Has anybody else given up on MLS after becoming PPV?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Gutch220, Mar 2, 2024.

1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a few main reasons some do not like season pass:

1.) Apple

2.) They can't turn on their local mY or CW channel to hear their local homer announcers tell them how great their team is, and how biased the refs are against them.

3.) They've been paying anywhere from $100 to near $300 a month for years now for cable....

4.) They'll happily pay for ESPN+ because they can (most likely don't though) watch Bundesliga or La Liga games as well....

5.) They never really liked MLS anyways

6.) Apple's announcers suck!!! (even though MLS hired and pays them). Even though nearly all of them have been on MLS broadcasts for years, and in some cases over a decade now.....

7.) MLS Live/Direct Kick were better!!! (despite being subject to blackouts, and being nearly the same price).

Actually never mind, Reason number 1 is the main reason.

The cold reality is that the annual price for season pass is less than the cost of attending ONE game in MLS.

Lowest priced single game ticket for the Philadelphia Union is $39. That's before the taxes and various/numerous fees that they tack on. Parking will set you back at least another $20. A family of four..... you're already paying more than $150 before gas and concessions are taken into account.

PJ234, AZUL GALAXY and JasonMa repped this.
  2. Kamphgruppe

Kamphgruppe Member

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    May 29, 2023
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always tell people you can donate plasma one time. Around here you get $150 for your first donation of plasma, more than enough to pay for season pass. I have a job where I make a lot of money but when I was a starving college student I donated plasma a couple times a week Everyone should be able to afford this.

3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Cool rule changes today… I would say…I see a league that is not immediately relevant to the US national team, not really competitive with Liga MX teams, and pathetically and desperately riding the Messi train for all it’s short-term worth. MLS teams can compete to sign 2 or 3 decent players from middling European Leagues, and a few kids from South America who aren’t good enough for real money.

On top of that, they think they’re above the history of the game in this country, cutting it down instead of re-investing.

I’m uninterested, apathetic, and I have much better places to spend my time and money.

4. AZUL GALAXY

AZUL GALAXY Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    So MLS is irelevant to you, why are you wasting your time in a MLS forum ?

jaykoz3 repped this.
  5. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I came here to bitch and this looked like the thread for it.

MattR repped this.
  6. AZUL GALAXY

AZUL GALAXY Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    :D

7. Kamphgruppe

Kamphgruppe Member

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    May 29, 2023
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are not desperately doing anything! MLS was doing great before they signed Messi and they will be fine after. I am not sure why everyone thinks MLS owes something to the soccer history or other soccer leagues? It is a business that is thriving where all others have failed, why do they owe competitors something? Your post is disingenuous as far as signings go your anti-MLS bias shows heavily. Naive child-like post like yours make me chuckle.

8. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I was at the first Rapids home game in 1996. I remember the days in 2001 when the league contracted and was in real danger. The league has come a long way. You sound like the kind of fan who is kinda new and doesn’t watch much soccer other than MLS.

Do you think MLS teams are competitive with Liga MX teams?

Do you think MLS is immediately relevant to the USMNT?

Who are the best recent signings the league has made besides Inter Miami and where have those players come from?

9. Kamphgruppe

Kamphgruppe Member

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    May 29, 2023
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been watching MLS since day 1, it used to be very hard to find. I also watch the Championship and other leagues regularly. There was nothing in my post that would indicate anything about being new or only watching MLS, I assume you posted that in attempt to belittle me as your straw man statements didn't hold up and you have no legitimate arguments against them. In fact this post does nothing whatsoever to address my very valid points. MLS owes nothing to other leagues that are competing with them. It''s not MLS's job to preserve US soccer traditions or history. MLS was doing well and thriving before Messi and will continue that without Messi.

jaykoz3 and AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  10. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Of course MLS doesn’t owe any other league anything. Good luck to them breaking from the US Soccer establishment. That is certainly what they are doing.

But…you can’t name the quality signings the league has made recently.

MLS is not competitive with Liga MX.

And MLS is not relevant to the USMNT. Got it.

Sorry you got butthurt.

11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? Then you are not paying attention and obviously don't watch the league then.

Joseph Paintsil
    Gabriel Pec
    Emil Forsberg
    Jonathan Rodriguez
    Liel Abada
    Hugo Lloris
    Federico Redondo
    Luis Murriel

to name a few.

12. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I saw Charlotte vs Minnesota will be at 6 pm et. That is good. I wish they would do a triple header every Saturday. 2 weeks ago they did, but last week they didn't. Then this week they did again. They should have the schedule set so you can watch e full games every Saturday.

MattR repped this.
  13. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Paintsil is quality and Redondo is a nice prospect. I think the investment in player personnel needs to be 4x what it is across the league. There are 29 teams and the investment is mostly embarrassing.

