Helmut Jahn to design Fire stadium complex (ok, not really)

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by HalaMadrid, Sep 11, 2003.

1. FireFan1

FireFan1 New Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Des Moines, IA
    I would like to say that my school, Grinnell College, just had their new athletic complex designed by Cesar Pelli and Associates.

Design:
    http://www.grinnell.edu/campusplan/athleticfacilities/photos/

Article:
    September 5, 2003

Grinnell College adopts plans for new athletic facility

GRINNELL, Iowa - Plans for construction for the first phase of a new athletic center at Grinnell College have been approved by the Grinnell College board of trustees, with ground-breaking for construction expected in early October.

"The design is functional, exciting, impressive," praised Dee Fairchild, director of athletics.

Designed by the architectural firms, Cesar Pelli & Associates and Sasaki Associates, the facility will be located southeast of Rosenbloom Field, but north of Tenth Avenue.

"Our goal is to serve the athletic, wellness, and recreation needs of our students, faculty, staff, and a number of people in the local community," said Russell K. Osgood, president of Grinnell College. "The new athletic center, as designed by Cesar Pelli and Sasaki Associates, will greatly improve our ability to meet these needs and will enhance both the College and the Grinnell community."

Phase-one of the facility, with a cost of approximately $20 million, will include a basketball/volleyball performance gymnasium, a fitness/weight center, an auxiliary gym, and a support/locker area. Estimated completion of the first phase is early in 2005.

The article goes on, but you get the picture.

2. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Only Architect for the Job!

Mike Brady will come up with a real swell design!

I tried to post a photo, but couldn't figure out how to import it into the post. Imagine amongst yourselves.

3. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The Only Architect for the Job!

I think it would look a little something like this
    [​IMG]

4. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago

Just remember that Lohan's only the Chicago liaison. The primary architects are New York based (that, or Blair's just trying to keep Chicago based architects blameless).
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/featu...ep07,1,1909537.story?coll=chi-leisurearts-hed

Misread, but I can see where you could think I was implying that. No, what I think is that Jahn was trying to make the new dorms fit into the Mies designed campus, and trying to inject some life, form, and motion without making the buildings stick out like a sore thumb. I think he did his job very well.

I've often wondered if it wouldn't be a good idea to hold a contest for the stadium design. Submit it to IIT, Univ of Wisconsin, and a few other architecture schools, and see if some of the schools can come up with something exciting. It could be a cheap way to go, we could get some really great ideas, and it could boost some school's image.

5. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hehe, I like Mies, but a stadium needs a soul... ;)
    Hear, hear! I just want something where if the ball leaves the field at "a high rate of speed" (bad grammer there, btw), the first row won't have time to react, and an overhanging roof so all the opposing team can hear is the best fans in mls...

6. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    If you think that money is coming from the same pot, you're dreaming.

7. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I'm well aware Wood+Zapata are the architects of the stadium itself (and they are Boston-based) and Lohan is the keeper of the Burnham Park master plan.

But to hear Lohan speak, and Kamin react to him you'd think Lohan is the Lakefront Antichrist :rolleyes:

My thoughts EXACTLY.

8. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Bumping.

Cause, I dunno. Funny feeling in my stomach today.

9. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Or those ChiliDogs for lunch...

10. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    Actually I have it on good authority that a Spanish architect is considering submitting a design.

11. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    [​IMG]

Maybe they found him the same place they found Joe Gibbs.

12. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    In all seriousness, maybe Santiago Calatrava?

Maybe a bit high-end but he DID design the Milwaukee Art Museum (midwest connection) and designed at least the main stadium for the 2006 Athens games (sports/soccer connection). And he is, indeed, world renowned for his (take cover, incoming bad joke) bridge-building.

Only other possibility that comes to mind is maybe Jose Rafael Moreno who is a Pritzker winner and has a lot of American work, but it's all in the academic/museum arena though...no athletics.

Now, he's not Spanish, but Ricardo Legorretta would be....interesting :)

13. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this would be an obvious one. Ricardo Bofill. He's spanish (Catalan to be exact). He's also the designer of the R.R. Donelly Center. So he's designed for Chicago before. On top of that, he recently designed Zaragoza'a new soccer stadium. I happen to be a Bofill fan.

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I wonder what Peter Wilt would think of a Fire-equivalent of the following:

Primary Tenant: SV Wüstenrot Salzburg
    Facility: Stadion Salzburg Wals – Siezenheim
    Opening Game: March 8, 2003
    Total Facility Cost: $57.3 million
    Capacity: 18,686 (13,444 regular seats, 4,084 standing room places, 558 VIP club seats, 172 seats in total of 20 skyboxes/suites, 40 seats in press box, 34 wheelchair spaces). Designed to be expandable to 30,000.
    Parking: 2,500 spaces for cars, 800 spaces for buses.
    Architects: Schuster Architekten Düsseldorf (http://www.schusterarchitekten.de/)

Project Overview (In German): http://www.zement.at/downloads/Stadion_Salzburg_02_03.pdf

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More images here: http://www.stadionwelt.de/Stadionwe...dionlisten/Oesterreich/Salzburg_neu/Wals.html

And here: http://www.stadion.at/

Talk amongst yourselves.

The Magpie

15. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    well, i like it, for whatever that's worth (nothing).

16. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Seeing those stadium pictures made me realize that I really want a stadium.

17. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I can tell you that he won't like the roof. He has stated many times that the new home of the Fire will NOT have a roof over all four sides. It is a stunning stadium though. I'd be happy sticking with a 28k seat stadium and a full roof for ever (or at least the forseeable future), but the higher ups want to be able to expand big time, should the sport take off. It's their money, so it's not my call to make.

P.S. I really do love that stadium. It would put the HDC to Shame.

[​IMG]

PP.SS. That $57m price tag looks mighty nice, but you gotta figure something like that would cost about $90m in Chicago with the added amenities and...well...other stuff. They don't call it the windy city because of the weather;)

18. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Well, once, at least.

Please note that the stadium in question has a capacity of less than 19k, and a roof, and is designed to be expandable to 30k. Conclusion: roofs and expandability are not mutually exclusive.

19. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could swear he said it a few times. Maybe not all in this Forum.

AEG, are you listening?

20. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "Well, I can tell you that he won't like the roof..."

Won't like the roof, or can justify not having a roof? Big an important distinction my friend, and I should know.

The Magpie

21. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    That's a good possibility. He may have designed a new stadium for Zaragoza, though, but if he had it was never built. The Romareda is still their home.

I think he had one of the Stade de France finalist designs too that wasn't constructed as well.

Not personally a big fan of the Donnelly Center, but Bofill is a good guess.

23. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Re: Re: Some Interesting Stadiums...

I think that is the ideal size for the Firehouse. And it is a beautiful stadium.

24. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at my last apartment, I would be looking at the Donnelly Center every morning when I woke up. I guess I may have grown to love it, but I really think it is a beautiful building.