help me write a MASSIVE article

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by keeper1031, Oct 1, 2008.

1. keeper1031

keeper1031 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Cbus ohio
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    alright so i write for my high school newspaper. I finally got premission to write a story on the crew and the massive season we've been having.
    I need to localize this to my highschool, and i was thinking something along the lines of following my friends from pre-game into the nordeck, and the atmosphere etc of the game.

any other ideas, or help would be greatly appreciated.

The issue will be published oct. 31

2. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a start.

Sounds like Crewfighter is the chief fan documenter of the season. I think he has a few other guys like jericho, hsh_b, et al contributing to his site.http://www.crewonespot.blogspot.com/

I know The Ultra also has a bunch of great photos as well.
    http://www.thecolumbusultra.blogspot.com/

The crew union also has kaiser kraut doing Terrace Talk.
    http://www.crewunion.com/alpha/

These would be good places to start if you're looking at capturing "the fan experience"

3. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

If you're going to 'localize', then actual game analysis, and for that matter team conversation, should be kept at a minimum. Give a very short synopsis, no more than a couple brief paragraphs at the start, explaining that, basically, the Crew sucked for a few years, but are great now, and the fans have gotten really involved.

Work in a few 'characters' you meet along the way. Get a couple out-of-the-way quotes or interviews (talk with a vendor and find out how much business has improved this year, or something like that -- it's high school, so not a beer vendor).

Here's a ridiculously excellent Sirk article about watching on television the away match @ DC near the end of the 2003 season. While the article is about the game, it's really about the people watching and how it effected them.

Two things -- don't include profanity or BLEEP like Sirk, because he writes for grown-ups, and don't include any phrases such as “I’d have to get another look, but I think I’d give Aly Wagner a go.”

Good luck. We'll all expect a full report.

4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try to explain what MASSIVE is all about as well.

And use capitalization.

And paragraphs. ;)

BTW, might want to mention we haven't always sucked: Friedel, McBride, Dooley, John, Maisonnueve, Warzycha, Fraser, Perez, etc.

5. keeper1031

keeper1031 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Cbus ohio
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok here is my new idea.
    I am thinking of doing a first person perspective on the nordecke experience from a "new fan" angle.

so i am wondering if someone could "adopt" me for the DC game and take me around pre-game and during the game. I do know the songs and have sat in the nordecke so i wouldnt be holding anyone back.

6. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    And English teachers love to take points away from a well written article so don't give them a reason. OU's well written response had a better effect on you although it affected others differently.

7. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You could also talk about how the Nordecke "effect" affects people and gets them singing, which can certainly be effective in changing the general affect of the players during the match.

8. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well my suggestion would be finding someone in the Union to "adopt" you since I don't think a high school paper would be to thrilled with the idea of kids being encouraged to go chill at a bar before the match

9. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As TheUltra suggested a bar probably isn't the best begining to your high school piece. You're more than welcome to stop by our tailgate if that's the route you choose. La Turbina is planning on tailgating with/near us for the match, so it'd give you a chance to talk to some of those guys too. I probably can't help ya out the whole night cause I'll be running around, but I can introduce you to a few people that would be good to hang out with.

10. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Damn. Just damn.

I don't think you know how embarrassed I am by that.

11. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I nearly neg repped you for it! :rolleyes:

12. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget to get your we're, were and where's right.

13. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
  14. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make sure to have Crewfighter give the "their, they're, there" lesson. :D

15. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    We could do you're and your or it's and its, but that's apparently like teaching Chinese to dogs - they'll listen, but it just doesn't take.

16. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    [​IMG]

Would anyone like to diagram some sentences with me at the tailgate?:rolleyes:

17. keeper1031

keeper1031 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Cbus ohio
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok the game is a week away, i was wondering if someone from the crew union would allow me to follow them around the tailgate for a little bit. once i have the first person established i should be able to make my way around fine.
    please PM me or email me, soccerjo83(at)aol.com if you could be that person.

18. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    talk to mike......

19. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw your PM to me, you'll be fine to follow myself, mike and/or kevin around. I'll shoot you an email tomorrow.