Has United ever recruited in the local ethnic leagues?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Enforcer, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Enforcer

Enforcer New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    The Quiet Side
    There may be some hidden young talent in these leagues that don't participate on traditional US Youth Soccer or college teams. Is there a local Q2 lurking under our noses?

2. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Yes....

Segio Salas and Jose Alegria were products of the local Hispanic leagues..

Take that for what you will..

Not much of a windfall in my opinion..

3. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Actually Sergio Salas is a product of McLean High School...and I don't know about Alegria, he's from S. America-
    There's a reason the pros are pros and the amateurs are amateurs. The concept of someone being discovered playing amateur who is going to help an MLS team is generally misguided, although I think Petter Villegas was playing amateur in New Jersey before he was signed by the Metrostars, but that was about 4 years ago.

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Carlos Llamosa was discovered playing in ethnic leagues back in New York in the beginning of MLS.

5. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Umm...I think Llamosa was playing for the New York Freedom or Staten Island Viper or wahatever- A-League or USISL- NOT amateur

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I could be wrong about that one then. I just thought I read somewhere awhile ago that he was found in "New York's ethnic leagues". Oh well, sorry.

7. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Llamosa was playing in the ethnic leagues is something I've heard.

8. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure Alegria is also a product of Fairfax county schools, but he may have been playing in the ethnic leagues instead of for his school. He was living here with his uncle, went home for a visit and got into visa problems because he'd overstayed. It took him somthing like 18 months to get back from what was supposed to be a 2 week visit with his mom. He played in clubs while he was whiling away his time.

Edited by Me: I was close on his background. Here's a Post article:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/w...ode=&contentId=A17902-2002Apr19&notFound=true