Have you ever gone to a game with the Outlaws?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by portlanded, Nov 16, 2015.

1. portlanded

portlanded Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    I'm a huge USMNT and USWNT fan, and I've been considering going to watch the WC qualifiers with my local Outlaws chapter. However, a few friends of mine have had what they describe as really bad experiences with their outlaw chapters (none of which are mine, in Portland).

But I found this article which is really convincing me to check it out. Have any of you gone and watched with your chapters and what's it like? I want a fun/loud atmosphere where I can watch the game but not feel jostled or overly crowded

2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    They're not my cup of tea. Your mileage may vary. Then again, I tend not to like supporter groups much, in general.

3. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a member of my local chapter and have been to 4 matches with the Outlaws all in Southern California.

My answer would be depends on your local chapter, and what you like your match experience to be.

If your interested in sitting down analyzing the formation, and match ups of individual players, probably not your scene.

On the other hand if you want to stand, chant, sing, and let off curse words with no fear of someone telling you to sit down, or not use that language it is. There is a culture of beer drinking, but that's far from unique. Honestly the Outlaws are no different then your average NFL tailgate (and choir boys compared to the Raiders).

So comes down to what your ideal way of experiencing a match is?

4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Are you asking about going to a bar to watch games?

I go watch lots of games at bars with the AO here in Houston. Some games are more crowded than others but it is a good experience. The USWNT games are usually much more laid back but it did get crowded for the last couple of World Cup games last year. And for the men's World Cup in 2014 it was a little crazy but lots of folks came to join us:

[​IMG]

As Owian said, for the men's games there can be a lot of standing, yelling, singing, and swearing and, yes, a lot of beer gets drunk but that's kind of the point. Sort of like being in a supporter section at a live game. Well, not quite since I see more of the game at a bar. ;)

5. portlanded

portlanded Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    That's very true and from responses I kind of realized it varies. I went to watch the USMNT play T&T Tuesday with my local chapter and had a ton of fun! Not sure if I'll go again to a match I actually care to watch, though. It was fun, but more of a rowdy fan atmosphere. It felt very traditional American fan group (no offense meant by that, it's just different). I'd rather go to a bar where I can focus on the game. But the atmosphere was undeniably intense. In a good way.

6. Matthew Johnson

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not for a viewing party (they meet at a 21 and up place and I have to take my son with me to soccer stuff so I come home and stay relatively sober). But I did stand with them in GA for the Panama match here in Seattle. Would do it again, good times.