HEY LADDS!!!! What Makes Ireland great???

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by ICEHAWK, Oct 27, 2003.

1. ICEHAWK

ICEHAWK New Member

May 15, 2003
    Kingsport TN.
    I have played against many diferent countries, but unfortinatly I never got to play with or against
    the Irish.... what are you know for traditionally???
    I know you have solid defense and are very scrappy....

2. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    This is one of the weirdest posts I'v encountered in my 6 or so months here... don't feed it

3. ICEHAWK

ICEHAWK New Member

May 15, 2003
    Kingsport TN.
    What skills are you famous for???

I would like to know What are your skills???
    The Ireland rainbow Did you guys invent that move??? ONe of my Favorite Washington Dipolmats from the 1970"s was Tommy O'hera#3
    I loved him he was a great defender... He became
    twice the player he was when we got Yahan Cruff...
    The man was pure magic with the ball....

4. Irish_Hatter

Irish_Hatter New Member

Sep 7, 2002
    "This is one of the weirdest posts I'v encountered in my 6 or so months here... don't feed it"

You can say that again, I guess ICEHAWK has sustained some sort of knock to the head...

get well soon Icehawk

5. ICEHAWK

ICEHAWK New Member

May 15, 2003
    Kingsport TN.
    What is wier??? Answer the question???

Guys Answer the question?????
    What is wierd??? Is thier no answer because
    the reason I don't know what Ireland is famous for

There is no skill???? I don't think that is the reason; so WHAT IS IT????
    enquiring minds want to know!!!

6. Di7seconds

Di7seconds New Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Land of the Free!!!!
    See the thing is ICEHAWK, if you were told why Ireland was so great then it wouldn't be a secret anymore. This is why no one will answer your question. What next, are you going to ask me where my pot-of-gold is?

7. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Lay off guys. This could be a poor attempt at a troll, but I'm going to err on the side of naivete and take it as a genuine question.

Icehawk, if by "what are we known for" you're asking what the image of our football teams are (eg the Brazilians are associated with samba soccer), then I think you've more or less answered your own question. As far as I'm aware, most other nationalities perceive us as solid and unspectacular, but with an exceptional work ethic and team spirit - the usual clichés. See some of the "Most Boring Team In the World" threads for examples. We do have flair and creative players, but overall the idea is that we are more than the sum of our parts.

If I've taken your question wrong, then feel free to rephrase.

8. ICEHAWK

ICEHAWK New Member

May 15, 2003
    Kingsport TN.
    Leto Thanks!!!!

I'm not trying to be a wise a$$... i wanted to know what YOu the Irish think was your greatest skill..

i think you guys have a kick butt Defense not boring.... Thanks man.

9. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Back in the pre-Charlton days, we had some great players but due to poor organization, lack of leadership and no real defined plaing style we never got anywhere.
    Charlton came along and installed his "put 'em under pressure" philosophy. Basically, the players were not allowed to do any fancy stuff and we hassled and harried the opposition all over the field. Attack generally consisted of hoof the ball up to the big player such as Stapleton/Cascarino/Quinn and he would try to hold up the ball for the likes of Houghton to come and help. Every team hated to play against us because we were so difficult to play against.
    Then McCarthy came along and did away with Charlton's style. He installed more creative building from midfield but it took him quite some time to get it right and get the players right as a lot of players from the Charlton era who were better were on the downside of of their careers.