Helping Africa

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by IntheNet, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Obviously you have been to Africa many times and have a clue what people out there ask for and should be given... :rolleyes:

Do a little research and you will find that most aid agencies ask for people not to give things like pencils and other material goods as they never have enough for everyone, it causes jeolousy and fights ensue.

Not to give food as it would be very bad for them to have one piece of western food and then go back to their own food when you have left. You will find that aid agencies encourage taking out PHOTO'S of family, animals and buildings from your countries as these have no monetry value, but are treasured. Small coins like one penny and one cent coins as well. I know it may seem to you for the Bush family to never do anything right, but actually, this time, they are doing exactly the right thing.

2. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

I try to stay away from places where everyobody is wearing hideous tie-dyed shirts.

Screw food, get them some normal tshirts or something.

3. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't have the least idea how to help and it seems ungreatful and petty of you to criticize those that do and those that are helping!

4. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    No, you just wouldn't go as it's Africa and it wouldn't (thankfully) appeal to you.

5. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the insight - seriously.

6. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    I guess that did sound a little tetchy, but it annoys me to see people in Africa doing the wrong thing and making things worse for people. His sarcy comment about t-shirts after rather than admit he was wrong just says it all really - and it wound me up.

7. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Given that little concept called "WITHHOLDING", yeah - I pay taxes every two weeks. April 15 is just a reconciliation.

And even if your lame analogy held any water: unlike Bush, if I made such a pledge then didn't honor it, I'd find my ass in jail.

8. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

And I suppose you knew exactly what helps out in Africa did you? :rolleyes:

9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Friend of mine and co-soccer coach started an orphanage on his property in Swaziland many years ago. He's back living here in Washington State now but he still supports the place even though it's been handed over to a group that runs it as an AIDs hospice.
    For years Mike has tried to get some help from government departments mostly for medical supplies like nevirapine. It helps stop the transference of AIDs between mother and child at birth. Not with any degree of success though.
    Let's hope that this is one thing other than prosecuting war that GWB will stick with and all of Africa can receive some of the help it needs.
    I won’t hold my breath but I can hope.