Health Care Reform Part III: The Implementation.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what Boehner thinks about the states who are offering extensions:

http://resources.coveroregon.com/new-deadline-QA.html

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ants-to-get-extra-time-to-finish-applications

http://www.cdphp.com/Health-Care-Reform/hcr-blog

https://www.mnsure.org/news-room/news/news-detail.jsp?id=486-121326

http://www.nytimes.com/news/afforda...p=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2014/mar/20/nevada-health-exchange-approves-special-enrollment/

http://www.californiahealthline.org...changes-plan-to-extend-open-enrollment-period

VT and MD, too, I think. Maybe others, as well.

I'm not claiming this is good or bad. Only pointing out that this isn't exactly limited to the federal exchanges.

3. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McCullers is gone, so I guess it's time to tone down my avatar (which I'm sure was pivotal in Precourt's decision to dismiss him). Still can't watch the games on TV, though. I do, however, have health insurance.

American Brummie repped this.
  5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/...-deadline-takes-health-care-from-my-children/

[​IMG]

6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It helps to live in Florida. Until next year, no games are blacked out. Ever.

7. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As with many anti-ACA talking heads, she is conflating the subsidy for insurance plans purchased via the exchanges with the expansion of Medicaid.. It is generally intentional, mind you, because it is much easier to say "We shouldn't be using tax money to pay for a family making $94,000 a year to have insurance" than it is to say "We shouldn't be using tax money to pay for a family making $20,000 (or less) a year to have insurance."

9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Yeh, I realize what she is trying to do. That's why people like this need to be called out each and every time they try to pull such stunts. Unfortunately, many take this kind of deliberately obfuscated argument at face value.

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  11. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    American Brummie, VFish and Falc repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falc repped this.

lol.

American Brummie, dapip and M repped this.
  13. sedlie

sedlie Member+

Apr 5, 2011
    Astonishing! It's like people were procrastinating...

American Brummie and dapip repped this.
  14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Hey Secretary Sebelius, is there any chance you'll release the stats on the number that have actually paid their premium? That were previously uninsured? That are young invincibles? That'd make the 6 million figure somewhat useful.

15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [​IMG]

M repped this.
  16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [​IMG]

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Thank you for that pic! It has to be the perfect metaphor for this 6 million enrollment figure. Without demographic details it is meaningless and unfocused. So how many have paid (est. 80%). How many were previously uninsured (est. 30%). How many are young and healthy (est. 25%).

I'm sure if the #'s were rosier the admin would have shared them with us.

[​IMG]

18. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've told you and Falc, wait until mid-April.

19. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Sort of.

There will be a thousand ways to slice and dice the ACA numbers, once they're fully known. So, even then, each side will claim victory, regardless of whether the final enrollment numbers exceed predicted levels or not. As I said before, the myriad stats associated with the ACA won't really matter to individuals predisposed to a particular position based on a political or ideological perspective.

I do think, however, that one stat will be hard to avoid: the percentage of people without health insurance in this country. Hard to avoid because it's a simple number, will be easy for candidates to employ. I don't mean that fully understanding what the stat means is simple but, rather, that if the number is going down, ACA supporters will be able to use this one measuring stick as a a pretty effective tool to bludgeon critics of the law. If it goes up, nice sounding enrollment numbers for the ACA will be a tough sell for Dems when the right can toss out a stat that implies the law has done nothing to affect positive change in the overall number of insured.

Now, as Stanger mentioned a few days ago, this remains a game; that is, neither the Obama Administration nor the ACA's critics have won this battle (here I disagree with you Brummie). But, trends certainly favor the law's supporters: The enrollment numbers are looking much, much better than could have been envisioned back in late October; that uninsured percentage has dropped since the open enrollment period commenced. It's still higher than it was in 2008, of course. And my guess is that it'll be a while before the dust settles and we have a 'final' post-rollout percentage to debate. But if it does drop below 15%, it'll be a nice stat for the Dems to use to validate their support for this law.

[​IMG]

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Pretty sure he or some others have been banging on those significant qualifiers for a while now. I know it probably sends a tingle up your leg to use such a clever picture, but I don't see where the goalpost moving is.

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Interesting that the number is almost exactly where it was at the last inflection point in late 2012.

22. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know why I'm confident we've already won? Six million people with health insurance are going to talk about it over the next four months. The media will cover the successes and failures, follies and foibles, and people will start enrolling again in October. New people will enroll, and over the next few years (remember, this isn't a one-year law) more and more individuals will get insurance.

What you've got to believe is that people will hear all the good news about insured individuals getting health care and decide they would rather pay the penalty, year in and year out.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is a 3 year law, until the Reps win the Senate, House and white house. :whistling:

24. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I hope we'll get state by state figures for coverage. That will then illuminate any differences between those states that accepted the Medicaid expansion and those that refused it (and went out of their way to try to make the ACA fail).

Minnman repped this.
  25. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    You do understand that Medicaid is a temporary measure. States have those under that coverage reapply at certain intervals. Comparing who receives Medicaid and who pays for insurance is apple and oranges.