Health Care Reform Part IV: The Trumpening

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they aren't on Medicare, either too young or don't understand their options.

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    A version Medicare for all would take a lot of guesswork out of things. Some people who suspect they have Covid19 wont go to the dr. for fear of a $2K (or more) bill.

xtomx and dapip repped this.
  3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The correct term is "Corporate Death Panels".

HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  4. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Medicare for All is a complete bait-and-switch. What Bernie and Warren are proposing isn't Medicare as it is, it is single payer.

And anyone that thinks they have Covid19 and doesn't go to the doc is a moron.

superdave repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I repped this for the first half of the post.

The 2nd half...dude, you're not in touch with the real world. Some people are living paycheck to paycheck. Their house may not be worth much, but it's their lone source of wealth. They could lose their house if stuck with a $20,000 medical bill.

Such people may not be morons. They may be taking calculated risks.

sitruc, Pønch, Mike03 and 4 others repped this.
  6. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to state this periodically, but I work with disadvantaged people every day. Food banks, soup kitchens, free stores. These are the most disadvantaged people and are my "real world", my job is to find ways to get them assistance.

I can only speak for what is available in Ohio, I cannot make blanket statements about the system nationwide, but if you think you have the corona virus and do not seek treatment and live in Ohio you are a moron.

Every hospital system in Ohio has programs in place like the OhioHealth HCAP program that will literally let you walk from all of your out of pocket expenses if you qualify, which anyone within 200% of the poverty level will.

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Timing's bad, too-- for a lot of people winter already involves choices between food and fuel...

8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    How Uniquely American... Almost like working 3 jobs...

9. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    A lotta people don't live in Ohio...

Cascarino's Pizzeria and dapip repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AIUI, you're working with the poor. I was talking about people like The Conners...people struggling to stay in the working class.
    That too.

sitruc repped this.
  11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Seems relevant to the discussion:

1233041575414050817 is not a valid tweet id

IOW, covering everyone should not be a matter of “deserving” or “knowing your options” but pure self-interest.

12. We thought we had put down tuberculosis.
    However when societies behave barbaric towards people under their care payback comes knocking. It has been a popular feeling among rightish/rightwing people that someone in prison should be treated as bad as possible. In the former iron curtain countries, especially Rvskia, the treatment of and the conditions the inmates live in are inhumane to say the least. Seems satisfying to rightwing shitheads. However it was the breading ground for tuberculosis strains that are resistent to the medications we had.
    Good work lads. Keep the goodies coming.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Or have gotten hosed by our uniquely 'Merican HC system before and dont wanna risk a bigass bill

taosjohn repped this.
  14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    And IIRC we're the only advanced nation where you can lose your house and/or life savings from 1 unforeseen medical emergency

usscouse and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm not sure why we can get away with calling ourselves this.

xtomx, usscouse, Funkfoot and 3 others repped this.
  17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is not true, health related bankruptcies happen in other developed nations.

We, I believe have the highest rates, but we are not the only one.

Here is an article comparing US to Canada, in Canada about 15% of people filing bankruptcy say it was due to medical bills.

https://www.theatlantic.com/busines...rselves-with-our-neighbor-to-the-north/26591/

In the USA there have been many studies, some had it as high as 65%, most others had it in the 20-25% range.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5865642/

https://www.thebalance.com/medical-bankruptcy-statistics-4154729

18. ?
    Which ones? In Europe. In Western Europe.

19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yours is not to reason why, yours is to shut up, sit down, and cry.

At an event with White House adviser Kellyanne Conway on Tuesday, a woman was told to “shut up” after she accused President Donald Trump of wanting to cut Social Security and Medicare.

The confrontation occurred during Attorney’s General William Barr’s rollout of an elder fraud program in Tampa, Florida while Conway was speaking.

Tampa Bay Times correspondent Anastasia Dawson reported that the woman was told to “shut up” and “sit down.” According to reports, Conway did not directly answer the woman’s question

20. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did you actually read the report from the Canadian government mentioned in that article?

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/bsf-o...G.pdf/$FILE/Redish-Sarra-Schabas-2006-ENG.pdf

Reading that it's far from clear exactly what were the reasons for that percentage...

B. Causes of Bankruptcy

Chart 6 illustrates the causes of bankruptcy over the entire 1,000 sample. Overall, 29% of bankrupts over age 55 reported over-extension of credit as the primary cause of bankruptcy

15% declared medical reasons the primary cause, although it was unclear from the data whether this was the costs of care over and above the Medicare system or income loss due to medical reasons, or some combination of both.

The reason it's probably unclear is because that report is into the issue of bankruptcy as people grow old, NOT the specific issue of bankruptcies caused by medical bills.

xtomx repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    WRONG! he's going to do something-something if they get the House back and thanks for supporting me in the fake witch hunt

23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    His supporters will believe him, the ICs will give him the benefit of the doubt... After all, Obamacare was not perfect since the moment it was implemented...

24. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Ironic given that the ACA’s imperfections were primarily accommodations to independent centrists and IC leaning Dems.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  25. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    He reminds me of a former boss. 20% of his meeting was substance. The rest felt like he was filibustering or stalling for time.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.