Help!!!!! MPF!!!!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sachin, Oct 29, 2003.

1. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Who said the jokes need to be funny? Think "MENTOS". Some are daring, inappropriate, cute (who can resist dogs?) and yes, few are funny. The point here is that this stuff will grab attention, wether it be for good reasons or bad. This campaign targets everyone, not just MLS nuts or latinos. Everyone.

Second, the letters of choice. Metrostars didnt just throw in any 3 letters. The letters of choice stick.

Third, they're using celebrities. Some are dead, some political, some are cartoons or even fictional, but they grab attention.

From what I hear, what DC United is doing for the play offs sound good, but I just don't think it match's the creativity of what the Metros is doing. They're targeting a broader audience. DC is doing nothing different then what any other MKTG joe would do. Boring. Please remember that with all the ads an average american hears in one day, we have learned to tune out most ads. The only ads that americans will listen to are the ads that include legendery or current celebrities. Add the humor and the catch phrase, BANG! They have a nice recipie. Let's see if the chef knows how to use it.

Will it work? Only if this stuff is used heavily.

2. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    [​IMG]

So does this mean the Kennedy's really died from MPF? Wait till Oliver Stone hears about this.

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right in that ads can easily be tuned out. But that's all this is for the Metros - advertising. Humor is a dangerous weapon. How many ads really succeed in trying to be humorous?

Marketing isn't just advertising. That's the difference. Radio and TV appearances are huge and not easy to come by.Maybe they are getting them too, but I see no indication.

The Mutts created a bunch of ads. DCU has a marketing campaign with a personal touch. This is a silly advertising campaign, nothing more, nothing less.

4. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I don't have photoshop so this is the best I could do.

[​IMG]

:(

5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Stage II MPF This stuff just keeps getting worse. Someone help me.

Thx,

Jay!

6. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    It's even sadder when you realize that they're using an empty Giants Stadium.

Way to convey (not Bobby) that playoff atmosphere, geniuses...

7. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Lord, give me strength not to laugh my balls off at the prospect of Metroscum Playoff Failure. Now hearing "Back in Black" every friggin' game doesn't seem so bad.

8. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
  9. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Humor is delicate because whats concieved funny for one segment, may not be for the other. THis stuff is simply supposed to attract attention, and leave an after thought in the minds of viewers. I doubt it was focused to make people laugh.

This type of stuff usually causes a frenzy with the media and radio. Wether they be mocked or receive positive recognition, this is the type of stuff that gets attention. Shameless promotion. Promotion is more important then advertising.

Will this work? Most likely not. Alot of money needs to be spent for a campaign like this to effectively reach targeted segments. The campaign though is perfect to receive all the attention from the Media & the likes.

DC's campaign doesn't suck. I just like to see a great deal of creativity in a campaign; thus my reason for favoring Metros vs DC in campaign choice.

10. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Are you feeling okay? ;)

MPF got a hold of you!?! :D

11. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    What are u, a reporter? LOL! You all should know that I will always favor DC United players over Metros (though I got a Moreno Jersey which I dont plan on ever wearing). I'm one of few people who can sing a chant an entire game. Trust me, I've lost my voice too many times to ever bail out on DC.

MKTG department needs work though. The campaign their using sounds nice, but the work theyve done through out the past few years is simply bad. Can't be over looked; thinking way too short term.

12. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    Breaking News

This just in:

MetroStars to offer massive, free MPF testing

The Meadowlands (Reuters) – The MetroStars will launch a massive, free MPF testing program to find and hopefully help hundreds of people unaware they have the virus, MLS announced on Thursday.

The tests are meant to identify people who are MPF positive, many of whom do not know or ignore the fact that they have the virus that causes MPF.

"Some 400 people in NJ don't know about their situation," said coach Bob Bradley. "As well as not treating themselves, they put other people's health at risk."

Using slogans like "Metal Mike Says Get Tested!" and "If you had sex with Richie Williams, take the MPF test," MetroStars will roll out the test campaign this weekend on stupid red hats and on posters and stickers plastered across Paramus Mall.

One poster will show people trying to carry Clint Mathis through a crowd, symbolizing the doubt on their minds.

"Get that weight off your mind," says the poster.

13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this were long-term, I might agree. But the main goal of this is just to get butts in the seats for this particular playoff game. I take personal touch over creativity any time.

By looking at their board, their only media reach has been guerilla style stuff, albeit on Today and Cold Pizza. But it seems like they have focused on MPF instead of the basics of "We're the local soccer team. Come and see us play."

I think getting too creative for a short-term blitz can hurt you. Especially if you don't get the right people to deliver it.

