Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by GringoTex, Sep 25, 2003.

1. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  2. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    What exactly would we invade them with? Scout Troop 14? Unless of course, we moved troops out of Iraq in order to take on Iran. Then we could hold on to Baghdad, installing a leader handchosen by the US, while slowly allowing the rest of the country to be controlled by a faction of warlords, many of whom will be sympathetic to the previous regime. The citizens of Iraq won't like it, but how do you stop rogue warlords without any significant police or military presence to stem the tide of violence?

Heck, in a couple of months you'd be hardpressed to even find a story about Iraq in a newspaper.

Nah, that could never happen.

3. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    I was going to try and post something witty, but this has gone so far it just makes me think of how stupid we all are.

So now, did we invade Iraq to show the other members of the Axis that we mean business and they better fall in line, or did we do it so they would speed up their weapons programs because they know they're next? Either way does really give a good reason does it.

4. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Re: Re: Here we go again...

Beautiful. But it won't happen until August '04 Gulf War II attack of Ayotolla will top the box office just in time for November returns.

5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Unlike Iraq, Iran is a cause for serious concern. Ayatollahs with nukes is not a pretty picture. Unfortunately, we're now paying a price for Bush's exaggerations and misguided focus on Iraq.

6. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    They shouldn't have those programs period. Blaming us for the increased speed of their developent is just plain stupid. Besides, it's not like the Iranians started up said programs after we destroyed the taliban. The Iranians have yearned for nuclear weapons since the days of the shah. this is nothing new, so they must be held accountable.

We arn't going to do anything serious against Iran. That theocracy will fall soon enough. Recent student protests show that maybe the Islamic Revolution wasn't the greatest idea after all.

7. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That makes sense. Let's invade the country that has no WMDs, harbors no terrorists, and is not a threat to our national interests.

But let's not do anything serious to the country partly controlled by Islamic fundamentalists who are on the verge of developing a nuclear weapon.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes sense to me.

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i caaaaaan't wait for his reply...

10. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Hey, I'm down if you're down. Here we come Tehran. And after wer're finished with you, on to Riyahd. And then Cairo. And then Khartoum. And then Tripoli. And then Algiers. Then we'll loop back and hit Beirut and Damascus, and Ramallah.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

me? finished with me? what color crack are you on?

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    By the time you're done with that, it'll be time for Afghanistan II.

And after that, you can swing back to the ol' continent to straighten out Old Europe.

13. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Dude, you really ought to stick with your swiss german becuase your english skills are below average. i said "here we come tehran, and when we're finshed with you, (implying the Iranians).....

Besides, you didn't even take the time to try to understand my post.

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

for the 1001st time... I AM AMERICAN - there is nothing wrong with my english, perhaps should have replaced the word YOU with THEM - i wouldn't cast dispersions on other people's english because the only thing impressive about you is your bloodlust

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone in the world knows this is an empty threat.

Unless Bush brings back the draft or something.

16. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough talk from Naperville. Hit the goddamned Foward Edge of Battle, fish-boy! Let's see you hump, just one day...its far too easy to talk *#*#*#*# from the superb-urbs...

17. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Would his presidentcy survive if he did that?

18. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well manny would be voting Democrat, that's for sure.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you think???

20. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Here we go again...

So in your opinion, we went to war with a country over something that was not a serious concern? What will we do with those countries that are a serious concern -- rescind their driving privileges? Make them drink red wine with fish?

21. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Yes, it's stupid to think that an action begets a reaction.

22. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Iran just saw watched us destroy their neighbor for having WMDs- even though their neighbor didn't have WMDs. What the hell do you think they're going to do.

23. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The recent foreign policy of the United States has been based on the following concepts:

-- If you covet weapons of mass destruction, you are subject to invasion and dethronement by US troops (see: Iraq).
    -- However, if you actually develop or purchase those weapons, you will receive economic aid (see: North Korea).

Therefore, for a country that has had a WMD program, it would be totally rational to speed it up and develop some nasty weapons so that they can move from the "invasion-prone" category to "aid-receiving" category.

24. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    I think it would. Bringing back the draft means only one thing, the troops from the reserve had been worn out. That means the situration in Iraq had further deteriorated. More americans got killed in a war that shouldn't have been fought in the very first place.

25. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    i hate to burst your guys bubble, but even the evil Rumsfeld said he doesn't want the draft back. If one of your public enemies says that, then you have nothing to worry about.