He Hate Me and other names

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Colonial717, May 9, 2005.

1. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    From SI Power Rankings
    Didn't want to start a whole new trend but I haven't seen this anywhere. Does anyone else like this trend in the MLS? I think that as long as it doesn't get out of hand it could be an interesting twist (would say tradition but not yet) that MLS has on other leagues, without Americanizing the rules. That said, I really really really really do not want to see it on any DC United jersey. Hopefully we could manage to be different by not doing it, though I am sure we could think up some good ones (personally I wonder if horseradish tree would fit). I think of this trend sort of like the PT Criuser or the Beetle, a welcome respite to the monotony of cars on the road, but damned if I will every be seen driving one. Thoughts?

2. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I am waiting for the day I can buy a Josh Gros jersey that has "Mechanic" on the back of it.

:rolleyes:

Worst.
    Trend.
    Ever.

3. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I really don't like the trend, to be honest. It reeks of a bit of cheesiness.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The difference being our jersey is sacred and tradition laden. The players are well aware of its significance and of all of those that have wore it before. I don't see anybody making a mockery of it. The front office wouldn't stand for it and the fans sure as hell wouldn't stand for it.

You could put ASSWIPE on the back of Guevarra's jersey and no one would notice. (actually, it kinda has a nice ring to it :D )

5. Beaker

Beaker Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Vienna, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The likelihood Kaiser Nowak would allow such trivialities...NIKT.

6. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Leslie Fitzpatrick of RSL ("Tiger"), Thiago Martins ("Thiba") and Guillermo Ramirez of LA ("Pando") also have their nicknames on the back. Ezra Hendrickson has gone back to having "Ezra" on the back of his.

At the post-game party, I was talking to United's Equipment Manager, Francisco Tobar, about this. He told me that those guys wanted Ezra and Thiba on their jerseys when they were here, but they weren't allowed. I'm guessing this is part of Kevin Payne's "We want to look like a soccer team" mentality. Still, I told Francisco that if a United player ever had their nickname on the back of their jersey I was gonna come looking for him.

This reminds me way too much of 1997. Damian and Digital, anyone? The only player in MLS who should have his nickname on his jersey is Preki, because he's earned it.

BTW, if you ever get a chance to talk to Francisco, he's a great guy. Always laughing about something.

7. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    That's because nobody is noticing anything up there in the Meadowlands these days...

8. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    Totally lame. Although it seems like RSL left winger Leslie Fitzpatrick really goes by the name Tiger. Anytime he's mentioned in the press he's referred to as Tiger. Still though, its a dumb trend and I hope it doesn't get out of hand.

9. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Of course he does, he's got the greatest job in the world. :) I can verify Dave's assertion about Francisco. I spent alot of time with him in Bradenton and he was class all the way just like the rest of the guys.

10. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, Brazilians tend to go by single names, but that name becomes more than a moniker. I mean, who wants to meet Edson Nacimiento? Preki is Preki, not Mr. Radislevic or whatever his last name is.

That's the only time a nickname works. Being called "Loco" on your jersey doesn't give me much idea of who the heck you are.

11. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm pretty ambivalent about it, though I will allow that a "Diablo" #10 United jersey would look pretty cool.

12. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    If you were named Leslie, you would probably take Tiger over that every day of the week.

13. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    HUGE props in store for anyone who makes one of these banners for our RSL game...
    [​IMG]

14. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    come back with idea few weeks before RSL game, I have limited amount of brain space :p

15. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Put the name by which the player is referred to be teammates etc.

If it's Rodriguez, then Rodriguez, if it's Sequeira, then Sequeira, but if it's Douglas, put Douglas then!

Simple.

It's what we do in Brazil and we've won 5 World Cups. :D

16. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    How bout some gold bracelets?

17. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind it when it's stuff like "Thiba." If it gets too cutesy or goofy I'll hate it, though.

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... mod's note ...

This doesn't really have much specifically to do with DC United so I'm gonna move it to the MLS General board.

19. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and the fact that RADOSAVLJEVIC takes up a ridiculous amount of space on the back of a jersey.

20. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I liked He Hate Me and I like this trend. Anything to distinguish a player from the vast anonymity that soccer players in America experience is a positive in my book. While I think some (Loco) don't really work, I'm going to trust the players to police themselves, and realize when they've got a stupid nickname on the back of their jerseys.

21. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    So when do we rename MLS to XLS?

22. ISiddiqui

ISiddiqui Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Let me join in in calling this trend LAME. Do we really want people equate the MLS to the XFL? If anyone needed a reminder, that league didn't go over so well.

23. Rowray

Rowray New Member

May 2, 2005
    I'm just waiting for the first player to put "IDIOTS" on the back of his jersey in response to all the others.

24. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed last week's Chivas game. Did Sequeira really have "El Me Odia" on his back or is this some kind of running joke? Does anyone have a pic or something?

25. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Either that, or could you imagine a player selling his "nickname" to a corporate sponsor.

And now, starting at a forward spot, #9, MIKE PEPSI!