Harry With Money and The Champions League. Oh Shit. (Transfer Thread)

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by celeste4life, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    This one will be very interesting, as we have the Champions League to look forward to, and we will hopefully see the additions of many interesting players.

I don't know how transfers usually work for Tottenham so someone please fill me up.

A suggestion I can make is Gaston Ramirez from Peñarol (Uruguay). Yes, its my team, but this kid is an absolute baller. Here is his profile on ESPN:
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=130591&cc=5901

It says he plays forward but he's actually a midfield winger. He is one of the main reasons why we won 14 of our 15 games this year. He is VERY fast, has great ball control and he is currently being pursued by teams like Bayers Munich, Shalke(very aggresively, they have scouts at every game), Stuttgart, Juventus, Villareal, and some unnamed teams in Englan.

His price is 5 million dollars. If we offer 6 million, he will be ours for sure. That's not too heavy of a price for a guy that will be worth a lot more in a few years.

What other guys do you guys have in mind?

2. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: 2010 Summer Transfer Season

Get ready for Joe Cole, 2 random Africans and a Croatian.

3. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

This thread's title is rotten. Double, do your thing.

4. LedleybetterthanSol

Jun 16, 2004
    Gold Coast/Australia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I'll be happy if we hold onto all our key players and add only one or two top, top players.

Oh, and a good backup keeper.

5. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Re: Harry With Money and The Champions League. Prison time! (Transfer Thread)

Done.

6. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thoughts on Luis Suarez, celeste? I'm guessing you know more about him than most of us. Would he add something different to Spurs?

7. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    HR said he is probably looking at 1 big money signing. If that's the case, I would take Tevez, Villa or Torres.

8. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we need a striker. We're loaded in midfield and if Woodgate is healthy were set at CB. Probably need a back-up keeper and maybe a backup for BAE if you want to play Bale at LM/LW. I was very happy with with Kaboul at RB and with Corluka I think our defense is set.

I'd love to get a big time striker though. If we got a Torres caliber player, which I seriously doubt, I think 80-85 points is an achieveable target next season.

9. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Suarez is very interesting. I did not get to see him grow up as a player as I did not watch Uruguayan soccer then. I have seen him since he was on the U-20 team though. Every weekend, we hear that he scores 1-3 goals, but then he plays with the National Team, and I don't know if its motivation or what, but he doesn't score as much. He has scored 10 goals in 29 games with the NT, while he has scored 74 goals in 97 games at Ajax.
    He is a great player though. I think he has all the tools to transfer his game to the Premier League. I think it suits him. But he has repeatedly said he would like to play for Barca, that its his dream. But with us playing the CCL, who knows?

10. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Wouldn't say it's down to his motivation or lack of it with the national team.
    The dutch league is just notorious for high scoring games and strikers with insane goal ratioes. 1 in 1 ratio for a top striker is not uncommon in Holland.

11. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

Cole, Mbola, Muntari, Pletikosa? lol wouldn't surprise me.

12. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    From the closed thread -

Spur_Forever:
    I advocate buying a world class goalscoring midfielder for 15-20 mil

rbpierce: candidates?

------------------------------------------

We don't really need a goal scoring midfielder, as we already have one at the club.
    Niko Kranjcar, his ratio in Spurs shirt is the same as Lampard without penalties. And that is without playing in a goal scoring position. The question we have to ask though, is do we want to play a formation to suit a goal scoring midfielder? Cause that pretty much means dropping a striker and playing with a lone man up front in todays football.

13. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  14. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Spurs-era Berbatov, not the husk he's become at Manu.

Watch 'Spurs sleeping giant' on youtube. Berbs was incredible at Spurs.

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Except for Joe Cole, the other 3 will be from Pompy.

16. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    Fair perspective, but the following is my view: if we're going to have a shot in the Champions League while simultaneously attempting to finish in the top 4 again, we need a Gerrard/Lampard/Fabregas-type option in midfield. Not just in terms of the goals that such a player would provide, but also in terms of the dynamic runs in the final third of the pitch. This type of player will be especially important if one of our "wing wizards" (i.e., Lennon and Bale) is injured or loses form.

Modric is very close to being in that category, minus one key ingredient: goals. I'm confident that the goals will come, so I'm happy with Modders as one option (maybe even the principal option) in this position. But other than Jenas--who I hope gets moved on over the summer--there is no one else who really fits that bill. I'm not confident that Modric can last a whole season, so I think we need someone else. At the very least, such a player would provide this central midfield attacking option when Modric is injured; and at most, he would challenge Modric for the starting place.

As I mentioned in the other thread, Hudd is a deep-lying playmaker, who doesn't really get into the box. Kranjcar may have a good goal ratio, but he just doesn't have the dynamic element to his game. In fact, he's one of the slowest players in the squad. I like him a lot as a player, but I just see him more of a left/right midfielder or even a deeper playmaker. Additionally, while not my (or Harry's) favorite formation, we may occasionally need to play with 5 in midfield. And in such situations, I really don't think that Kranjcar can be the attacking, incisive player who comes forward to score from midfield.

On a slightly different topic, although I generally agree with the posters who say that we don't want (or need) wholesale changes; we have to bear in mind that next season will be a completely different set of challenges. We'll have more games, against better sides, and (in the Premier League at least) we'll be playing as one of the "top 4" so we'll have a target on our backs. Also, it would be plain stupid not to exploit the fact that (for once) we are one of the few teams that can offer Champions League football.

For so many years, I've seen us court top-shelf talent, only for them to go somewhere that can offer them a chance to shine in Europe's top competition. A whole new category of players (who would previously have never given us a second look) will make themselves available to us. And while I'm not saying we should be trigger happy, we can certainly use this opportunity to replace Bentley, Jenas and O'Hara with a world class attacking mid. And while we're at it, replace Keane and Pav with a world class forward.

17. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The 4-5-1 formation is great for away matches in Europe. Modric can play the deep lying midfielder role. we don't need another. Redknapp has already come out and said he'd only get a 'Torres'-kind of player. Someone exceptional.

18. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would love to see Forlan or Dezko at the Lane.

My dream XI (not trying to go too crazy) would be:

Gomes
    Corluka Dawson Cahill BAE
    Lennon Veloso/Hudds Gourcuff/Modric Bale
    Forlan Defoe

I definitely think that those players are attainable, but I'm not too sure how much it would cost.

Just taking a wild guess:
    Cahill ~£8m
    Veloso ~£8m
    Gourcuff ~£15m
    Forlan ~£12m
    Dzeko ~£25m

19. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    That one special signing 'Arry has been talking about should be Gourcuff.

20. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope.

DigitalTron* : Huntelaar :: electrickeeper : Gourcuff

:D

*speaking of, where has he gone?!

21. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Forlan is worth a lot more than 12 million euros in my opinion. I would love to see him at White Hart.

How epic would it be if he scores a hat trick at Old Trafford?

22. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just based it more on age than anything really. I know he's in good form, but for players over 30, it's really easy for them to have a great year, then be invisible the next. See Del Piero this season for example.

23. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    Gourcuff at the Lane would be fecking unbelievable. Problem is, he's set for a starring role at the world cup. If he does well, he'll cost at least 20-25 mil.

24. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *throws a couple quid into the pot*

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you on that, though I hope he goes after Cahill, too.