He Scores When He Wants .. - The Marcus Rashford Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Was not aware that his shoulder was still an issue. I get that guys want to play pretty much no matter what but surely that is something that Ole has to be aware of.
    And given how he's performing of late (on top of being obviously tired), it seems it would be only natural to try to protect and spell him than he has so far: as the coach he is in a position to do so.
    For all the good qualities Ole has demonstrated, there still are characteristics that are odd and terribly frustrating (failure to protect players from themselves is definitely one of them). We already saw what happened last season when he was playing thru a bad back and end up missing serious time because of it.

3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    When its this bad, maybe he should just rest or get surgery now.

Are we really that desperate and single minded? Are we really going to risk longer term damage for a top 4 finish? Its not even a league title.

If Bruno says, why rest me, Im not tired... I can understand even if he's wrong. But if Marcus is saying Im fine, protect the kid.

johno repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1129 Ashur, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Imagine that Ole knows that his job is on the line if he fails to finish in the top 4 or secure CL via winning the EL. Regardless, it's irrelevant when compared to looking after the well being of his players, not to mention the obvious also: that Rashford currently is proving almost useless (some might even say a liability). As stated though, it's no excuse: it's just the only way some of his decisions make some kind of sense to me...
    We better hope that nothing serious happens to him though going forward. Unfortunately, and while I don't believe it to be necessarily intentional on Ole's part, it can be argued there is a pattern forming here: Rashford injury with his back or playing Pogba in a meaningless League Cup game when he already wasn't at 100% and led to him missing a huge chunk of the season (and needing I believe a couple of surgeries).
    It also stands to reason that part of the blame probably could be attributed to our medical staff as well. After all, it's their job to assess and look after player's fitness and well being when they suffer from any kind of ailment or injury.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not all that reassuring, if this report from Ducker is true...
    "Rash's injury has resulted in a pretty serious inflammation in his shoulder and limits his mobility in games, especially his capacity to jump and hold the ball up.
    His teammates are astonished that he's able to play, despite the pain."

That definitely explains a lot and the more we learn about this, the more damning it gets. Don't think it's out of bounds to suggest that he shouldn't be playing: a bad fall on it or perhaps a solid bang from an opposing player could cause serious damage. Looking forward to hear what Ole will have to say about this, now that it's been made public...
    So that's 2 players we have currently, playing heavy mins while carrying a pretty significant injury that would appear to require surgery: Vic and his back being the other (Ole mentioned again yesterday that he's in serious pain and his status was uncertain at this time.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

His overall game clearly has not been anywhere near his best on a consistent level this season. Yet, it's still pretty remarkable that he's managed to record 18 goals, along 11 assists so far.
    Can't help but being a bit worried about him after it's been revealed his shoulder is still a pretty major issue. And like Vic, he does deserve some credit for persevering thru the pain and trying his best but it's probably also fair to wonder (and even assume) whether this injury (along with the obvious fatigue) is seriously affecting his performance level at this point.
    The time left between the end of the club season, followed by the Euros he's probably going to take part in, before he can genuinely address the problem, is also a bit of a concern. Fingers crossed he does not aggravate the situation between now and then...

7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    And hes going to go to the Euros and play on that bad shoulder... then hes going to go to the world cup im the winter of 2022.

Poor kid. Hope he's investing well.

8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well his brand is already robust so there's that

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Marcus wants to play for England and I hope he will be fit. If he can play for us before the intl break, I don't see why he can't play for England. He's proud to represent England."
    "I spoke to Southgate and he will pick Marcus if he's fit. There is absolutely no problem."

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is interesting also: I thought the verdict was that he needed surgery at some point...

jnielsen repped this.
  11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can someone explain to me why this guy joined up with England when he's been injured for the last month and too hurt to play against Milan (only 45) and LC?

This type of shit wouldn't fly if SAF were around. Ole should send a message and bench his ass. If he's too hurt to play for United then he's too hurt to play for his country. Bottom line.

jeff070 and Anonymous_United repped this.
  12. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Too much pressure for young players to play for England in major tournaments. Even though they’re shite, the pressure is massive.

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    True. What I'm saying is SAF made it easy for them. He told them your not ********ing going. Tell the manager your hurt or sit in the stands for United for the next month.

Futbol_Head and Chaz Striker repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Great words/mindset from Rashford, but to truly being able to be at your best and give it your all, you have to be fit as well.
    Pace yourself and think about the big picture.
    [​IMG]

15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1379049801208193025 is not a valid tweet id

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Still not good enough..

jeff070 repped this.
  18. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    unreasonable statement.

besides Bruno he is the only one pulling his weight offensively (possibly McTominay who has a few goals) even with his erratic performances and decision making. that is one thing no one can deny him - his output is there

worse when you consider he has essentially carried the goal scoring burden for this team for most of the time period since he broke into the first team. compare it to the last striker to break through - Welbeck - who had the luxury of the team being mature and a well oiled machine for him to score in a 5-0 and shimmy dance and all that.

it's been unfair on Rashford in some ways to carry that burden without even having half of the team support Welbeck did

benni... repped this.
  19. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Why would you compare him to Welbeck anyway ? I think Rashford and Martial both have shared the burden of scoring goals under ole but both are mixed bags. Fernandes is elite.

20. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I don't think you can say it's unfair Rashford is putting in the goals or carrying the burden without support, when he so frequently refuses to use support anyway.

It's great that he has managed to score as many goals as he has this season. But unfortunately there isn't yet a stat for how many assists he's cost us by refusing to release the ball and play in strikers who are wide open, or how many times he's failed to make runs into the box to get on the end of a ball across the box, or how often he demands the ball to feet rather than making a run that frees up other players.

He's obviously been carrying injuries, which is an even bigger reason to sign Sancho as someone who can play on both wings. But Rash's ceiling will be defined by whether he gets his head around this. He could either have a Shaw-esque leap in quality, or he could always be two or three tiers below where he should be.

jeff070, jnielsen, JC7rox and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Bingo and we hope that leap is definite not volatile.

22. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1380266001976156165 is not a valid tweet id

23. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Need to improve, if he can sort out his finishing and be bit more exciting in box he can get us 30 goals.

jeff070 repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can't be denied that production wise, Rash has steadily progressed and like him or not, he has become an important part of our attack and team as a whole.
    His game is definitely maddening at times and eventhough I believe Ole has done a pretty decent job with him in some areas, I believe that another coach could help him take his game to the next level.
    The main concern for now though is his health and fitness: while it speaks of his commitment that he's very willing to play thru pain, it's just not the smartest thing. Not to mention the obvious also that the fitter he is, the better he will feel and play). Has to learn how to pull it back, for the sake of the longevity of his career...

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States