Help me out here...

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by laurent garnier, Aug 24, 2002.

1. laurent garnier

laurent garnier New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Singapore
    You make the great Cha sound like some Messiah who went round helping the poor clubs gain some respectability!

Its a different time and a different place now and I think if Ono played his cards right, he will surely want to play for a bigger team and I do believe European teams have realised, especially after the Inamoto saga at Arsenal, that shirts won't sell if the players don't get enough match play.

2. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Laruent,

Nothing in Korea gets done right until the last minute. Perhaps we shall wait another year to see more fellow Koreans kicking through the walls of Europe. As of now, I just hope the fiscal Ahn Jung-hwan crisis come to a happy ending. Surely discouraging for younger Koreans that want to become a "big-leaguer".

3. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    we're a bit insecure right? yep yep. that's cause china played so well during the world cup.

trust me.... chinese media is the msot insecure media when it comes to soccer. I might be a bit biased here but althought most world media (except for italy and spain) said Korea played good football, chinese media kept on korea bashing. Then after a while, HongKong media had to step up and chinese media bash.

are we insecure? we just don't like to be taken lightly even if it some trolls trolling.

4. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    I think he's kinda saying even comparing Ono to Cha is disgraceful. Cha..well..lets just say he tore the Bundesliga up in the 80's.

5. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    been there, done that.

Daewoo sponsored Perugia when Ahn first went to Perugia.

Didn't work.

Money talks. As soon as Korean fans buy millions of t-shirts, the EU clubs will take YOUTH players from Korea.

But then again, there's another problem that let's say Samsung(the example you gave)-owned teams like Suwon FC won't let their players go.

Most of the K-League teams are backed by big companies. 9 out of 10 are like that. So the teams don't care about making money off of selling players. They just care about more people coming to their games chanting "Suwon Samsung!!"

to make people come to their games, they can't let go their star players to Europe.

Nam-il Kim, Young-pyo Lee, Chunsoo Lee, Jisung Park, Tae-wook Choi are all like that. They can't leave.

6. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    you do have to admit that Leverkusen was more like mid-teams in the Bundesliga when he first went there. Leverkusen wasn't like today's Leverkusen back then. Feyenoord, on the other hand, was a fairly respected team in Europe and one of the best in the Dutch league.

STILL Inamoto's shirts were sold FAR more than all the Korean players' shirts combined. That's why Inamoto was ridiculed by some Arsenal fans as the "t-shirt" as he couldn't play but sell shirts to Japan.

Money talks.

Arsenal doesn't regret anything. They've accomplished their mission; sell jersies.

For a side note, Chong-gug Song could have easily gone to Arsenal if he wanted to. But Arsenal didn't have enough money which Busan FC asked for.

Wenger specifically said that it's too bad Arsenal couldn't take Song because of they lacked the transfer fee. However, Wenger said he'll keep an eye on Song to take him next year or as soon as possible.

Song went to Feyenoord.

7. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    I don't know where you get your news from, but when I go to Chinese news sites like Sina, AppleDaily, SingTao, etc., I've heard nothing but praises with regards to the Korean NT. I don't know why you said Chinese media were Korean bashing.

8. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    There was a footage of CCTV (I'm assuming its a big broadcasting company..I think..is it..?) saying that Korea's miraculous run was aided by the refs and it was aired here in Korea too. I guess about 90% of the Korean fans felt betrayal.

9. casualfan

casualfan New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    CCTV - CLOSED CIRCUIT TELEVISION. hahah j/k CCTV is the main tv station in the mainland. and why would Korean fans feel betrayed? i thought they couldn't care less what the Chinese think.

10. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    CCTV stands for China Central TeleVision. It is the state-owned national TV network. As for their comments on Korea's success. That has been a topic of conversation all over the soccer world, not just in China.

11. i agree

12. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    conversation all over the world was that korea worked hard and also got lucky. As far as I know, Chinese media put more emphasis on the "bribery" part.

13. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    What was unique about that (few.. yet major) Chinese tv commentators was that they portrayed as if Guam could have pulled off the same result as Korea. They gave absolutely no credit to Korea despite Korea dominating their opponents in both shots taken and the ball possession.

...and the most famous one was the Chinese commentator weeping in agony as Portugal lost to Korea. Just..WHY? (I don't get the weeping part)

14. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Korea worked hard, I will grant you that. However, a couple of corrected offside calls and they do not make the semi's. Part of the game to be sure and I think Koreans should be proud of their time. However, some of the rhetoric coming from the Koreans is making me sick. I am proud of how the US team did, but I am not behaving in a manner as SOME Koreans in here are.

