Help hooking up TV/VCR/DVD/SAT

Discussion in 'Technology' started by metrocorazon, Oct 24, 2004.

1. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    I just got a new TV and a new VCR/DVD combo, but since my old stuff was from the 80's/90's I am at a lost as to what exactly S-Video, and Component Video is.

Right now I have them hooked up through good ole coaxial cables. But Im wondering if it would make a difference to use the other options.

IF youre wondering here is what I have:
    PAnasonic DVD/VCR

TV

Oh yeah and I also have a Direct TV box that has RCA and S-Video outputs.

2. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    S-video is a single plug connection. It has a round plug with four pins and a "tooth" to make sure you put it the right way round.

Component video is a 3 plug connection, normally 3 RCA (aka phono) plugs.

In terms of quality, you can rank them in this order, best first:

1. Component
    2. S-Video
    3. Composite
    4. Aerial

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    If you use S-Video, you may need to provide audio via separate cables, such as digital audio cable or those red, yellow white cables (and leave the video cable unconnected). S-video is only for the picture while the coaxial cables you are using carry audio and video.

S-Video does have a noticeably better picture.

4. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Use component video for the DVD player, and S-Video for everything else. You don't need super-special cables for component video - a good-quality 75-ohm coaxial cable will do. In both cases, they are video-only setups, so your audio connections will have to be made separately (as mentioned by dark knight).

5. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Thanks guys, Im gunna head to RadioShack during lunch today to get the appropriate cables. Hopefully the picture will improve, althought its pretty good right now.