Rumor: Have I Heard:Dinho's Dead???...

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by kingkong1, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    [​IMG]

2. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    PS: How come you 'ignore' someone if you declare it publicly? :eek: ...

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Congrats for publically admitting to your use of the ignorance list.

By position or overall?

4. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    overall, and that's 25, not 250 :D

5. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Don't mind Teso's derisive appreciation of the game's stars.

It's typical of the obscure character of lousy movies he incarnates :eek: ...

6. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Zidane can easily be put in the top 10 in the past 15 years and top 10 in his position of all time. IMO

7. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim

Not really. Messi is not that much loved in Argentina. He has a far better reputation everywhere else but in Argentina.

8. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What a sepulchral silence...

Anybody following Ronnie's goals on Serie A?...

For a 'dead' guy, that's a quite emphatic demonstration of his 'ressurection', isn'it? :p ...

Anybody better than him this season (in spite of Milan's team inconsistency?)?...

http://br.truveo.com/RONALDINHO-2009-SERIE-A-GOALS/id/1010490804

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/seriea/stats

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables?league=ita.1&&cc=3888

:cool:

9. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Your title is disturbing... For some time, I really thought he was gone.

This said, I find it far fetched to expect him to make a big impact at WC 2010. He's one of my favorite players, but age is starting to show, and he's also not so hardworking (to say the least). I wouldn't entrust him a talented team like Brazil's, specially with the younger players you have.

10. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I didn't say I expected that for sure.

All I said was (read my 1st post) if he had a great performance in Serie A (and so far he's obviously achieving that) and kept that level in 2010 (with Brazil winning the title), then bye-bye, Zidane, Messi, Cronaldo, Romário, Ronaldo as the best of the last 20 years.
    28? 'Age'???...
    You want him breaking stones in the streets???...
    Any NT that was successful in a WC mixed experienced and young players.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've watched almost every Milan game with Ronaldinho this year and although he has score quite a few goals (many very important), he is very far from the player he once was. Ronaldinho limits himself to crosses, through passes, and showing up in the box as a second striker.

His dribbling ability and pace, which is one of the things that made him so dangerious, has come down so much it's almost unbelievable. I remember at Barcelona he would almost never lose a ball ... today it's frequent for him to be disposessed even by average defenders.

He is not finished by any means, but I don't see him having the same impact he once had. He will be at best a good role player. Which is a shame because he had the ability to be a midfield maestro and I don't think he ever fulfilled that role. Rijkard stuck him on the left with some freedom to roam on the field but as the years went buy, he moved around less and less.

There are people thinking he is still getting back in form/physical shape. But I just can't see it happening. He has been healthy since August. An athlete should be able to get back in shape by now ... specially with the help of the "famed" Milan lab.

I would not want to see my Selecao built around Ronaldinho unless I see vast improvement.

12. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I wouldn't want to see my Seleção buildt around any player...

That never happened to the Canarinhos anyway.

Even in 94, besides Romário and Bebeto, there was the imprescindible help of Dunga and Mauro Silva (& the rest of the team that was very solidary).

As far as getting back in shape, it took rigorously 4 years for Pelé to get back to the ideal shape for his 'age' (26 in 1966, by the way the same age of Ronaldinho in 2006, 4 years before what's possibly going to be his last Cup).

Dribbling ability coming down? How can you say that after his last week goal against Palermo?...

Pace? Pace comes with time. It also depends on the rythm of the team he's playing with, which let's convene is quite unstable.

Never losing a ball in Barcelona? Barcelona was a much more structured team then than Milan today.

Sure he didn't get 100% back to his old shape. Yet. Even if he never does though, 70% will do it - more than enough to surpass the names cited above.

The same happened to Zidane in 2006 (who was a shadow of the 1998 player), and France - because of him - almost got the title.

Yes, he was healthy since August. But 4 months are not enough for an atlete who besides having to superate injuries & disbelief, changed completely from country, climate, club, companions, language, etc etc.

For me he is already surprising many of you but most likely you won't give the elbow to twist, isn't it :rolleyes: ...

Let's wait for the results, which you yourself conceded ['he has scored quite a few goals (many very important)'] are starting to happen in a way more accelerated frequence.

13. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too have seen just about all of Milan's games this year, and Ronaldinho's mobility is increasing every game. He nearly looked like the old terror in the second half against Palermo. He's obviously not back yet, but its funny that people doubt the leading scorer of a team second in Serie A.

