Hejduk to St. Gallen

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by olafgb, Aug 26, 2002.

1. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    New team for Hejduk?

http://feed.bundesliga.de/vereine/detail.php?id=35999

HEJDUK TO ST. GALLEN?

US national player Frankie Hejduk is close to a transfer to Swiss A-Nationalliga club FC St. Gallen. The 29 year old WC participant is expected to get a contract until the end of the season. Hejduk, whose contract with the Champions League finalist expires at the end of the season, isn't playing a role in the plans of Bayer-head coach Klaus Toppmöller.

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    kudos to frankie if this happens

can't say riding the bench most of the time (well, when he makes the bench) would be the most fun

3. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Some further feed of various sources:

"Hejduk was seen at the NLA game against Young Boys Bern. According to Bayer GM Ilja Kaenzig, who currently stays in St Gallen, the transfer will be completed this Monday."

"Frankie Hejduk is transferred to FC St. Gallen. 'Yes, that's true', confesses Bayer's head manager Reiner Calmund. The exact details aren't known yet. 'We aren't that far at the moment'. Later today we'll get these details."

St Gallen is on rank 6 after 9 games in the 12-team Nationalliga A in Switzerland

4. jamesf24

jamesf24 New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Brighton, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would rather have seen Frankie be loaned to MLS for the remainder of the season after the World Cup, but now the MLS season is too close to ending.

Is St.Gallen involved in any European competitions?

James

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i just hope they aren't thinking of using him on the left side :D

i imagine that this would be a free transfer, correct?

6. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    St Gallen finished 6th last season, so they won't be playing international this year.

The free transfer matter is probably what's belonging to the 'details not known yet'. The whole matter won't fail because of a transfer sum, but mabye Leverkusen wants a symbolic 50 to 150 K fee.

It's a very good move for Frankie if this really happens. Probably he could always return to MLS, but even in Switzerland he can earn significantly more than in the USA. A further season without playing time would have caused problems for him to find a new team (200 pro players in Germany are unemployed at the moment) and now he got the chance to prove his abilities and then maybe see what's possible on the market in summer. And also Switzerland surely isn't the worst place to live (though expensive).

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    do they carry similar eu card policies of other leagues? as in only so many non eu guys on a team

8. aliyuruk

aliyuruk New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    switzerland is not a member of the EU

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

i know, and that was not my question (although didn't they recently vote to join the eu)

my question was whether or not they would have a limit for non eu people (it would be rather obvious that switzerland natives would be exempt of this notion), therefore them not being an eu country is meaningless

10. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    Now we can call Frankie the Swiss Miss. Wait...he cut his hair. Too bad.

I think it's a good move for him if it goes through. He still earns more than he would in the US, I think. If they get a symbolic transfer fee, he still gets his cut. And it's the beginning of the season, rather than the end of MLS season.

Besides, it's not like he can return to playing for the Mutiny now, is it?

11. Aalborg

Aalborg New Member

May 2, 2002
    St. Gallen

It's a nice stadium and a nice town, but expensive. I saw the US play Switzerland there in 90, prior to the WC Italia. I still have nightmares about paying $7 for a beer at a local pub in town...

12. Brihodge

Brihodge New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Unterwegs
    I don't know how I feel about this, I like having Frankie so close to me, can't he just move to Alemannia? Well hope he gets the best for him.

13. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: St. Gallen

Never been to New York I see :)

From a quality of play standpoint, where would the Swiss league rate?

On par with MLS? better/Worse? If not MLS what league would it best be compared to? I do not follow the Swiss league at all.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: St. Gallen

Man, it must suck to pay $14 to get totally wasted.

heh heh heh...just a joke, man, just a joke

15. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Re: Re: St. Gallen

Rank 16 in Europe, but with better outlook for the future (starting from position 13 into this year's UEFA ranking). Close vicinity is Belgium on 12 and Ukraine on 14.

16. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Don't forget St. (Kevin) Gallen dumped Chelw*nk (Chel***************e), umm, the team that plays in Stamford Bridge, London, from the UEFA Cup 2 seasons ago...

17. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    New team for Hejduk?

er, come again?

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UN

Switzerland recently voted to join the UN. Equally irrelevant to your original post, I know.

19. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget MLS "washout" Shaun Bartlett went to Switzerland and did very well in the league. He then moved to Charlton in the EPL for around $2-3 million.

BTW, I've always felt Bartlett was a good player and should have been given another season (1998) with New Jersey MetroStars. He had 11 goals in 49 MLS games and 23 goals in 67 Swiss League games.

I'm not saying MLS is head-and-shoulders better than the Swiss league. What I'm saying is that they are probably even in the level of play. It's probably one league that MLS matches up well with from top to bottom.

I think Hejduk will do really well in the Swiss League (Vanney played decent in the French League). If he is a better player than he was in MLS, he shouldn't have problems. He will also be one of the better paid players in the league.

Since winning the League two seasons ago, St. Gallen have dropped a bit. But they are still one of the top 5-8 clubs in Switezerland.

20. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Where in the country is St. Gallen located?

21. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA
    I believe it is located on Lake Konstanz (source of the Rhein) in the NW of the country. I assume it would be the primarily German-speaking area of Switzerland.

22. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    No, St Gallen is in the east of Switzerland, close to the Austrian border (but German speaking is right).

23. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    I think it's near to the lake at Rorschach, where there is plenty of surfing, which is the real reason for the move.

[​IMG]

24. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA
    I made a typo. I meant NE, not NW. Sorry folks.

25. Geez. What a step down for Hejduk. MLS is generally regarded as a better league than the Swiss one. Why couldn't he find a team in the Netherlands, France, Portugal or even Austria?