As to the bribery allegations, I follow Chinese news sources and while I don't get CCTV (because I don't have a satellite dish), I do read their website rather regularly to practice reading Chinese and I didn't see any of this on that site.

15. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    you should also understand that many Korean fans in this particular site are now at a stage where they are fed up with "other" sick people saying that Korea got to semis ONLY through the downright bribary(which they cannot prove but they continue to allege anyways).

What really makes me sick personally is that some people here don't mention other "bribaries" such as the Korea-Germany game being reffed by a German descent and the fact that all the refs came from UEFA(at a game between UEFA vs AFC!). They somehow selectively forgets those and hang on to the ones which Korea won.

So maybe some people who are saying that Korea went to the semis through bribary are right afterall since if it weren't for the "bribary," Korea would have gone to the finals. ;)

16. kc123

kc123 Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Which Chinese commentator are you talking about? The one from CCTV? Maybe that particular commentator himself is a big Portuguese fan and he didn't want to see Portugal go home so fast. I don't believe any announcer who stupid enough to say Guam could do the same as Korea. Where did you get the source?

17. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    I didn't say the commentator said "Guam could do the same as Korea."

I just used that term since that's what (again, a small number of those commentators) they were basically alluding to.

And yes, that particular guy was Portugal's b*+ch. The Korean article that collaged such reactions from China did mention that there are a LOT of Chinese(even commentators) who are avid fanatics of European football.(too much to an extent where they LOVE those teams whole-hearted)

18. SmokingMan

SmokingMan New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    A Dark Smoke-Filled
    I hope that isnt the conclusion you drew from my comments earlier.

I thought that Korea was extremely fortunate to get some calls from referees which were CLEARLY incorrect calls. I have watched the replay of the Italy offsides call and the Spain cross from the end line dozens of times, as have millions of other people around the world. I think the consensus opinion of almost everyone (at least outside Korea) is that the calls were incorrect.

On that basis, if a korean were to brag that "we are better than Italy or Spain", I think virtually every football fan (once again, excluding people in Korea) would be to laugh in your face.

Dont get me wrong. I thought Korea performed very well in the World Cup. You should be proud of your performance. But the simple fact is, Korea got to the semifinal as a direct result of some bad refereeing calls. That is not the same thing as saying they bribed the referee. Every World Cup has some contreversial calls. This was just one example. OK, I could understand why you might get angry for accusing you of bribery.

I may have misworded my comments, but what I wanted to say was just that Korea got to the semifinals due to bad referee decisions. I think it is rather annoying that Koreans are now trying to brag that they are the fourth best team in the world (or for that matter, the best team in Asia) based on results that were clearly affected by referees decisions. Just be happy with the result you got, and other people will be happy for you. But why do you have to brag, and put down everyone else?? That is childish.

If a person cant even post a message that is even mildly critical of Korea (even one based on solid facts), without a dozen members of the Korean mafia accusing you of being an imposter, or attacking your character, well, lets just say that its no surprise to me that so many people have sent me messages telling me to "ignore the Koreans, they are just insecure and rude".

19. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    can you give me offside calls that was called wrong? (other than Tomassi's offside call in overtime-BTW This wasnt wrong call, just close call)

20. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    ok since evreyone else is beating the dead horse, let me have turn at it

korea had just as many bad calls against it
    -Yoo's goal disallowed against poland
    -Seol's goal disallowed against Portugal, when the goalkeeper feigned injury following minimal contact with Choi j.c.
    -Nam-il Kim getting a card for a Portuguese dive (even the american commentators were sneering at this)
    -Vieri's elbow on Kim breaking his nose
    -Vieri trying to undercut J.C. Choi almost breaking Choi's neck if he landed perfectly headfirst (thankfully he hit at an angle)
    -Totti's elbow on Park poking his eyes at a deadball situation while the ref wasn't looking
    -Totti's simulated poking of the eyes (quite comical)
    -Spanish player with a high challenge on Kim Nam-il taking Kim out of the Cup
    -Ahn's disallowed goal against Turkey

and so on and so forth

21. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    CCTV had 2 commentators,
    Liu JienHong (midaged male) and sien bing(female in late20~30)

Before Korea-Poland match, they predicted Poland win, and gave tons of props to Poland like they were first european team to qualify etc..
    and emphasised Korea tied against China right before worldcup at home..
    after Korea beat them 2-0, they said finally they got a win... it was result of intention than talent. (weird thing was, they praised Japan alot in Korea-Poland match)

Before Korea-USA match, they predicted USA win cuz they beat Portugal in their first match.
    After korea tied with USA. Liu said "ahn probably didnt even know he scored, cuz it was all luck"
    and that was only 'compliment' for Korea NT from Liu.
    he began praising US team till the end like it wasn't luck US beat Portugal, but they were kinda overconfident, so they allowed tying goal. judge was taking Korea NT side, penalty kick for Korea was very questionable.. etc..

