Health Care Reform Part III: The Implementation.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *patpat* If you are truly angry about this situation, you should contact your Republican congressmen and ask them why they are unwilling to work with Democrats to improve ACA and make it even more affordable.

2. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I guess there lies my problem. I live in a very Democratic district in a very Democratic state. Maybe I should ask my Democratic Representative and Senators why they were and continue to be unwilling to work with Republicans in providing a better solution. We hear mend but what the hell does that mean? Slogans don't give people health care.

3. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Democrats aren't what is holding up fixing Republicans.. Kinda hard to work with Republicans to fix a law when they are working on their 51st attempt to repeal it (or is it 52nd?).

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Sure, break them down for me. Ultimately I am interested in the number of people that are uninsured (after all getting people off the uninsured rolls was one of the key goals of the law) and at what cost?

5. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay. Just checking. I'm sure we'll get more of this information you seek once the enrollment period actually comes to a close.

6. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I have yet to see any proposal from Democrats that actually fixes anything. According to Nancy, it is the law and everyone of her folks are behind it. Harry has done nothing as well. Barrack on the other hand, he will make fixes, political that is, when necessary even without the statutory authority to do so. The Democrats are the ones that forced this upon us, not sure why someone else has to clean up their mess.

7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    They can't even articulate issues, much less propose fixes.... here DWS gets stumped by MSNBC's attack dog Chuck Todd.

Ticks on a log? Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot! Embarassing.

8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Less than 72 hours after enrollment closed the insurance companies knew they had to raise rates next year due to new enrollees. Why can't the gov tell us so quickly who these folks are?

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I think the companies "knew" they had to raise rates for next year quite a bit before they announced that they would.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  10. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It is the same old line ....

Mend it (if you like your plan), don't end it (you can keep your plan).

11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  12. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
  13. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    There would be millions less but for the many Republican governors who've declined the Medicaid expansion.

14. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    She is literally too stupid to insult.

Oh wait, not quite. I feel bad for whoever has to roll over every morning and see that goblin without makeup.

15. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Politicians can't all be good looking, like Turtle Man and Carrotface.

16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QuickTake: Number of Uninsured Adults Falls by 5.4 Million since 2013

That 'surge' is going to be pretty impressive. Millions and millions of Americans now have health insurance because of this law. This chart really shows how the states that rejected the Medicaid expansion have been a drag on the overall totals, however:
    [​IMG]

But for those states, the sudden drop in the percentage of uninsured would be undeniably dramatic. And, no, this isn't mission accomplished, assholes. Just better than anything the Republicans would have been capable of.

dapip repped this.
  17. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    For republicans, expanding access to health care was never a mission.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think it might have been a mission 25 years ago. Not since Billary, though -- since then, health care to the GOP has been a political tool for winning elections, not a policy issue.

19. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Expanding health care is not a mission for either party. Neither gives a shit. It is all about politics.

20. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    The graphs tell a different story. Equally impressive will be the drop in the percentage of woefully under insured in the non-refusenik states.

21. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I am ducking in for my once a year glance at the discussions on here, and the more things change the more they stay the same. One upsmanship and fighting seems to be the on-going goal, just as it is on Fox and MSNBC.

Your statement, however, is just flat out wrong. If Obama and the democrats were looking at pure politics, they would concentrate solely on immigration and women's issues to shore up their huge advantages there that will essentially block the republicans from winning the white house for quite some time. They knew that this one would be a difficult fight and one that would raise eyebrows in their own party as there are plenty of people that saw this as a lower priority than other things.

Oh well. Carry on. I'll see you next spring break! I'm sure the topics will be Obama failure; Another Mass Shooting; Why Republicans shouldn't use New Media etc.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So if one party passes a bill that expands coverage, and gets hurt politically for it, and the second party opposes that bill that expands coverage and is helped politically, that is the same thing?

Nope, don't think so.

23. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The only things the ACA expands are insurance premiums and the waists of the CEO's who run the insurance companies. Health care coverage has not expanded. The ObamaCare plans are crap with the deductibles and co-pays. Providers are limited. So if some of you want to believe in this fairy tale, go ahead. If Obama and the Democrats actually gave a shit, they would not have thrown this fiasco at us that was tailored by the insurance industry.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ironic to see the GOP argument against the ACA being that the solution uses private industry.

dapip repped this.
  25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Maybe some in the GOP are (genuinely or not) sick of crony capitalism. Because this is exactly that.