has shalrie joseph been capped by grenada?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by luvdagame, Nov 4, 2003.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    well has he? or do we have a shot at him. (his birthplace is listed as st. georges, grenada). this season he's been outstanding in the midfield for the revs. so can we put him in the armas, mastro dmid group of players that bruce can choose from?

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    even if he could play for us, he'd be so far down the depth chart at holding MF, probably our deepest position other than GK

some choices - reyna, JOB, mastroeni, armas, mulrooney, clark, etc.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    revs site says he has 'over' 10 caps for grenada

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    have you seen him play?He is the best defensive midfielder in MLS.And this is his first year as pro.He is the best Revs field player IMHO.After Nicol saw him play he let Hernandez walk .I'm afraid this is our loss.Though does anyone know if those games were official FIFA tournaments.You can play a million friendlies, but that does not cap tie you.

6. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Unless he was already an American citizen during when he played those games (presuming they were friendlies), they cap-tied him. And I seriously doubt he was, or currently is, an American citizen.

Thankfully, this isn't really a problem. Joseph may have been very good this year, but we have a number of equally promising young defensive mids, including the guy who looked like a lock for ROY this year, Ricardo Clark.

To be honest, I'll be glad if he's ineligible to play for the United States. MLS can serve the USMNT not only by developing our players, but by developing players from around CONCACAF.

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    there is a big gap in quality between Joseph and Clark.

8. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Not sure where you are getting this, but as far as I know, friendlies never cap-tie you. (And I also checked with one of our resident experts on the subject.)

9. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Well then I'm probably wrong.

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

seen him play many times, he's quite good indeed - and this "gap" betwen him and clark you speak of? check it again in 2 years... clark is the real deal

11. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Also, a big gap in age.

12. Soccerski

Soccerski Member

Dec 2, 2000
    Georgetown, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which way does the gap go and why?

I have seen both of them play quite a bit and they are both impressive in their own ways.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    that is true, can't argue there.

14. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    I take issue with the US poaching players from poorer CONCACAF nations. It's hard enough for them to compete as it is, I don't want us skimming off the cream of the crop. If we can't develop our own talent pool in a nation of 300 million then we deserve to suck.

(Of course, Greneda is so low on the totem pole that limiting Joseph to play for them might hinder his career. I'm more concerned with poaching from nations that actually put up a fight in qualifying.)

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I would say that Joseph is the best ball-winner in MLS. I am not even sure who is close except Armas.He is also absolutely tireless, and has good, simple skills. After winning the ball he makes a neat, clean pass. As for Clark, I don't want to sound negative because I am not- he looks promising.Calrk may turn out to be as good or even beter as a player, but I doubt he will ever be the ball winner that Joseph is because of Joseph's physical atributes- he is 6'3", muscular but very agile. Damn, I wish to hell this guy was a Yank- he has lived here a very long time!
    I will go out on a limb and say he has the most potential of any Revs field player. I think Brown is the best Rev but after him, Joseph.

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I can see why you say that, and have some agreement, but Joseph has lived here a long time- he did not come to play soccer, he came to go to high school.So, he has been here all of his adult life and nearly all of his adolescence.I would not call that poaching.

17. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To address the main question here, this has come up before and I believe Joseph played in the last WCQ cycle for Grenada.

18. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen him play in HS and at St John's. I never could understand how the Metros let him slip away.

What is it about the NYC area that breeds the type of midfield player who knows how to control a game (Reyna, Armas, and Joseph)?

19. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I can never understand the pipe dreams people have about getting people who aren't US citizens to play for our team. There are very few folks who can get the quick citizenship that Regis did.

20. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Gaetjens wasn't a US citizen. But in those days you did not have to be.

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    maybe because this particular kid went to school in the US and has lived here a long time. It isn't like he was stolen for his soccer- he just happens to not be a citizen but has been here a lot longer than many people who are.His entire soccer playing career has been in the USA- high school, college and pro- so it is very natural for people to want to see him play for the USA.

22. righthalf

righthalf Member

May 3, 2002
    >even if he could play for us, he'd be so far down >the depth chart at holding MF, probably our >deepest position other than GK

>some choices - reyna, JOB, mastroeni, armas, >mulrooney, clark, etc.

In my book, his current form is better than Mastroeni, Mulrooney, and Clark. So, he is not too far off to make the team (if he is eligible.)

From the Mero and Rev playoff mathches, he also looked better than Clark. (However, I think Clark has played too many games this year. He was not sharp and did not have a lot of energy as the beginning or middle of the season.)

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    well, it is not going to happen because he has supposedly played for Grenada, but when you consider that he is SO athletic and is among the best in MLS at D-mid, I think you would have to think he had a USA future if he was eligible.AS for Clark, I like him but I see no evidence he will be the ball winner that Joseph is. Joseph is like a big freekin vacuum cleaner back there, winning ball after ball. He also makes nice simple passes- he does not waste balls after he had won them.If I sound impressed, it is because I am!

24. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pardon the confusion, but which CONCACAF nation have we been stealing from? Going down our roster we have skimmed from the poorer soccer nations of Germany, France, Holland, Colombia, and Argentina. And thank you very much to those countries.

I think we have done well in not capping players from other nations that have done what Joseph has done and come here before college. But you are right. We should resist if temptation arises. The soccer fates arbitrarily determine where the soccer talent is born. Who are we to mess up the system?

I just do not think the Caribbean and Central American countries need to worry about the US stealing their soccer talent. Those countries should worry more about the Monroe Doctrine and two centuries of US economic and political interference.

Have a nice day!

25. FabFiveFigo

FabFiveFigo Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Northern SC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Shalrie Joseph is aparantly out of the running, how about Miles Joseph? Has he been capped by Genada yet?