Rumor: Have I Heard:Dinho's Dead???...

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by kingkong1, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm not an 'average poster' (not too humble, huh?) :p ...

I'll concede though: it was my mistake.

That's the problem with reading & writing in different threads at the same time...

Anyway you revealed in the next post you do have have a club problem with Ronnie only because he said Barça was better than Chelsea (not a dishonour in fact).

And at that time it was - independent of the result.

There is a sort of 'despite' towards Dinho in England because he never cared much about playing there.

Besides, there is 2002 (oh, sweet 2002)!...

As far as 'your' Scolari, were he the coach of Brazil now (or in 2010) be sure Dinho would be one of his key starters (if not - more than Kaká - the main one) - and with Dunga or any other coach of the world too.

Maybe not at his utmost prime but he'll come back strong enough.

In 1970 Pelé was not at his prime anymore, in 1962 Garrincha either, in 1994 Romário either, in 2004 Ronaldo either.

They were just good enough - that's the 'chance' they've always wanted (& had it) in their lives.

2. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Teso, why do you feel the need to consistantly do this. You always have opinions that go against the grain. I know what you are trying to do. By disagreeing to what is common thought you are saying that...

"Well, the casual watcher, or at first glance it seems this happend, but the more astute observer can look deeper into the event and see that this is what really happend."

You are trying to make yourself seem more intelligent and more of an expert on football .

Ronaldinho was the best in the world from 2004-2006. He could do everything that Cristiano Ronaldo could do, but with the awareness and passing or Pirlo or Xavi.

You did the same thing after the recent Liverpool vs Man Utd match. It was clear to everyone that Van der Saar made a mistake, but you had to go against common though, and said that he didn't do anything wrong, and that it was Brown's mistake.

Rant over.

3. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
  4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    So what you are trying to say is that Ronaldinho and Ronaldo knew their true standing?

You are a new poster, there is nothing wrong with that, but you need to realise that I have been through these discussions in depth and often years before you joined this board. So when I make a statement I make it with the knowledge that I have already been through all of the issues with people who think as you do. Just because something is 'common thought' does not make it true unless you want to start discussing this flat world we inhabit and the geocentric model of the universe.

5. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    So then you are implying Ronaldinho was not the best on his team during his peak years? I do like to see how you would argue that point.

6. Tribune

Tribune Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Although I don't agree with Teso, I can see where he is coming from. He is very likely to have in mind the fact that Ronaldinho, while the most talented of all the players from 2004-2006, was pretty inconsistent. This is particularly true for his second Barca season, when he has shown his brilliance only in spurts. While he delivered excellent moments, especially against the big teams, there were also distinct periods of time, especially around october 2004 or december-january, when he didn't do much.

Depends what you rate. If, like Dark Savante for instance, judge players according to how they perform against the best sides in the world, then Ronaldinho's your man. But, if you judge from a day-per-day basis, strictly calendaristic, then Ronaldinho's status can indeed be questioned.

7. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    I agree, there were periods in which his form would dip, but the same could be said about Ronaldo who was less than stellar in euros and would go missing against some of the top squads last season. In regards to Ronaldinho, when he was on form he was without question the best player imo, and the most influential on Barca's success.

8. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Ronaldinho is as good as he was in 2002 just wait.

When Ronaldinho plays his best - no one (not even C. Ronaldo) can hang with him (with the exception of Zidane). :)

I'm not a Brazil supporter - I go with England or Nigeria :) And thats my 2 cents. He will do well in the next world cup if he gets called up. But I don't think I can rate him above Zidane for the past 15 years - Zidane is too consistent. Ronaldinho has flashes of brilliance.

9. Scolari

Scolari New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    You're rating Zidane....above Ronaldinho?

Ronaldinho had a FAR bigger impact at Barca than Zidane ever did on any team he ever played for. Barca was formed around Ronaldinho.

Ronaldinho was also a far bigger impact in a WC than Zidane ever proved to be. Zidane hardly did anything in 98, whereas Ronaldinho was key in 2002.

10. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Are you kidding? Lol. I'm a fan of both of the players. Zidane consistently played well throughout his reign as the best player in the world. Ronaldinho disappeared for awhile had a shoddy performance in 2006 and what not...

