Has RSL Changed their logo already?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by mouseboy33, Nov 19, 2004.

1. mouseboy33

mouseboy33 New Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Maybe people and fans have been giving the RSL front office stick about their crappy logotype they were using with the suberb looking crest/logo because it seems to have changed. At the Jason Kreis press conference the backdrop showed a modified logotype. They got rid of that awful and silly lowercase 'e' in ReAL. Now is all uppercase. Did some graphic designer make a mistake or did they make the right decision by dropping the 1970 soda can looking ReAL logotype. See for yourself.

[​IMG]

2. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully you're right. The MLS RSL site still has the old type with the crown above the 'E' though.

3. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Thank goodness. They must have realized that the little 'e' looked ridiculous. I doubt they just messed up the press conference backdrop, they probably are going to already fade out the "old" lower case e.

4. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF
    I thought that they had 3 different logos that they were going to use.

5. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    As much as I hope it's a permanent change, I think they just went with all caps to idiot-proof the website address.

6. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do. The original poster was referring to the type on 'Real Salt Lake'. The 'e' in Real used to be lowercase with a crown over it. On the backdrop it has been changed.

7. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I thought the exact same thing

8. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, are you guys the majority? Do people really hate the little 'e' so much? I kind of like it, I thought it was unique and something easily gotten used to.

LeE

9. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the general consensus is that we ReALly dislike it and are ReAL tired of the ReAL jokes.

10. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    I too really dislike the lower case e. But, I disagree with you all that they have changed it. What you see in the background is simply the name of the URL, which has nothing to do with the logo.

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the lower case 'e' was some Mormon thing.

BTW. I think RSL could make a killing selling RSL-logo sacred shorts.

12. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    haha, ya, RSL magic undies

13. mouseboy33

mouseboy33 New Member

Dec 24, 2003
    LOL too funny.

Well in any event. You RSL supporters need to write in. Because the logotype looks a million times better with out the lowercase 'e'. Much classier. Though I think they could have found a nicer font than that one they dragged, kicking and screaming from the 70's. Degrades the classy crest. Shame that.

14. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

The logo is simply the second logo. The team has two logos that were unveiled at the anouncement of the "team name" news conference.

They are just rotating the logo usage. The REALSALTLAKE that you see in addition to the "second" logo is just the website address.

15. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately they come along with the territory of that ReAL bad name...

16. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    To be honest, I always thought the small e was just to make room for the crown, and it wasn't really meant to be spelt with a small e all the time. It was just sort of a logo-design thing. Anyway the other guys are right, they are just using all their logos. I don't think they did away with the small e logo.

17. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    People have made way too much of the lower-case e with the upper-case A and L. First of all, I think it looks fine in the logo itself (though slightly sillier in other logotypes). Second, that is the only place it is ever used that way. Nobody has asked anyone to type "ReAL" in any other communications. MLS and RSL themselves always type it as "Real Salt Lake" in all contexts other than the logo (on the website, in press releases, etc.). I think this issue has been much ado about very little from the very beginning.