DCU has guys on multiple radio interviews, the coach on local TV and ads in the Post. The Mutts have some online Photoshopped mages and marketing staff (not players) getting a few seconds on TV.

I'll take our strategy any day of the week.

14. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    When I think Guerilla, I think of Apostles gone bad for not being taken seriously.

NY/NJ is doing stuff that grabs attention. You make it sound like we have a choice on who can deliver a message successfully. I like to think they've used examples that have a isomorphic effect.

I don't know how DC is doing, but so far it sounds like their doing whats expected of them. I just think it's boring stuff. Not bad, but typical.

Personal touch? Who are they getting to promote at these local tv channels? ARe they people that people will actually listen to or just tune out (as is the case with most ads out there). The general public does not know Diablo, Stoichkov, Olsen, Convey, Hudson etc etc... People will listen to a worthy messenger.

15. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Dude, I can't believe you think MPF is a good ad campaign.

[Shatner voice] You...cannot...be...serious! [/Shatner voice]

With the possible exceptions of the rest of the league's 1996 uniforms, Rapidman, and KC's "The Zard" (RIP), this is the worst, most feeble, embarrasing, half-assed attempt at a promotional ploy in the sad history of league promotional ploys.

Never before has a campaign rained such utter embarrasment down upon a club's supporters. Metro supporters are (justifiably) humiliated by this.

I mean, I'm all for your right to think what you want, I just can't believe you think a bunch of hackneyed, amatuer photoshop renderings of puppies with hats, two of the most pathetic songs ever recorded, and a cartoon turkey wearing a team jersey are something to be jealous of. And the Lisi/Woly photo...dear God, man!

Personally, I haven't laughed out loud this much at work...ever!

16. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    A lot of the commentary seems to consist of "DC's marketing involves radio and TV appearances and all the Metros have is this dumb hat/photo thing".

Does anyone posting here actually live in the Metros market? Do we know that they *aren't* doing TV and radio as well? Not meaning to be sarky, just an honest question.

Frankly, this reminds me of the whole "Etch wig" campaign that went around a couple of years back, though I think that may just have been a Screaming Eagles thing rather then a team-sponsored campaign. And this compares favourably with that; people always love freebies, even stupid little red hats, if it makes them feel "part of the experience" (look at all the people who will wear stupid little green plastic hats on St Paddy's Day).

And the dogs... the picture of the dogs... priceless. I'm still chuckling...

17. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Can we please just get back to laughing at MPF you boring bastards :D

18. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DONAH DUNAH DUNAH

MPF!

DUNAH DUNAH DUNAH

MetroStars!

This is just too funny. Who is Metal Mike anyway?

19. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes. Yes.

And Metal Mike is a friend of the guy in charge of MPF.

20. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    I've GOT to get me one of those red hats. :D

21. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From someone who is living this: "Yes, MPF has gotten a lot of exposure. Unfortunately no one knows what the heck it stands for. And when the hear what it stands for, and by chance venture onto the team website, they are greated by Metal Mike and what appears to be a Terry Gilliam animation of huge dogs popping out of a stadium.

Yes, getting people's attention is important. What's more important is getting a message across. Marketing 101, isn't it? What message are people supposed to be getting when they hear about MPF? I bet 90% of the audience doesn't even know what the hell it stands for."

If this stuff went beyond metrostars.com, maybe. But that isn't the case. Go read the Metros forum and educate yurself about the width and breadth of this "marketing effort."

1. They aren't ads. How many times do I have to say that befor eyou figure it out. These are radio and TV interviews, most notably with Petke and Hudson who have done this all season. So people do know who they are on the outlets they are speaking.

2. If you really think some photoshopped images delivered by people who won't play the game are better than people who will play the game speaking directly to fans through the local media (interviews, not ads), I guess it's living proof that PT Barnum was a frigging genius.

Read the Metros board. They question the targeting just as much as I do, if not more.

22. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Just as a point as to which marketing campaign worked better, United's or Metros, here are the attendance figures for last night's games:

DCU
    Average for league games: 15,583
    Last night: 15,202
    Percentage: 97.5%

Metros:
    Average for league games: 15,803
    Last night: 10,211
    Percentage: 64.6%

Basically, United got nearly all of its core fan base to show up last night, whereas MPF apparently had the New York metropolitan area quarantined.

23. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    :D

24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what the NY Sports Express (whatever that is) had to say:
    http://www.nysportsexpress.com/1/22/departments/soccer2.cfm

Rev edit: activated the link.

25. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Great article about the debacle that is MPF and the Metroscum.

[Nelson Muntz voice]
    HA HA[/Nelson Muntz voice]

At least our playoff loss came without an embarrassing media campaign!