Health Care Reform Part IV: The Trumpening

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Why don't you do this? Take Brummies insurance calculator and plug in some numbers for a fictitious dual income family. Start with a family income that is just above the income low enough for a subsidy, then decrease the income by half and see if might not make sense to not work. She was 62 at the time, so make both people 62.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I see is a bunch of crazy people arguing with themselves. It's hilarious.

Apparently Garfield is still arguing that his imaginary friend made a smart decision by retiring.

Anyone arguing with Garfield is getting trolled. Again, it's hilarious.

dapip and rslfanboy repped this.
  3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    ???????????

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    We were discussing why ER usage had not dropped as promised. You seem to imply the chronic abusers are too lazy/stupid to apply for Obamacare.

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    So I plugged in some numbers... family income of $65,000 gets no subsidy. If one person stops working to reduce the family income by $20k they get $15,951 in subsidies. Seems to me like it might be worth not working, but what do I know, I am financially illiterate, right M?

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Always nice to see you too Dave. Do you ever have anything to add to the conversation? Guess not, but wishing you a Merry Christmas anyway.

7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    If they simply decrease income by $10k they actually make money by getting over $14k in subsidies. You want me to believe people won't alter their behavior.

8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Something tells me you're terrible at math.

9. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    No. I said addicts, homeless, and mentally handicapped.

In your world, does that equal lazy/stupid?

10. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    There are other options than the default, right, including using a high deductible plan as you recommended? I believe that was also pointed out to you as part of the original discussion.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    These are high deductible plans... I am surprised you did not know that. So thanks for that worthless advice.

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Family of 4, 2 parents around 60 in my zip code, making $65k

Estimated financial help: $1,340 per month ($16,085 per year)
    as a premium tax credit. This covers 74% of the monthly costs. Your cost for a silver plan: $472 per month ($5,660 per year)
    in premiums (which equals 8.71% of your household income). The most you have to pay for a silver plan: 8.71% of income for the second-lowest cost silver plan Without financial help, your silver plan would cost: $1,812 per month ($21,745 per year)

Results with an income of $40k:

Estimated financial help: $1,685 per month ($20,218 per year)
    as a premium tax credit. This covers 91% of the monthly costs. Your cost for a silver plan: $159 per month ($1,904 per year)
    in premiums (which equals 4.76% of your household income). The most you have to pay for a silver plan: 4.76% of income for the second-lowest cost silver plan Without financial help, your silver plan would cost: $1,843 per month ($22,121 per year)

IOW by cutting my income $25k I gain an extra $4k in subsidies. Not logical, if only Income and taxes are the criteria.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Let's see, decrease income by $10k and get over $14k in subsidies. Care to explain the math Einstein?

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    2 people in the household, please try to keep up.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 or 20?

16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Adjusted it to 2 people. You could lower your income from $65k (no subsidies) to $63k and get $12k in subsidies. Something tells me you are still under option c.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I plugged in both a decrease of $10k and $20k. The entire exercise was simply to prove that it might make sense to quit a job to get Obamacare subsidies. People were saying I was lying. Obviously I was not.

18. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    #193 M, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    When I plug those numbers into the Kaiser calculator it tells me it's a silver plan.

Btw, I do agree, like Bill Clinton, that having a cliff at 400% of FPL is foolish. Of course, it's easily fixable too.

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I don't care. I don't do their taxes and have no idea what their household income actually is, why can you not simply acknowledge you were wrong and it might make sense not work in certain circumstances?

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    A silver plan is a high deductible plan.

21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    So I guess no one wants to explain why emergency room usage is on the rise?

22. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Troll.

American Brummie repped this.
  23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Why is that trolling? It is a question very pertinent to the discussion.

24. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    It has already been answered. ER use is not going up. There was a chart. I will not respond further.

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    You claimed it was crackheads and the mentally ill. It is not that you won't respond, it is that you can't because you don't know the answer.