Here we go again.......

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by tigger21, Apr 13, 2006.

1. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I don't know how this thread about the Cougars turned into a baseball conversation, but...

Teams like Pittsburgh, Kansas City, and Milwaukee are getting revenue sharing money from overspenders like the Yankees and Boston. The intention for the luxury tax was for those non-spenders to use the money on payroll to ensure some kind of competitive balance. But in many cases, the non-spenders are just pocketing that money.

I don't think you can justify the Pirates small payroll as it corelates to their attendance. You mean to say if they can't get 30,000 a game they are going to be a bad team forever and never get any good players?

Under the current system teams like Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Milwaukee and, especially Florida are pathetic AAA teams trying to pass themselves off (well, the Brewers are gaining respectability).

Personally I think there needs to be a salary cap in baseball a lot like the one they just installed in the NHL. But baseball's owners are too wimpy to ever do it and they have is a luxury tax that only applies to payrolls that are two times the average size.

2. Soccer-Man

Soccer-Man New Member

Nov 12, 2005

Thank you for the excellent insight. The number don't lie. Both the Brewers and the Pirates refuse to spend money. They can call it profit, but I call it bootleg accounting and a slap to the fans.

3. Soccer-Man

Soccer-Man New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Excellent response. But in the case of the Pirates, maybe if the spent some money, they wouldn't be 27th in the league in attendance. This team hasn't won since the early '90s. Baseball needs a salary cap.

4. CRob

CRob New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    As a loyal Brewers fan it was extremely hard to watch the team under the Selig's. Anytime anyone got good they got traded right away. However I dispute that just by buying a team you will win. The Brewers, despite their low payroll finished tied for 15th in wins last year. Now I hope they will continue their payroll increasing, however they do not need to go spend $200 million a year. I agree some teams are truly abusing a non salary capped league, ie Marlins especially, but this is a business and one rule of business is getting the biggest bang for your buck. There were several teams last year that over spent and did not produce, from a fans perspective that would be equally frustrating. I would love to see a salary cap in baseball, but as long as Steinbrener is running the league it wont happen.

Also I find it really amusing that the most constructive, thought envoking debate that has been on this board in months would be about a baseball salary cap. At least it will give us something to talk about for awhile.

5. bda52

bda52 Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    From http://dugoutdollars.blogspot.com/2003_06_01_dugoutdollars_archive.html#026

Where does the luxury tax money that is collected go?
    The luxury tax money collected is split out as follows:

* The first $5m is held in reserve, to pay for possible luxury tax refunds. Once it is clear that there are no refunds to be issued, this money is then earmarked for the Industry Growth Fund (IGF).
    * 50% of the remaining money is used to fund player benefits.
    * 25% is used to fund baseball programs in developing countries with no high-school baseball.
    * 25% is put into the Industry Growth Fund (IGF).

The IGF has many different goals - promotion and marketing of MLB, international development, investments in new media technology, community service, and "enhancement in popularity and revenue growth" among teams that receive money from revenue sharing. The money allocated to these teams must be based on "investment criteria". I have not seen any reports of which teams (if any) received any disbursements from the IGF thus far - if anyone has, please let me know.

It is not a matter of getting good players for the Pirates, it is a problem of keeping them after they become good. Without a salary cap or higher team revenue, the best players on the lower end teams will always be signed to contracts by the upper 10 teams in MLB.

This year expect the Pirates to get over 2 million in attendance. To have a chance to get All-Star game tickets you have to be at least a partal season ticket holder.

I do not disagree about those clubs being more like AAA teams at all. Here in Pittsburgh it has, sadly, become accepted. Personally I have not been to a Pirate game since the early 90's and do not plan to go anytime soon.

Salary cap would be great but MLB's players union is too strong and it will not happen for quite a while.

6. OsFan

OsFan New Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Doesn't the Storm outdraw the Marlins? The team's talking about moving. Florida has shown an inability to support the team. They couldn't even sell out postseason games.

~King

7. bda52

bda52 Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    In total attendance the Marlins (1,823,388) actually outdrew the Pirates (1,794,237) but the Pirates played 2 home games less. If they would have averaged 23,003 for those 2 extra games then they would have outdrew Florida by 16,855.

Suprisingly the Marlins out drew the Blast :D

8. Soccer-Man

Soccer-Man New Member

Nov 12, 2005

Now that is funny. I am cracking up. Damn funny.

But to be honest, not even the pitiful Marlins are as bad as the Storm.

Remember, the Wave, Cougars and Storm are the armpits and backside of the MISL.