Help!!!!! MPF!!!!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sachin, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

DCPF Don't be a dickhead!

2. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    :D

3. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    NEWEST MPF UNVEILED:

Well it was bound to happen... they have sent up NEW ones. Personally I think this is the best one yet! :D

[​IMG]

4. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    oh *#*#*#*#, i played that *#*#*#*#ing song while smoking a waterpipe and blew the water all over my lap (hell i might of pissed my pants i laughted so hard). what the hell is that?

everytime i think we are getting close to a real rivalry they do something really stupid like this. to quote jon forte "jesus christ, what a moron".

5. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    Re: Trivia Question:

you should've put in jimmy hoffa, at least he is attending a playoff game ;)

6. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    And Another...

Ok this ones just tasteless... I could take Metal Mike, but "Iron Joe"? The Metros front office just is asking for it now. Although I suppsoe they are just marketing to their Communist fan club...

[​IMG]

8. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Southpark's Newest Character?

Leave it to the league and the Metrostars to get the big cash to throw at celebrity endorsements. This just isn't fair.

[​IMG]

9. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Re: Southpark's Newest Character?

Look at the demographics. A product has to first make it in NY before anyplace else. Once New York catches on, then the rest of the country tends to follow, that is, ON AVERAGE!

This is pure brilliant, but something that would only work once for the same product, or could be used again but many years down the road (mabey).

Great stuff. We need to a banner to call for the head of our mktg directer.

10. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Re: Re: Southpark's Newest Character?

Oh Jesus... Whoaa! MAddog those last few ones were just jokes! We aren't serious!! NO ONE (EXCEPT THE METROS) should be cursed with that crap. :D

11. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Re: Re: Re: Southpark's Newest Character?

I think it's brilliant. Do I think such a campaign would work here in DC? I dont know; focus group is needed to see what letters actually stick to peoples heads, etc.

DC needs to advertise to the general public, something they have yet to do effectively. They should have come out with something on Monday morning, right after they qualified for the play offs, but they didnt. The current advertising is nothing new compared to what they've always done. When play offs are here, there needs to be a campaign, a new campaign. We need a new campaign like we need a new MKTG directer.

12. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Your missing the greater point. The Metro's are currently the laughing stock of the league. (And in this league that's saying something...)

13. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    they do have a campaign, built around the BACK in the playoffs theme. they launched it monday and tuesday had a BACKyard barbaque at a fans house which was featured on news reports on tv and radio. the george michael interview with ray was from that promotion. they have some other things with the BACK thing going on.

they have quite an impressive number of interviews, appearances, etc. going on this week.
    they had a phone campaign that is reaching a lot of people.

they have also had a very aggressive (and i hear successful) direct marketing campaign--which is rightly where they ought to put their efforts, not fooling around with stupid sound clips and logos.

14. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Like Red & Black said, United IS promoting the heck out of this match. Like I said earlier, I have heard all sorts of people at work talk about checking this one out. That's folks that have never been to a match.

15. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    I've heard nothing other then some free tickets on FM Radio stations.

Then again, I live in Baltimore.

16. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i know for a fact sales people were working sunday morning on this game. they really have put a buttload of effort into this. my guess is they are rewarded well. several people i know got the mike petke call as i did. they even tied their community appearance to the theme stressing the BACK to the community theme.

17. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Print ads, Hudson on TV, radio ads, Mike Petke leaving me pre-recorded messages, and I'm sure there will be radio stuff tomorrow.

18. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    You should thank God you don't live in the MPF area!

19. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

It's comin' right for us!

20. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    "BACK to play offs" and all these interviews. Nice, but Metro's is still better.

I guess those dudes are finally targeting a different crowd for once. POR FIN!

If the dude finally decided to target a different segment, great! But the fact that he took this long to do so is sad.

But come on people, it's the play offs. As a Marketing director, something has to be done. He isn't that clueless. Targeting the Majority is a given during the playoffs; a no brainer. I'm sure he's going to go back to targeting the usuals after the play offs.

21. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    I was beginning to think the same thing last night. Sure, it's corny (ok, stupid). But publicity is publicity. Flood the 'market' with anything. Target not only your hardcore fans, your 'middle of the road fans', but new fans. I guess the attendence figures will be the proof, one way or another.

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hysterical. Genius.

23. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More diagnosed with MPF

Three sad wives visit their husbands who, diagnosed with MPF, are now quarantined.

[​IMG]

24. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please tell me you don't work in marketing. Lie if you have to.

DC's plan isn't perfect, but it's good - local radio and TV, reaching out to the fans via the BBQ, pre-game party for people who renew.

This is amateur. Photoshopping pictures - as shown - can be done by anyone. Unless they are posting these all over major traffic areas in the region, this is a waste of effort. And if they are pasting them in major traffic areas, it could be a waste of money.

No personal touch, just bad jokes.

25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    South Park characters could NEVER get MPF - maybe they would suffer from RPF (Rapids Playoff Fever), a possibly more lengthy fever lasting into the second or final round. MPF should be cured by the first week in November ;-)
    Me, I'm just fired up and nervous, I'll be at RFK in about 30 hours or so .......