have you been able to resell your tickets?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by mjlee22, Mar 11, 2016.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping to sell 2 of our 4 tickets for this Sun Mar-13-2016 game. At the end of last season, I did this once and sold our club seats for around half price.

Today though, I tried to set a lowball price to try and get something for these seats. But the Earthquakes Account Manager says that I cannot set a price below $70.20. This is the lowest price I can set, whether I am using Fixed price, market price, or declining price. So I can't dump the tickets using the quakes ticketmaster account. Secondly, I cannot sell them up until game time, the listing will automatically be cancelled at the end of Saturday, i.e., before game day.

Is this the way this worked last year? Right now there are 777 tickets for resale. Obviously, not very many people are going to sell their tickets. So the Quakes are forcing us to take a complete loss on the tickets?

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Anyhow, this helps explain why the stadium looks so empty...

2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's like they're trying to avoid reverse scalping? I guess they're afraid that STH selling tickets at market price (way below face value) will reduce the FO's ability to sell tickets. StubHub is the way to go.

And yes, for the most part, if you cannot attend a game you will take a loss on the tickets. It was that way last year too.

3. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sold my tickets for this weekend's game for cash to someone from a Quakes Facebook group.
    Last year I sold my tickets online a bunch of times, and though it often went to the last minute, they usually sold, and for more than what I paid for them.
    But I don't have club seats. Your seats are unusually expensive, making it harder to sell them....

mjlee22 repped this.
  4. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    Midfield tickets are selling for less than face value at Stubhub. It's a buyer's market

5. chilitownpontiff

Jul 14, 2008
    San Ramon
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

most professional teams don't allow you to offer your tickets at less than the price you paid if you're going to resell through their own site. if you want to take them to an open market, that's what stubhub is for. otherwise it looks like the team is promoting bargain basement prices on their on website, and that doesn't make any sense.

with the way the weather forecast is shaping up for the weekend, it's certainly a buyer's market. glad i already own a poncho...

DotMPP repped this.
  6. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, we are competing with the FO which is selling tickets for $18 and for a few dollars more, they'll throw in a St Patrick's Day tshirt...in Portland colors!

7. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee, I thought ticketmaster owned stubhub. So I didn't realize I need to resell on a different site. That kinda sucks, cuz it's too late to do that now. What a pain.

So is 777 tickets for resale kinda normal for the Quakes?

8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There were a lot more available last weekend.

9. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just sold two of my four seats for the all-star game on StubHub (which is owned by PayPal now I think... could be EBay not sure where that went after their divorce). Why can't you remove them from the ticket master site and put them on StubHub?

10. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well I'll be darned. Our 2 tickets sold last night (Fri) at 10:45 PM for around $78 market price. I couldn't see the actual sales price on the account manager. I noticed that the other 4-6 ticket sets that were in 106 also sold last night, so I'm guessing maybe there will be a number of Timbers fans sitting with us.

Since someone will probably ask me, I think our original cost per ticket cost was $90, and we are getting $70 from ticketmaster. So I guess when it comes to quakes games, it pays to resell cheaper seats but not expensive ones.

Just curious if 49ers is any different. Anyone know?

btw the ticketmaster rep I talked to said that some NBA and NFL teams do allow people to transfer the parking pass as well. Maybe we should lobby Quakes to bar code the parking passes so that we can resell them electronically. I suspect they over-subscribe the lots though.

11. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might try that next time. Altho if you go to another site, do you have to do that way in advance, because you have to mail stuff in?

12. chilitownpontiff

Jul 14, 2008
    San Ramon
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...those appear to be standing room tickets, not reserved seats. Their reserved seats are still regular price.

St Patrick's Day shirts have green in them. It stinks it's against the only team in the league that wears green, but it's really not a big deal. the shirt will live on long after the 2 hours the game takes.

Mglnbea repped this.
  13. chilitownpontiff

Jul 14, 2008
    San Ramon
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Just save your tickets from the account manager as a .pdf and then upload the .pdf to StubHub. It's a little more work, but not super hard.

mjlee22 repped this.
  14. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had good luck selling my tickets to section 108 on Account Manager. They've always gone for at least 10% after "convenience" fee, or whatever they call it is taken out.

CAUTION ABOUT STUBHUB. At the last minute I could not go to the Orlando game at Levi's last year. It was too late to post the tickets on Account Manger so I posted them on Stub Hub. After I posted them, I printed them off thinking that I was going to give to my kid's old soccer coach. He called right back saying he couldn't go after all so I never took the listing off of Stubhub. The tickets sold for about $70. Apparently, when the buyer got to the game, the tickets he had downloaded were invalid. Fortunately for the buyer who was denied entrance (which must have sucked) was able to get other seats after calling Stubhub to complain. I got to eat the $70 because I sold bogus tickets.
    Why? 'Quakes told me that when I printed the tickets after posting them on Stub Hub, the printed tickets invalidated the Stub Hub tickets. HOWEVER, the team's OWN policy on third party sales states that in this situation, the first set of tickets that are taken to the stadium are those that are honored. The club would not honor their own posted policy. I even talked to Kaval about it and he acknowledged the policy as printed online was in error but never offered anything to compensate me.

And no, this was not a Levi's Stadium policy, I talked to them. They were enforcing the club's policy. They have the technology.

Don't know if the club has corrected this their. JUST BE SURE TO READ THE THIRD MARKET RESALE POLICY.

mjlee22 repped this.
  15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I believe this is a problem even when you don't use StubHub. For example, if you print out the tickets, forget them at home, so try to get in with your mobile app.

16. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You didn't sell bogus tickets. You sold valid tickets. Kaval is bogus. Did you specifically ask him to compensate you for his mistake?

17. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like I was blaming Stubhub. Poor choice of wording on my part.

18. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just checked Ticketmaster (it's almost 11:00 AM on game day), and it looks like the quakes have sold almost all their venue tickets, while there are still 688 resale seats.

Do the venue tickets also use a market pricing algorithm? So do the venue tickets go up and down and along with the resale tickets?

19. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I have another question. I thought the Quakes Account Manager said that you can't resell tickets on game day, but they are continuing to show up on Ticketmaster. Did I misunderstand that, or is the quakes info wrong, or what?

20. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps you can't put them up for sale on game day.

21. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    Under the roof tickets can be had for less than $8 on Stubhub. I would get those instead of 1st row seats still listed for much more.

22. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Pro tip: buy the cheapest ticket available, even SRO with the ultras. Go all the way up to the walkway under the roof, find empty seats, take empty seats. They have workers at the initial stairs but not at the top.

23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I couldn't find the more up-at-date thread where STHs reported their success reselling their tickets.

For Friday's FC Dallas game, our 2 seats in section 106 sold 1 hour before kickoff. I think that's the deadline...

So for 2017 season, so far we are 1/1 on reselling tickets. I haven't looked up the sales price yet. We also didn't sign up for the pre-game hospitality this season, so we are losing a lot less money per sale than last season.

24. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far I've listed 2 tix and sold both quite quickly. It depends a lot where your seat is. My seats last year were in row 21 and almost never sold them. This year I'm in row 6 in a cheaper section and only have one seat, and it has so far been selling like a hotcake.

25. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My son and I missed the first game and were able to sell moat seats at face value. A first for us!