)

11. EHCCO

EHCCO New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    I have been reading for awhile and really enjoy this forum.
    Certainly have learned lots from the posts.

Here goes my first post.

In a high school game I did last night (alone) I awarded a PK for holding in the area. Coach yells after the PK was made "Hey ref you can't award a P.K. he wasn't even facing the goal."

Later in the same game after calling handling (one of those traps where players use more arm than chest to trap the ball and it rolls all the way down players arm)

Player: "Are you kidding?" (Sarcastic tone)

Me: "No. Did it look like I was kidding?" (In a nice soft tone)

Player: "Well you should have been" (In a nasty tone)

Yellow card for a short rest was issued.

12. ref47

ref47 Member

Aug 13, 2004
    n. va
    and another. adult coed match. player in offside position. his team is deep in its own side of field. teammate makes long pass to a female player just over midfield on the attacking 1/2. she misses the ball and it rolls past her. offside positioned player runs back past a defender and gathers ball. pop flag to penalize the offside. player looks at me and says, "i wasn't offside." i tell him he came back from offside position for the ball. he says, "but the pass wasn't intended for me."

13. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never ask a player a rhetorical question - you won't like the answer.

14. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great advice. Certainly learned this the hard way :)

Although I have great sympathy for referees (seeing as how I've been one for way too long now) I heard something last night that simply left me speechless:

Late in a game that would have been scoreless except for two completely bogus PK's called by the same linesman who had a bad case of "Happy Flag", the captain of the team that was down 2 - 0, trotted past the Center, who was simply letting this linesman screw up what was otherwise a very good game, and said (completely inappropriately) "You guys are really f***ing us over"

To which the ref replied: "Yeah, I know it"

Now would someone please tell me what this guy could POSSIBLY have had in mind? Was he simply acknowledging the obvious in and effort to be honest? Was he an idiot? I was completely appalled.

The referee work was so bad in this game that an assistant coach, who is also a minister and a very devout guy, got sent off for cursing. I just wish I had a tape of this abortion.

15. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A ref should have the power to fire on the spot people like this.

16. EHCCO

EHCCO New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Yea, I know. The kids reaction/objection/dissent to such an obvious foul made me want to say something worse than I did to him. I could not just let his reaction go uncontested because it was said for many players in the area to hear.
    What are some of your catch phrases that you say to players when they react negatively to obvious fouls?

17. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the heat of the moment, nothing. If he wants to discuss it at the next stoppage or the end of the game, I'm open to it, but I don't usually let the player's first reaction get to me unless it's over the top and - in itself - requires a booking for dissent.

Saying anything that might be construed by the player as flippant or uncaring will always provoke a negative response, especially at the HS age. Some might say that you goaded the player into a yellow card.

18. Wreave

Wreave Member

May 4, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    BU10 a few weeks ago, ball bouncing around near the top of the PA. I thought I saw an attacker's arm out away from his body and the ball hit his hand, but there were about sixty bodies on the ball and I couldn't quite see it. Besides, the defense got possession and booted the ball upfield. As I'm turning upfield to follow the ball, the attacker in question comes running up to me, holding out his hand like it's diseased: "Ref, I handed!"

Me: "Not if I didn't blow the whistle, you didn't." :D

19. Wreave

Wreave Member

May 4, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    And this gem from a coach, just this week: "What do you mean, I can't smoke on the sidelines?"

20. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, how cute!!

21. pensmom4

pensmom4 New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    OK, reffing a u16 co-ed game today. White player (boy) is standing waiting for a high ball to come down to head it. Yellow player (girl) jumps into him, from behind, and he stumbles but doesn't fall down, and she gets control of the ball. I whistle and say you can't jump into him like that.
    She looks at him and says, but did I hurt you? He says no. She says, then how come it's a foul?

Oh, this game was a blast. White team starts the game short on players and must play one player down with no subs on the bench. Yellow player matches his number on the field, but has three on his bench. About 5 minutes into the game, I suddenly see a new player for white. No substitutions had been requested...what the heck? Next stop in play, I walk to White coach, and say, sir, you put a player on the field without my permission. You can't do that. I'm giving you a warning. (I know, player should have had the warning, but really, the coach should have known better.) White coach is spitting mad at me over this, and says.....But he just got here!

22. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use a variation of that line on the adult amateur players when they are whining for calls at every touch.

"Guys. Let's keep this simple. If you hear my whistle then it's a foul. If you don't hear my whistle, it is not a foul and you should keep playing." ;)

23. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    B12 match where my AR made a great offside call. He kept the flag down until the shot deflected off the 'keeper and came to the offside player who put the ball in the net as the flag came up.

"Ref, you know you can overrule him!"

Yes, I certainly would have overruled him if he had called it a goal. :)

24. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Honestly, sometimes I wonder how some people actually figured out how to reproduce:

I was an AR on the parents side: "Hand ball!!" (there wasn't one) "Oh he can only call offsideS"

Also, anyone ever notice how smiling and laughing = that we dont care about doing our job well? :)

25. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D1 Mens Amateur game yesterday.

I call a PK for handling in the area. The defender had raised his hand to the ball, so it was an obvious call. Upon pointing to the spot, his team captain comes running over to me and tells me that if it was unintentional, it's an IFK.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to laugh becasue the player I had made the call against proceeded to tell me - loud enough for every player to hear it - that I was a "horrible f__king referee", so off he went...

By the way, I've had the good fortune of doing a few games with MassRef this fall, as I did yesterday. He's an up-and-comer, and it's been a pleasure working with him.