Henry Signs with NYRB

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by lfcli30, Jul 14, 2010.

1. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got a text from NYRB

2. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Reports: Henry signs with New York

Second part...which kinda sucks. We have Columbus away this week and it's a huge match for us.

3. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, indeed. The Thierry Henry signing is now official.

MLSSoccer.com also has it on the front page. Yes, this has been the worst kept secret of a DP signing in MLS history, but the mood still changes now that MLS and the Red Bulls are unleashing the story themselves.

Congratulations to RBNY. They need a player like Henry and hopefully, this'll keep David Beckham in MLS just so they can play each other again. Beckham isn't playing a World Cup anytime soon, so this could be quite an incentive for him to stay for a few more years.

If Becks stays in LA, then a real East Coast/West Coast rivalry can begin between LAG and RBNY. But I am more interested in the September 16th match vs FC Dallas in Frisco. I can't wait for that one.

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Welcome to NASL @ 1975.

US soccer is going the wrong route once again.

Henry, 32
    Robert Pirès, 36
    Giggs, wants to come at the age of 37
    Lampard wants to come when he's 35-36.

Please, focus on making MLS a place where new stars are born, not where old stars come to die.

5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pires as back on? I thought he didn't like the smell of Philly and AFAIK, no one else is interested.

Giggsy? He'll get run off the field. But if some sucker team other than mine wants to blow a spot on him, fine by me.

Same with Lamps.

6. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA

32 is not that old. as the rest of your list show's, top players can stay competitive at the highest level for years beyond that.

as for the rest of that list, every transfer window we get a flurry of bullshit rumors pop up that never happen, and this one will be no different.

it's not a one or the other situation. MLS can gear up it's development system AND sign name players that will sell tickets and merchandise.

please refrain from spewing hyperbole.

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

I have no idea if Pirès is "back on". It's the notion that MLS even considers it that disgusts me.

The logic that a quick temporary influx of bandwagon fans only interested in big names is more beneficial than lifting the quality of the league as a whole through youth development is asinine if MLS are interested in the long term success.

My guess is that the owners are tired of losing money and want money now and are willing to take it at the expense of long term success.

8. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands

How is this like NASL? Teams are allowed a maximum of three DPs and when they sign three DPs they have to pay a luxury tax that become allocation cash for the other teams. Meanwhile, teams are required to play large numbers of American and Canadian players, thus supporting the development of North American national teams. Also, teams are playing in soccer-specific stadiums with national and local TV contracts for which the league is paid real money.

Besides, players in their 30s are still in good playing condition, especially with the advances in fitness and training that have been made in the past forty years.

Don't be jealous that RBNY managed to sign a fantastic talent like Thierry Henry.

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

True, but Henry hasn't been near his highest level the last two years.

10. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Henry now is fine, the rest would be very poor signings.

11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

This is my point.

Thierry Henry is a fantastic name.
    But his talent left him two years ago.
    He's a has-been.

I don't want MLS becoming a league of "has-beens"

12. nedigital

nedigital Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Mass

If anyone knows how to email the Red Bulls website staff (I couldn't find it on their site) or if anyone from RB checks this board, there's a typo on the page announcing his signing. Ugh. It says "Challege" in the subtitle at the very top. One would hope this page would get a lot of traffic and they will fix it soon.

13. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

*facepalm*

Henry is still a top athlete. That is why he is made for MLS. Pires? You do know he just played last season at Villareal. Besides, we've only heard of one MLS team going after him. Giggs is saying what the reporter wants him to say and Lampard? Yeah, I'll believe it when it happens. Every time a big time player says "I may want to finish my career there," he never does. Zidane, Nedved, Cannavaro, etc. never played in MLS.

But we're going to b***h about age? Top 3 goal scorers in the league: De Rosario - 32, Angel - 34, and even Buddle is 29. Henry is a better athlete than all of them. But no, lets ignore context and make stupid comments.

14. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

He scored over 30 goals last year.

1 person likes this.
  15. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OMG! The sky is falling.

You do know that every time MLS signs one of these over-the-hill players that top clubs are considering them too, right? AC Milan wanted Beckham, LJungberg has had offers from Europe, River wanted Angel back, MLS can't pry Veron from Estudiantes, Gallardo went straight back to River Plate, Henry was rumored to be heading to West Ham who was mentioned among several other EPl clubs, Vieira signed with Manchester City, Ze Roberto has played for Bayern Munich and Hamburg since spurning MLS and he's 36 (he must really suck!), etc.

This is one of the most annoying "myths" revolving around MLS and it is worse when it is purported by our own damn fans. They're age says their old, but their talent level and current clubs says that MLS would be lucky to have any of them. And by the way, MLS did just have its largest Generation Adidas class EVER. Do you even pay attention?

2 people repped this.
  16. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England

He scored more than enough goals the season before last and barely had any playing time this season just gone (15 starts). I hardly think you can base his current form upon that, he'll tear MLS up if he puts his mind to it while he's at New York.

17. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

This is the top story on the Sky Sports website, and one of the top stories on the Guardian Sports section.

19. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How much more free publicity you could ask for.

20. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

It's also great because people who exclusively follow the EPL from the USA won't even be able to avoid this news.

21. RerunStubs

RerunStubs Member

Dec 8, 2006

Henry is one player in a league of about 350, and he'll likely be one of the best. Get a grip.

22. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They don't want to throw him to the wolves right away, better to let him get an easier match in against Spurs first. :D

Anyway, the timing of his debut works out well for Columbus. We'll have played them twice before the Henry debut while LA and Salt Lake both have yet to play NY. Think it bodes well for Columbus' Shield hopes.

1 person likes this.
  23. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, unless Henry is pulling a Gooch, I don't think it's free...;)

24. isolde

isolde Member

Feb 14, 2004
    nj
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I disagree with your statement.
    Footballer at 32 yrs is not considered old at all.
    There are many cases in the history of folldball to prove.

To think Henry's talent has left him two years ago because he was not the starting 11 at Barca is over statement.

When a player did not get play time on club lavel does not mean his talent is gone.

Did you watch World Cup? Wesly Seijder at RMD, Lukas Podolski and Miroslav Klose were all warming benches at club level.

Herny has been at top level of his profession with super vision and technics.
    The young players will learn from him by playing with him.

I feel honored that this world class super star is coming to America!
    He will bring the world attention to MLS!
    He will bring new adudiance and new excitement to MLS !!

25. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Join the club. We have jackets.