Before Korea-Portugal match, Liu asked a question to Chang Lu (soccer expert) "who do you think will win?"
    Chang Lu answered "you cant compare levels between asia and euroepe"
    Sien Bing "then what will happened to that huge korean crowds?" (chuckling)

after Korea beat Portugal 1-0, anyone could see those commentator's feelings, it was on their face.
    They talked like ... how could things like this can happen.. 2 portuguese players got HongPai (redcard) and they dont want to see a game like this never again..... and other craps like about judge taking 1 side, alot of sympathy for portugese team and players.

Before Korea-Italy match, those commentators were MAD. yep MAD.
    They said they want to see a fair match, and commenting korea bribing judges (not directly but indirectly)
    when Italy scored, they cheered, praising how beautiful goal that was.. (it was just a header from coner kick)
    in 2nd half, they were very relaxed, it was obvious Italy was gonna win for sure. they began talking about quarter final match between Spain and Italy. (game wasnt even OVER)
    on 88th minutes Seol scored tying goal, I never heard any single compliment for his goal. not even a word. it was all italian defender's fault and it was a gift.

After Korea beat Italy on ahn's golden goal.
    Sien Bing cried right infront of TV, saying she has many italian friends and this cant be happening. Korea couldnt win but with refs help they won etc... Liu didnt say much about it cuz he didnt have to, Sien Big was doing it all.
    only compliment for Korea NT was "they were trying to play hard" "their stamina is ok but their skill isnt even comparable"

After Korea lost to Germany 1-0..
    I never saw Sien Bing cheering and smiling like that when She was commentating for any korea matches.
    Sieng Bing asked Liu "how did German beat Korea while other european teams failed?"
    Liu answered "isnt this difference of talent? this match's referee was clean and and fair" (its same judge who officiated Korea-USA match MORON)
    then he comment about Germany "Germany is advancing to final cuz they are lucky team. Germany only faced 2nd-tire teams in WC, and actually Germany isnt 1st level team in europe"
    at the end he said "I was very anxious during this match even tho it doesnt have any relation with us"

22. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    I think we should not care about what other people say too much. We know we are the true champion of the Cup. That is all that matters.

23. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    First of all, we aren't the fourth best team in the world. we are THE best team in the universe.

You korea bash all you want and then look at you... you seem all so innocent, as if you said nothing wrong with korea. i don't think i can attack your character. You are simply stupid. Why are you complaining that you are being accused of whatever you are? Aren't you accusing Korean soccer for bribery as you clearly did on your early post? Don't change words on me. I can go back and quote it right out.

why don't you try starting a thread that's mildly critical of US? Mike sergroves would do your mama 2000 times before you'd know it. we just one won more match than they did. I never said US's run was lucky. they worked hard and deserved it. I can say this even after all the crap talk we had with the americans before the WC.

and you sure don't get media where you live. The WORLD hailed Korean victory over Italy as a fair result, where attacking soccer beat cynical play defense all the time soccer. Totti was the most criticized player in Italy for diving so much.

24. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    Someday in the near future I firmly believe Korea will win the World Cup. Before China or Japan or any other team in Asia. This is my firm belief. We are still living that dream. World Cup taught many Koreans and myself to love and enjoy soccer. K-League is enjoying boom like no other time before, and slowly we are moving towards right direction. Don't worry too much about stupid people's comments.

25. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan

First of all. I hope you don't think I am among those who have accused Korea of bribery. I certainly have not done so. I have said that they were the beneficiary of some questionable calls, but did they bribe someone to get them? I doubt it.

There were some questionable official assignments all throughout the World Cup. A Mexican ref for a France-Uruguay match rather ticked me off.

I wouldn't go that far. Korea were outplayed in the semifinals, and arguably in the quarters. That they got as far as they did speaks well for their effort and their ability to take advantage of opportunities that were presented to them. I have made no allegations of bribery and will make no such allegations. However, I stand by my assertion that they benefited from some questionable calls. However, that is part of the game (as I have said earlier).