Henry, Is This How He Will Be?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Metrosuccess, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the game tonight I began wondering if this is all Henry will be for us. Has he gotten this old this fast? He looks like his skills have disapated as well as his offensive fire. Really starting to worry now what he will give us going forward. Did not like what I saw at the game tonight.

2. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems to go missing for long stretches of the game. He hasn't set the world on fire that's for sure and he needs to step up.

But also some bad luck is a factor. He put himself in a few good spots against Houston and either Hall made a huge save or he just missed. You would have to believe that eventually he will get a break of some sort.

3. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    He has 17 games for eventually and nothing, I'm not worry I start to get piss....And how about Rodgers I still don't see nothing that may me think that send out Hall, Tchani, Borman and Sinisa has been a good idea....

4. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how Rodgers has anything to do with Tchani, Borman, Sinisa, or Hall or what that has to do with this thread.

5. Tom845

Tom845 Member

Jan 25, 2011
    New Windsor, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still holding onto some hope that Henry will give us something on the pitch. I'm not ready to label him a bust yet. He did have his chances tonight, but he seemed to be a little too nonchalant on that tip in he should have made close to goal. I think if he would have lifted it a little, he could have beat the keeper. I'm hoping that once he does get his first, he might settle in. He does bring some intangibles to the team though. He has a wealth of experience and technical knowledge that he is imparting to the rest of the team. In a feature run on Sky Sports, they mentioned that Henry stayed after practice and worked with Agudelo. I can't think of a better skills coach for this young player than Henry. I know that's not why we brought him here, but until he gets things going, I'll take what I can get.

6. Idolg1982

Idolg1982 Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think it might have to do something more about tactics then just Henry. At Arsenal he would tend to drift outwide to the left to recieve the ball and have someone like Kanu or Bergkamp stay centrally. Here with the Red Bulls it seems he stays central the whole game untill Rogers came in.

7. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking so. I wouldn't be shocked if the boo-birds start coming out next home game.

8. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    If Henry has another poor performance like tonight, fans will be burning his jersey like they did LeBron's.

9. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was clear near the end of his time at Barcelona he was suffering from massive loss of form, it certainly doesn't help that he lost his speed and his injuries are getting the best of him.

10. foolovsky

foolovsky Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn't lost his speed - I would bet that he outpaces Richards in a 100m dash.

I don't know what it is with him, he just seems really down.

11. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now he looks gassed. Hs footwork is still decent, but he can't beat a defender. He still has the height a physicality to put the head on the ball, but doesn't seem to have his heart in it.

Right now his biggest asset may be Agudelo mentor.

12. BokenTerp

BokenTerp New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Hoboken, NJ
    Bingo! I'm not going to boo him though because I never had high expectations to begin with and it won't help anything. Enjoy it for what it is. We have someone who was once a legend, now well past it at the end of his career. He can still play in MLS, just in an average capacity.

13. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with a few points raised so far.

He's out of form and probably a bit fragile. These are things he can work to improve with some strength training and playing time.

He's out of position. He's playing the role of target striker, and it's just not him. I say this even though the one aspect of his game last night that worked pretty well was holding the defender off the ball and feeding his team mates. But this is just not his natural position and so we won't see his best there. This is something only Backe can change. Agudelo has all the tools, maybe we need to give him this role.

He's lost his confidence. The first shot he took last night looked like he was hoping to fiind someone to pass the ball to, and only took the shot because he had to. This is something that a few good goals will help, and maybe a sports psych.

Bottom line, there seems to be quite a few things going on with Henry. All of them are fixable, assuming he has the fight in him to fix them. If he doesn't, then, yes, we are seeing his retirement unfold before our very eyes.

14. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    He's down? Think about the fans. :)

Really, let's hold our tongues and give him a bit more time. I agree, so far, he hasn't contributed much on the pitch but strange things happen. Although there's no reason to think so, TH may all of a sudden find his form (just as important he needs to keep it).

If by mid-season he hasn't done anything more than he has up to now then people (including Red Bull management) will be justified if they conclude that the TH acquisition was a mistake.

15. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe that.. Remember he was playing hurt.

Give him some time all it takes is one goal for him to get going.

16. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    You have to see the whole scenario, clean the house isn't just clean it up because Backe like it that way, have a purpose and this is bring people that Hank like, bring Hallowing or what is the name for the assistant wasn't just because, was to have him in hand and fire Richie, everything have a plan that is all....

17. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I just think he's a little too committed to this "creator" role, to the point that he's forgotten than scoring is still in his job description. He always looks to pass before he shoots, and when he does shoot he's hesitant.

18. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    With a striker, be concerned if they aren't getting any chances. He had his chances and had he finished just one of them we'd have been singing his praises last night.

19. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?

20. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have nothing to do with this, and second of all you're going to judge Rodgers from 1 game of playing with about a quarter of the first team and 15 minutes last night? Please.

21. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    C'mon guys, obviously Hall, Tchani, Borman, and Sinisa were exactly what we needed yesterday, since they are all known for their effective and consistent attacking play and finishing. Just imagine if Chinn and Garcia were there too, game would have ended 7-0!

metz is bored with arguing about imaginary roster rules so now he is spending his time overrating our former players in every thread whether its relevant to the discussion or not.

22. Chewie23

Chewie23 Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chinn hasn't even played with Salt Lake yet. If no teams show'd interest in Garcia when he was waived, then why is he this "wonder" kid that will save teams.

And Metz was asking for Sinisa to be released last year.

Sutton needs to get healthy soon as well. I can't STAND Condoul.

23. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    People keep trying to make the argument that even though he was in no mans land for the goal (how many times did Shep say that phrase btw?), only Bouna would have made that save in the 10th minute in the lower right corner, as if Sutton didn't make several close reflex saves against Seattle.

24. badideas

badideas Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Bouna cost us the win, no question. If he stood his ground, there is no way Weaver gets that shot on target from that angle with enough power to beat him. That, or Ream or Marquez forces him wide.

Henry was definitely meant to be more than a marketing gimmick, and he was expected to score goals, but I think it's getting kind of boring and impatient that we have this thread once a month after we lose or tie a close game. He created a good chance or two in the game. His header was well placed, and simply met a nice save from Hall. Nearly every one of our attacking players missed an easy finish. Did you see Soler's face when Rodgers couldn't lift the ball over Hall?

I think what we're witnessing is that, as others have mentioned, Henry doesn't see himself as the target man at this age--especially in this physical league. Seattle lost a DP because of the same dilemma--give the man credit that he is being professional, and trying his best. With DeRo, Agudelo, and Richards, we don't need Henry to be the guy he was at Arsenal and Barca--nor is that necessarily a reasonable expectation. Give the guy more than two games this season before we start calling him a bust.

25. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    Also something that people are not doing is giving Boswell and Tally Hall the credit they deserve. Tally Hall played lights out last night. If it was not for his play Henry would have two goals and a few other players would have put a few in the back of the net.