14. Kamphgruppe

Kamphgruppe Member

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    May 29, 2023
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't name any signings because that wasn't the discussion. You attempted to deflect the conversation and I brought it back to the original discussion. Someone already listed several good signing so I won't bother now. MLS is competitive with Liga MX, they continue to be the better league. We do not yet have dominance over Liga Mx is the true statement. MLS is and always will be relevant to USMNT, most of the players who now play in Europe got their starts in MLS or MLS academies, stop gaslighting.

I was never butthurt, just pointing out the obvious. You seem to be the clueless one.

15. Tony M

Tony M Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    --other--
    Because the title of the thread is "Has anyone else given up..."? Or is this thread only for people who support the streaming business model and want to reinforce each other's opinions?

16. Tony M

Tony M Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    --other--
    Telling strangers on the internet what they should be able to afford, while at the same time bragging that you have a job where you make a lot of money??? Wow...

17. Tony M

Tony M Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes!

18. Kamphgruppe

Kamphgruppe Member

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    May 29, 2023
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can clearly see I said if you donated plasma, you should be able to afford it. Obviously not everyone which is why I said should. I was attemping to help folks out if they didn't know they had the option. I guess I should have said I make enough I don't have to donate to get thing anymore. Do you feel vindicated now Mr. Social Justice Warrior, was that politically correct enough for you! What a soft country we have become! How dare someone try to help others with his offensive language.

19. Tony M

Tony M Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    --other--
    No, Mr. World War II German Army Wannabe, my comments had nothing to do with "social justice" or "political correctness." I have no idea why you would think that. My comments had everything to do with your arrogance. I could not possibly care less how much money you make, and I would never tell someone I have never met and never will meet what they "should" be able to afford or how they should allocate their entertainment dollars. And, to be honest, the connection you are trying to make between donating plasma and the affordability of MLS PPV is a bit silly.

All I can talk about is the choices my wife and I make for our household, and the reasons behind those choices. Other people make different choices. Hey, whatever. More power to them. The title of this thread is "Has anybody else given up on MLS after becoming PPV?" My answer to that is "Yes." If you want to only read comments by people who enjoy the fact that MLS has gone streaming, you should create a thread called "Let's talk about how great the new MLS business model is."

This weekend there was a wealth of soccer on our cable system. We watched Newcastle vs Spurs and Liverpool vs Crystal Palace. I think there was also a NWSL game on, but we didn't watch that. There was one MLS game on Fox (?), Portland vs LAFC, and we watched part of that. Last week we really enjoyed PSG vs Barcelona in the Champions League. In the past I strongly supported MLS, but now there is really no reason to. Anyway, MLS has plenty of fans and does not need me.

More than 20 years ago I read an industry report that said all the major sports in the US will eventually move to a PPV "streaming" model. That's fine. I fully understand that I'm old and behind the times. When all sports is PPV, I will just do something else with my free time. I'm retired, and what I want more than anything else is to simplify my life.

song219 and Roger Allaway repped this.
  20. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Three MLS games were on Fox this past weekend. That’s quite accessible.

AZUL GALAXY and jaykoz3 repped this.
  21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    #46 Rahbiefowlah, Apr 15, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    Ok here’s my beef: MLS clubs should be in the Bundesliga/Serie A/La Liga range. They should at the very least be in the Monterrey/America/Tigres range.

American owners are all over the world investing, but they put their most conservative dollars here in the States, as if we are Belgium or Turkey.

Until MLS does away with the silly rules and opens their wallets to improve the level of play, I’m holding it against them that they work contrary to the rest of the US Soccer landscape. Pay up or shut up.

IMG_7313.jpeg
    Numbers in the thousands. Weekly average and annual.
    IMG_7314.jpeg
    IMG_7312.jpeg

22. AZUL GALAXY

AZUL GALAXY Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Liga MX , probably those are the public numbers but the real numbers are more than that, someone was posting that Zendejas from CLUB America was making 63 k per season :D

23. Kamphgruppe

Kamphgruppe Member

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    May 29, 2023
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was no arrogance from me. I wasn't bragging about how much money I make. your a fool. I struggled with money for a long time. I don't worry about it much now. I don't make a lot of money compared to most folks but to me it's a lot of money considering my past. I used to have to give plasma etc to make ends meet. I was simply pointing out an option to anyone who wanted MLS season pass and didn't believe they could afford it. Somehow you have turned this simple statement around and tried to make me the boogyman. You certainly want to be the SWJ for sure

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what games were you watching before the Apple deal?

There are 34 regular season games on Fox/FS1 this year.

Before the Apple TV deal I didn't have access to NYCFC matches because I didn't have the local sports package.

Now I pay $99 a year for every MLS game plus Leagues Cup.

In contrast watching Notts County's EFL League Two games costs me $40 a month.

AZUL GALAXY and jaykoz3 repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus your sanity ;)

jaykoz3 and Paul Berry repped this.