He's So Wondo! The continuing chronicle of Chris Wondolowski's career

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Sep 22, 2011.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wishing Chris Wondolowski 'Wondo' a Happy 37th BD!

GO WONDO!

[​IMG]

2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's only 27 in our years.;)

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  3. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm still not really convinced that the beep test means a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. It's a very specific activity that doesn't necessarily translate into game time activities. I used to outrun pretty much every other player on teams I played with, yet players I regularly outran were far better players than I was. Would they have been better if they could have run as well as I could? Perhaps, but I would have traded their technical skills for my running abilities every day of the week.

In other words, I would not make any definitive statements (especially criticisms) from the results of a beep test done once a year in pre-season.

Edit: Forgot to include that Wondolowski has been an elite MLS player his entire career. It shouldn't be that surprising that he's able to do a thing or two better than other players. Stamina appears to be a key component to this and I'm not sure that it diminishes all that quickly with age, either.

What would you say if the team did a test solely designed to measure explosive speed? How well do you think Wondolowski would rate among all the players? Would your view of him be any different if he came in dead last?

DotMPP repped this.
  4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well let me answer that this way...

At the last SV foundation dinner where Shea was at our table (2012?), I asked Shea who was faster, he or Marvin Chavez. They had the most explosive speed at that time.

Now it appears that Shea is probably still one of the most explosive guys on today’s roster. So what does that say about our team?

So if either Shea or Wondo came in as dead last for beep test or explosive test, I would cheer. Because it would mean we are bringing in faster guys or guys who can run for hours. If instead they come in above average within the roster, then to me that’s a bad sign about the rest of the roster.

I don’t understand why this opinion is so hard to communicate. If you are 32 and you show up to your rec team and everyone is being outrun by a 50 year old, you might marvel at that 50 year old specimen, but wouldn’t the second thing in your mind be, “we must suck...” ???

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't understand why a person older than me is engaging in ageism. :)

6. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3181 Earthshaker, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    A Beep test measures a players maximum endurance, and Wondo has always had tremendous endurance, which is not surprising considering his long distance background. We have no idea who our fastest player is, maybe Fierro, or Espinoza, or perhaps Salinas. Jamie Vardy, at 33, is the leading scorer in the EPL, and perhaps his greatest asset is his speed. He is still running past and away from much younger players.
    And here is an interesting tidbit, they have a way of measuring how fast a player can run in a sprint during a game, and the highest recorded sprint in the EPL this year was not a forward, not a winger, not a midfielder, and not an outside back. It was Leicester's Turkish centerback, Caglar Soyuncu, who has Leicester fans totally not missing Harry Maguire. And second fastest was 32 year old forward Shane Long.
    The fact that Wondo out beeps everyone does not bother me, nor does the fact that Salinas is still one of the speediest players on the team.

And remember, Wondo's Indian name, "Bau Daigh", means "warrior coming over the hill", not "warrior that's over the hill".;)

mjlee22 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  7. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You are equating stamina to skill. That's not what the test is for. It is to get a "baseline" on the players condition entering camp.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  8. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think we all get what you're saying. I just think you're putting way more importance on the test than it deserves.

Earthshaker repped this.
  9. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That article says Wondo finished 4th in the beep test, not first.
    "After leading the Earthquakes in scoring last season and nearly guiding his team to the playoffs, Wondolowski knows that his retirement season can still be one of his best. He arrived to preseason in excellent shape, finishing fourth in the infamous beep test and beating guys half his age, and his teammates have noticed. It’s not simply about winning one for the retiring Wondo — rather it’s feeding off their captain’s energy and enthusiasm."

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When I think about Wondo, I find some real parallels with the Green Bay Packers (stay with me, Niner fans...)

For 12 years, the Packers have essentially wasted the career of one of the greatest QBs of all time, just as the Quakes have wasted the career of perhaps the greatest US goal-scorer of all time. Yes, Mr. Rodgers has won one Super Bowl during his career, but the insane, terrible, and unfathomable management of the Packers during his tenure (focusing exclusively on defense, always having a substandard receiving corps and O-line) has vastly diminished his ability to elevate his team to the elite level.

At the same time, since 2010 the Quakes have essentially squandered the career of the all-time MLS scoring champion by trading away key supporting cast members (Beita, Morrow for example) spending DP money on unknowns from obscure leagues, etc. Yes, we won the Supporters Shield in 2012, but that was more the result of an almost magical set of events (look how many points were gained in the last minutes of games during that season) than by management triumph.

Both Wondo and Rodgers have had incredible careers more in spite of than because of the (mis)management of their respective teams. This makes me sad.

Quakes05 repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I saw Yokohama play live (at Tokyo Verdy) back in 2018.

12. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    But did he win the beep test?

Earthshaker and don gagliardi repped this.
  13. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #3189 Quakes05, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    “Squandered” is right, Wondo epitomizes everything you would want in a player; the skill, the loyalty, the fight, the desire, the connection to fans and community...there was so much there to capitalize on with a player of his greatness.

Not that the teams record of hopelessness and futility diminishes his accomplishments one iota in my eyes, nor those of anyone here, I’m sure, but it really pisses me off that more effort wasn’t made to build a team around him that could showcase his talent and give him what he so obviously deserves, a title or two under his belt.

bsman repped this.
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Rodgers would have gone to a second Super Bowl if one of the reserves had recovered an onside kick in Seattle, as I recall.

15. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that's hilarious. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I have to quote you on twitter...

I'm just being honest. Successfully aging doesn't mean denying aging, it means adapting to it. But Earthshaker's examples of other athletic outliers above, and his clarification that Wondo came in 4th, not 1st, are very helpful. Certainly Wondo is one-of-a-very-rare-kind.

Earthshaker and don gagliardi repped this.
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    tenfourteen repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Looks like an effort afoot to rename one of the streets around the stadium, "Wondo Way."

San Jose Planning Dept. auto-generated email posted on thread on Quakes' reddit:

Dear Subscriber,

During the last week, the City of San José Planning Division received the following development application(s) in your selected geographic area of interest. Council District 3 Ref: ST20-001 Project Location: 1123 COLEMAN AV Minor street renaming from "Champion Drive" to "Wondo Way" Project Manager Alec Atienza, (408) 535-7688, Alec.Atienza@sanjoseca.gov. If the project requires a public hearing, residents within a 300-, 500-, or 1,000-foot radius of the project, may be notified by mail. For more information about an application, click on the Project Reference (Ref) link or contact the Project Manager using the listed phone number. You may also speak with a City Planner by calling 408-535-3555 (visit www.sanjoseca.gov/planning for Planning?s phone service hours) or in person at Planning' Offices at San José City Hall, 200 E. Santa Clara Street, 3rd floor tower from Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m.- Noon and 1:00 - 5:00 p.m.

Development applications may change after initial application submittal. To check on the project's status, retain the Project Reference link for future use.

NOTE: Please do not reply to this e-mail, as it is automatically generated. To unsubscribe, select the following link:

19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

That will cost our penurious owner much less than building a statue.

20. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well let's face it though -- Champion Drive was a terrible misnomer

Scott Rohde repped this.
  21. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome News!

22. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    They should pave the road before the naming ceremony. The inevitable picture on the Mercury front page won’t look very good otherwise.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Will fans chant , "follow the Wondo brick road"?

Beerking and Goodsport repped this.
  24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, all at the same time. :thumbsup:

And then they will all loudly blow into their whistles :):

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool: