Heroes and Villains

Discussion in 'Manchester United: History' started by Dark Savante, Nov 16, 2006.

1. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Maybe the fact that you confuse Ronaldo, C Ronaldo, and Ronaldinho, and can't spell any of their names, and refuse to correct yourself, and spend your time on a message board trying to get a rise out of people.

And your self portrait is pretty interesting as well.

2. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    well..if you coudnt tell i dont put alot of importance in my spelling or proper writing skills...and i didnt get them confused..maybe the last names but not the person..i watch man u on fox soccer channel almost one time a week ..i know who im speaking of...

like i said earlier in my posting "career"...you soccer fans are passionate,aggressive,and hate newbies...this guy danny wants said i shouldnt have a wife obviously,and i shouldnt spend my time posting my messages either.."no one is getting a rise out of charlie"

3. GrodZilla

GrodZilla Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It brings a tear to my eye that Jesper is not forgotten... He recently turned to coaching swedish first division side Enköping if anyone's interested.

4. bestbecks

bestbecks Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Heroes:
    Beckham: I loved him from day one. He was nothing short of brilliant for Manchester United and gave it his all when he stepped on the field in that red shirt. He took the number 7 and honoured it as it should have been. He was a true red and showed it. 1998-99 proved it, and that game vs. Real in 2003 CL QF 2nd leg at home proved it.

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer: What can I not say positive about this man? He loves this club with everything in his heart, and I love him just as much.

Paul Scholes: One of my all time favorite players. A real red, born in Manchester supported the club and gave nothing but 100% for us when he's on the field. He has been nothing short of miraculous in the past and even today he is playing outstanding. He puts his heart on his sleeve every damn day.

Keano: One of the best captains of our wonderful club and certainly the most successful. He represented our club with pride and from the word "GO" never stopped to think about his loyalties to us.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy: He loved playing for this club and loved and more importantly appreciated us as fans. Every goal he scored was not for him but for Man Utd to help them go on and win it all. It's ashame that he never got to win as much as he deserved and that he left on rough terms. One quote that will always stand out from him is this- "I was there for five incredible years and I will carry that with me for the rest of my life. The fans embraced me and they never let go." We never will Ruud.

Bryan Robson: My personal favorite captain that I've ever seen play. He played the game like it was his last ever. He showed us fans and his players that to be a red devil you need to have passion, drive, determination, and a hunger for success that never ever fades away. Meant so much to the club and to us fans.

Villains:

Mikael Silvestre: He is garbage and does not play with the intensity required to be a Manchester United player. He may try on occasion but that is not enough. You must give your all to play on Man Utd and put your heart on your sleevs like the players under my hero category, he did not.

Keiran Richardson: The boy has a bit of talent. He can run real quick and shoot pretty well. Unfortunately that's all he's got. He thinks he's made it but he doesn't know shit. You have not made it until you show this club what you're worth and you can't do that unless you play with you'r heart.

Jaap Stam: He was one of the best defenders in the world while playing for us, but apparently didn't like it and didn't like the manager that showed faith in him. When you criticize the Alex Ferguson like that you deserve what you get in return.

EDIT: I feel like explaining my Becks decision after reading all the other posts. He's on my list because I grew up watching him play. He came to be a first teamer as I was in elementary school. He holds a special place in my heart because he made me want to play football and I tried to mimic his every move on the field. His effort was impeccable, the way he trained was amazing. As a kid what Beckham did, I did (the on field stuff). His latter years here were depressing for me to watch as he focused more on fame than football. One thing that pisses me off more than anything in the world is that he gave his all for England, but the English fans (bar ours of course) never appreciated him. He has always appreciated us and always loved our club, but shit got to his head. I am basing him as my hero because he was my football player and the perfect Manchester United football player back in his day. I actually did cry when he got transfered, because it was as if my Manchester United team that I grew up watching was falling apart for good. I could see it coming but never wanted to admit it. The worst part for me is right now watching him rot away on the Madrid bench, he's never been the same since he left. You could of had so much more Becks if you didn't let it all go to your head. He is a villain to himself, not to me.

5. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Glenn Hoddle has the rare quality that, when he talks, nobody listens. Pretty much everything he says is open to ridicule, with the assertion that Michael Owen is not a natural goalscorer top of the list. Yet when he suggested that Andy Cole needed five chances to score a goal, the football world took the word of Hod as gospel.

There are much more incontrovertible statistics by which Cole should be judged. In the history of the Premiership, only Alan Shearer has scored more goals (260 to Cole's 187). Even more tellingly for a player whose approach play never got any credit, never mind as much as it deserved, only Ryan Giggs and Dennis Bergkamp have more assists from open play than Cole's 127. And if you exclude penalties (Shearer 56, Cole 1), Cole's goals-per-Premiership-games ratio is actually higher than Shearer's. Longevity and outstanding service from Giggs and co can qualify these statistics, but they cannot discredit them.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/02/01/on_second_thoughts_andy_cole.html

---

I wrote a bit about McGrath ages ago and forgot to put it in here. Will do in a min.

6. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Heroes continued

10. Paul McGrathJaysus, can somebody get me a drink at half time! Mine’s a pint of bitter

Paul McGrath was an enigma to me when I was growing up. Defenders and defending were an annoyance, they were just there to be humiliated by skilful attackers in my eyes. There was nothing worse than having to defend for me when I was at school, I didn’t rate defenders, they were the players with so little skill they had to play defence. Paul McGrath was one of very players in the 80’s that changed my mind and overall thinking about defenders and defending.

If I had thought my top 10 through before putting it down, he’d have come in just after Sparky. Football in the 80’s was shite. I hated it. We weren’t a special side and the scousers were winning everything in sight and my loathing for Liverpool reached an all-time high with the release of ‘the Anfield Rap’ outside of our own games and watching them and hoping they would lose, I didn’t have much interest in the game, it was anything but beautiful in England back then and for my young eyes, the few outstanding players I could see played for them and us (bias, I guess) what I did realise, however, was that they didn’t have a defender like McGrath.

McGrath was fast, mobile, clean and tidy. He wasn’t a player my dad could go to a game and not tell me to watch. I didn’t know what it was I was watching, my attention was always on the forwards and Robbo, but I’d just copy what my dad did and would clap when he clapped – monkey see, monkey do. I did start to understand that the clapping directly correlated with McGrath. Usually it would be him taking the ball away from the exciting players (forwards) and running back up-field with it. It took me a time to appreciate that these un-skilled players at the back were just as important as the exciting players who were so good they played up front… maybe I was just a simple youngster? *shrugs.

Anyway, going back to Liverpool, when I would watch them and wasn’t staring at Barnes and saw them defend, I noticed that they had no one like McGrath. Their back line was slow and stiff and extremely boring to my young eyes. The images of Hansen moving in that upright manner, as if his bones had been fused with small explosives that would trigger if he dropped that ridiculous posture are sadly burnt into my adult mind (talk about a troubled childhood :( ) what I also remember is thinking how different this style was from McGrath’s. Hansen was always reactive. He had to read play and then make a key move. McGrath, by contrast, seemed to be able to do what he wanted and still get the ball.

In truth, McGrath is more of a post-humous legend for me. I appreciated him more and more the older I got. And the more I understood that defenders weren’t just people too rubbish to play forward positions, the higher my regard for him got. By the time he left us and went to Villa I had a full appreciation of his game. He was never a hero in the way Hughes and Robbo were for me, who I would try to mimic in-part when I played, but he was always the third player I would look out for when we played. I also know that if it wasn’t for my dad’s constant praise and applauding of the player I would never have known he existed. In my young eyes the game began at midfield and anyone who could dribble or score was better than those who couldn’t – playing defence was their punishment for being crap. McGrath is the first CB in the English league in the 80’s who struck my mind’s eye as ‘not crap.’

The way McGrath defended was quite unique for that era. Players like Stuart Pearce and Terry Butcher were clattering everything in sight, without mercy or much thought – that type of player is what I associated with being too crap to be an attacker. They stood out for reasons outside of their actual defending to me and it was only until I learned what controlled aggression was that I gave them any value as footballers. McGrath didn’t need to ‘resort’ to any of that. He was just there, steady and dependable. In one-on-one’s I took it for granted he would get the ball, in foot-races, I knew he would win. It was very easy to take him for granted when he played, his level was such that even I, as a youngster, could understand why my dad and majority crowd would clap his interceptions.

I tell you what was weird to see; McGrath being better at Villa than he was here. McGrath at Villa is the best CB I’ve seen in English football. Only Sol at Spurs comes close to that level. It’s at that time that I realised what we had missed out on – McGrath at his best…actually playing to his full potential. His cruise control was such that he was still the best CB around, but when he was at Villa, proving to SAF that he was more than a dodgy drunk, McGrath transformed into a stellar player, really, really stellar. If his knees weren’t dodgy and he had applied himself (not been drunk for his entire tenure at Utd)like that for his entire career he would be hailed as world all-time great, let alone a Division 1/PL special player.

7. The Guv'nor

The Guv'nor Member

Mar 24, 2006
    You sound like how I was with Keane, I always used to wonder why people considered him one of our best players. I liked the (in our team) Giggs', Sharpes, Kanchelskis', Cantonas etc

8. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland

Paul McGrath is one of my favourite players of all time (maybe because I incline towards defensive/support play myself). His performance against Italy and Roberto Baggio in USA '94 was a masterclass in defending. I wish I'd appreciated him more when I saw him playing, even towards the end of his career.

9. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Best performance ever I've seen of a defender such a high profile game. I uploaded this mini-documentary about that game. Required viewing for all McGrath fans.

[youtube]QRRt8Pwv3cY[/youtube]

10. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    A great interview with a genuine legendary defender. An excerpt:

Even when he was fuelled by alcohol, McGrath was by any standards an outstanding player, whose career-defining performance was arguably in the World Cup on 18 June, 1994, in the Group E match at Giants Stadium in New Jersey, between Ireland and Italy. The oldest man on the pitch, older even than Franco Baresi, McGrath was thrillingly, inspirationally obdurate at the heart of the Irish defence. And yet after Ireland's famous 1-0 victory, he found himself unable to celebrate. "I was sitting at the back of the bus, looking through the tinted glass, watching the Irish supporters all delirious, yet I couldn't tap into what had just happened."

Full article: http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/news/article2165413.ece

11. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    "A life littered with broken relationships, suicide attempts and a dependence on alcohol so chronic that, unable to find any vodka in the house, he once downed a pint of Domestos."

Bloody hell. Imagine what he could have done with today's precise nutritional regimes. There aren't many famous people who I'd be interested in outside of their professions, but I would love to meet him.

12. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Like I said, McGrath is without a doubt the best CB I've ever seen in the English league, his season at A.V when he was proving his worth to Fergie for being moved on was him at 75% if he'd been tee-total he'd be an all-time world great CB, he was that good.

It's a great shame, and a great waste. He comes across as an incredibly nice guy, very self-effacing and shy, like you, I'd love to meet him. He's on my 'affable chap list' along with Paddy Crerand.

13. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Thread necromancy! :D

14. BusbyBabes

BusbyBabes New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Up North
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Villains

Gabriel Heinze

How does a player, idolised and adored for his never-say-die attitude despite some erractic displays (AC Milan-2006) and supported through his many injuries, repay the fans? Yes by demanding to join the club to which every United fan and player knows there is a fierce rivalry. Never has a players popularity plummeted as quickly as that of Gabriel Heinze. Despite the fact he was Argentinian I was won over by him. How foolish was I..:rolleyes: You have to doubt his commitment to the club while he was here. Remember how he decided to miss the first month of the season because he wanted to play in the Olympics for Argentina? I am all for a player to play for his country but in the alloted time in the calendar. I have heard it said that foreign players do not understand the rivalries between different clubs but I don't believe he was that naive that he did not know what he was letting himself in for. Then he had the cheek to moan because Fergie would not let him join Liverpool. He could have gone abroad straight away and left with his good popularity intact but he did not. Karma's great though as he has been injured for most of the season.

Ruud

Great goalscorer for United I admit that but I dislike him. He was never one for team spirit and it was shown in the last season he was here. The continuous fights with Ronaldo and he attack on the relationship between Queiroz and Ronaldo just spoke of bullying. I dislike the constant slagging off of Fergie and the club by Ruud which has continued since the move TWO YEAR AGO and also slying stating that he has gone to a better club. Yeah a f**** great way to say goodbye to the fans.

Beckham

I cannot help thinking that his celebrity lifestyle and his wife became more important to him than the club. I dislike the way everything is a circus around him and this is especially true of the England team. I am also annoyed as it is believed that he was in talks with Real months before he left the club which I find a traitorous move especially by that of a home grown kid.

Roy Carroll

I hated the way everytime the ball came to him I nearly had a heart attack..just for once he could have actually caught the ball. You will be seeing him plying his trade in the PL again as he has moved to Derby (luckily they are already down).

Heroes

Duncan Edwards

Now I don't know if this is meant to be players you have seen playing but big Dunc is just something magical to me. Despite there being only a few videos of him I just admire his talent and think whistfully of what could have been.:( It is a great thing that there are books about him and those written by him to reveal what a down to earth lad (which he was and my age) he was. If only...!!

Ole

Helping to provide me with one of the earliest and clearest memories of United. It is a pity that I remember him more clearly being injured in matches like that against Panathnikos. He never moaned when he was a sub like those players that do now.

Giggs

Old Hairy chest! He may be getting old and rugged but he is a great. Always loyal even when things were going bad (shame on those who booed him!) and when other clubs wanted him.

Fergie

I think I will be quite upset when he ups and leaves from his office..:( He has been there before I was born..two weeks to be exact. He has brought us trophies and knocked Liverpool off their f****** perch.