Help Devon Raise $$ For Digestive Diseases

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Blancanieva, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Blancanieva

Blancanieva New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Alexandria
  2. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to share that this, like many others, is a not well known but really good cause. For anyone it can really impair their life in ways many of us take for granted.

I coached a girl who had just come back to playing soccer from a long course of treatment and she was a great player, a fighter. When I heard about Mctavish, I sent her the article and she was so inspired by him that she's now getting really involved with these efforts and wants to go games as much as she can. To see that kind of attitude change from the point where she couldn't play, was inspiring to me.

So I encourage you to try to get involved in some fashion with these efforts, as it's definitely an under the radar cause.

Speaking of which, does anyone know why there doesn't appear to be anyway to send fan email to individual DC United players on the new (or old) website? Seems like a pretty basic function of the roster page to me.

3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can personally attest to how debilitating this disease can be, it runs (so to speak) in my family. My mom has had to have a few surgeries because of it.

4. emanon

emanon Member

Aug 17, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Not email, but from http://www.dcunited.com/community/fan-mail

Our players enjoying receiving messages from our fans, but their busy schedules often limit their ability to respond so please take note of these guidelines:

• Due to the large volume of requests received, fans should not expect an immediate reply or a specific item in return.
    • We will do our best to accommodate all requests; however, requests for specific players' autographs may not be honored, and it is advised that fans not send in items to be signed. These items may not be returned. (See below for the best way to obtain an autograph.)
    • Fans who send fan mail to the attention of a specific player may not receive a response in a timely manner, if at all. Fans should not call regarding fan mail, either to request a response or to follow up.
    Send messages to:
    D.C. United
    RFK Stadium
    2400 East Capitol Street, S.E.
    Washington, D.C. 20003
    Attention: [the player's name] or Fan Mail​

5. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed that, but I remember seeing that a long time ago. It's not worth the postage or the tree-killen paper to send snail mail.

I guess my point is I don't understand how hard it could be to set up emails for each player on the roster, use decent filters and an intern to sift through them, and then forward or print them for players to take a look at if they get the urge. Or the intern could bring certain ones to their attention. Doesn't seem like it would be very time or cost consuming.

I can understand the limitations involved, but it would be a step up from postage.