You also have to factor in the relative health of Milan as well, because they're still figuring out the team's look and tactics. For example; Milan is somehow undefeated when Pirlo is not playing and winless when he is. The simple fact is that Milan is not clicking on all cylinders yet Ronaldinho is their leading scorer by far.

At his current rate, he will be about 85% of the 2005-06 Ronaldinho when he rejoins Brazil next year. Definitely not dead.

14. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Finally a post-tomb voice ;) !...

15. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post- exactly right. Most Juve fans like myself did not weep when he was sold to Real Madrid because of all the annual, overrated choking that Zidane did in the Champions League with some of the best teams in Juve's history. Real would have won much more if they got Makelele some of that PR!

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I saw the game against Palermo and I know the play you are talking about. He dribbled past 3 players and got the PK. But it's clear to see that his body language is different. Even as recent as 2007, he was explosive in his runs and it looked like he always had an extra gear. Now he looks heavy when dribbling. There is a clear difference. I am not surprised he lost some ... I am surprised how much he has lost.

I am not referencing the structure itself. Barcelona was definitely a better team. I am merely talking his individual game.

I am just not sure 70% will do it. That's where I think we differ. Specially in the midfield.

Zidane had one great game in 2006 ... and it was against us. His performance really wasn't that great as France really struggled to get out of the first phase.

Honestly, I think after 4 months he should be close to full fitness. I've seen many players accomplish that. But that's my opinion. I am just seeing way too many similarities between his trajectory and Ronaldo's.

I do hope he comes back to at least 85% of his former self. I am just not convinced right now.

17. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    My take..
    I agree Ronaldinho seems to have lost that burst of pace and loses the ball more than before, but we are comparing him to the old ronaldinho which imo was one of the most talented, dominating players ever at his peak (and i dont believe that is an exaggeration). If he is compared to his peers, he is currently on par with the best of serie a. He will never regain his old form, but he is talented enough and technically superior enough to be an integral part of any squad. He is different from a CRonaldo because he has always had the vision, so now when his burst of pace is diminishing, he can focus on being the playmaker.

18. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For me he is a guaranteed presence in 2010 - as one of the main starters (and would also be in any team of the world)...

His experience & class are unvaluable.

Like 30-year-old Pelé in 1970 he'll know how to dose his energies in 2010.

19. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For me he is a guaranteed presence in 2010 - as one of the main starters (and would also be in any team of the world)...

Even with average to good physical shape, his experience & class will be determinant to Brz equilibrium...

Like 30-year-old Pelé in 1970 with Anderson at his side & Kaká a little more up in front the 2010 30-year-old Dinho will know how to dose his energies and distribute the 'dishes' to Rob & L. Fabiano :cool: ...

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The only difference I see is that he is more comfortable playing for Milan because they play a slower game than that of Barcelona so instead of looking lost he is able to contribute more to the team. The same would not be true of Brazil and unless he gets his fitness back then he will again be a passenger.

21. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Sort of like Messi is the better overall player (by a fair distance) in the world right now....despite Crynaldo being considered the "best" around? Are you not the same one who felt like van der sar was the best keeper at euro 08? Oh yeah, you were.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Waaaay too early to say that. Often players get reinvigorated when they change leagues. Lets see how well he sustains this level.

Remember it also helps that he's playing in a weaker league now. This fact needs to be considered as well.

23. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Incorrect, Barca had a mixture of fast, direct players and slower paced ball distributors with xavi, iniesta, deco so they didnt need another one, with brazil you dont have too many that play the slower, creative role so he can fit into that system well.

24. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Not like that at all. What you posted above is also factually incorrect. You haters need to get a life.

In midfield you can afford to have slower players that can retain the ball and dictate the tempo. Barcelona use that in combination with the speed and movement they have up front to hurt teams. What you cannot have is a slow player who struggles to link up with his fellow attacking players and that is the problem Ronaldinho faced. He does not face that problem at Milan because their entire team, in general, is slower and he plays in a more possession based league. Unless he changes his position to play further back and take less of a leading role in the attack then he will continue to be a hindrance for Brazil. Notably when they have better players to play further forward and better players to sit back and dictate. There is simply no place for him for Brazil just like there was no place for him at any of the elite sides bar Milan, which is why the move was good. They can coexist.

25. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    16 x 11.

Man, incredible how the polls keep flattening you out on the asphalt :eek: ...