Zidane hardly did anything in 98...didn't France win that WC? Didn't Zidane score 2 headers in the final to beat one of the best Brazlian squads of all time.

Top form Ronaldo - Cafu - Dunga - Rivaldo - Roberto Carlos - Bebeto and more...

I think Zidane did a little something in '98.

BTW Zidane was a key player in all his club teams, hardly expendable.

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Not this Zidane rubbish again.

12. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Meh, I'm far from a "dickrider" is what I call them. But I think I have a valid point :)

I see you kinda just run around making these snobbish and snide remarks. To each his own I guess :rolleyes:

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Read my previous post to 'Big Soccer Member' and, no, you do not have a valid point.

14. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Just join in the conversation :) And by the way, who are you to judge anyone? Lol.

15. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I guess you're referring to this - Well if you've been over everything so many times how about sitting out of the conversations instead of trying to ruin it for everyone else with worthless/spineless remarks.

If you want to make a point then feel free to try and attempt to prove it. And also if you've been through these discussions so much..You might want to get out of the house :) I'm out.

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You made the initial claim so the onus is on you to prove it. I'll also stay 'in the house' because the only way to dispel a myth and prevent it from being passed on is to confront it head on.

17. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    But you haven't said anything at all. Do us all a favor and dispel the myth.

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You, on the other hand, have said plently. Do enjoy trying to prove that Zidane was consistent and that he was, and I quote, 'a key player in all his club teams, hardly expendable'. Over to you.

19. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thanks for recognizing him as a myth.

Yeah, that's what he is.

A myth.

Like Pelé & Matthews.

You still didn't give us who was better in the last 15 years (besides Riquelme, your 'Last Tango in Paris' love) .

Thanks too for staying at the 'house'.

We do need some fun :p ...

20. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Zidane is a myth lol. Tell the rest of the world that because you are just so much smarter.

21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Consider the following three players:

Better overall: Riquelme
    Higher peak: Rivaldo
    Longer peak: Mendieta

Three different players named for three different reasons (although there is a lot of crossover between them).

22. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Sounds me really strange anyone consider Riquelme better overall than Ronaldinho, I think the Argentine is very underneath in the "historic list" about the Brazilian.

I'm could be agree about Rivaldo had a higher peak, I'm not sure but, if it was, I believe the difference is almost indistinguishable.

23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It depends on whether we are talking about Ronaldinho or Zidane, although my list applies to both.

As you mentioned Riquelme you should note that he was outperforming Ronaldinho in La Liga despite playing with a worse supporting cast and that was during the period of time when Ronaldinho was considered to be the best around.

24. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Three excellent players, no doubt.

But who said that?...

I mean, which experts mentioned it?...

If it's just your opinion though, you're entitled to it.

None of them however (and that’s a fact, not a personal guess) excelled in their clubs or NTs as much as him.

His popularity just testifies it (the real great experts – the people – still adore him: nowadays, even having undergone a long bad shape span or not, he is as popular as Obama) :cool: ..

Besides, ‘better overall', 'higher' or 'longer peak' are typical examples of subjective concepts disguised under a falsely impactant denomination, and end up not meaning anything if you don’t elaborate on them.

But I’ll try to dissect them:

If the criterion is consistency along the years (and that's what I could understand by 'longer peak'), you're right, he is surpassed by Rivaldo and Mendieta (although he still has at least 4 years more to go).

If the criterion is being 'more complete' or ‘exerting more functions’ (is that what you mean by ‘better overall’?), maybe the three will be above him, although there are several levels of being 'complete': for the toad what ‘completes’ him is the she-toad :D.

Under that perspective, Pak Sung-Jin might have been more instrumental for North Korean football in the 60’s than David Beckham for England in the 90’s.

If the criterion though is ‘having attained higher conquests’ and ‘having displayed a higher level of technique and skillful football on the field’, Dinho is insuperable.

What easily gives him the edge.

25. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I'm only referring about Ronaldinho, as you know, I rated Zidane over them.

That should be the difference of the points of view, I don't believe Riquelme has outperformed Ronaldinho in La Liga; he was really good sometimes but never reach the high peak of Ronaldinho.