Hey Brian, Can you explain Serie A crests?

Discussion in 'Italy' started by GoHawks4, Jul 29, 2002.

1. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you explain the meaning of the main crests of the league. I have noticed that Juventus and Milan have half of thier's the same.

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, has Brian become the resident professor??

Each team has a different crest. Why don't you do a little research by visiting the teams website and checking it out for yourself?

A lot of the crests have some significance to their local, while others are done simply because of lack of imagination.

3. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes he has. I have not found a site that explains a crest for the Italian league, only the EPL.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mentioned that you were looking for an explanation of the "main crests" of the league and you mentioned Milan and Juve.

So which would you like? The crests of the various clubs or the Serie A emblem that they use.

If it's the Serie A emblem, there is no significance for it. It's simply a soccer ball with the Italian colors being swiped across it. It was done for marketing, there's no historical significance to it.

5. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    :D Professor Cappellieri. I like the sound of that...

I think Dante's right GoHawks. Most official sites and maybe some fan sites would have that information. Look for "History" of the club and that should tell you why the crest was made and how it changed over the years (if it did).

6. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
  7. Football Ronin

May 13, 2002
    Oregon, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about anything else, but the two stars above Juventus crest are supposedly for winning more than 20 Scudettos. Each star represents 10 Scudettos. Juventus is the only team that can place two stars.

8. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    Many of the teams' colors correspond to the crests and colors of their city's seal. In some cases you might have to dig pretty deep into history if you want to find the origins of those city seals.

9. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
    Very INTEResting....

There is very little on the Inter website (in English at least) which describe the crest. The only place I've ever seen the old historical crests are on the collection of Zippo lighters available at the store:

https://store.inter.it/e-shop/en/dettaglio.asp?cat=GADGE

The current crest (HERE), well there is not much to say. There is the INTERlocking FCIM, which is Football Club Internaxionale Milan. There is the traditional colors of gold, black and blue which have been the colors ever since they broke off from AC Milan in 1908. And then there is the golden star representing more than ten scudettos (13 to be exact).

In earlier Inter crests you would often find a snake, usually green. For some reason the snake (or sometimes a dragon) has always represented Inter. I do not know why. You'll also find the English St. George's cross in both the Inter and Milan crests. This is a throwback to the original English ex-pats that brought football to Italy and started many clubs, including AC Milan (from which sprang Inter).

I seem to remember a rather INTEResting story behind the Sampdoria crest, but I don't remember it. Something to do with a sailor?

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, each star represents 10 scudettos.

Only three teams have stars over their shields, Juve (who have 2 for the 26 they've won), Inter (who has one) and Milan (who has one).

In about 5 years Juve will have 3 stars :D

11. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    From Dante,
    In about 5 years Juve will have 3 stars

Serie A
    MOGGI SHRUGS OFF RIVALDO COUP

"One thing doesn't change: we remain the strongest,” he averred. “(We) want to win the Scudetto, Champions’ League and Coppa Italia.”

12. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    most of the times the crest sports the city's traditional colors and symbol (usually from the renaissance age)
    that's also the case for Udinese;conversely Atalanta is a demi-goddess of the greek mythology,for instance: hence the girl on the crest

13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    To add to that, AC Milan was founded as Milan Cricket and Football Club. It carried an English name. Genoa was also founded as the Genoa Cricket and Athletic Club. It was at one point a club, exclusively for English expats. Juventus' black and white stripes came from Notts County.

14. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Milan's colors were chosen by a founding member; "red for the devil and black to envoke fear".

C14