Harry Reid for Minority Leader

Discussion in 'Elections' started by sch2383, Nov 3, 2004.

1. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Appears Reid is going to get the nod, according to CNN.

The first order of business should be to take down a nominee, just to set the tone. I don't care who, but it better be a big one.

2. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Powell's replacement?

That story should hit in about three weeks, I'd think. Maybe the Friday after Thanksgiving.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Great. Another prominent Democrat who doesn't want to disagree with the Republicans.

Why is it that the only Democratic leader with any balls is a woman?

:rolleyes:

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I wish I knew, should have gone with Hillary IMO.

5. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    Hillary? A "leader?" BWAHHHHAHHH!! God, I hope she is your candidate to run against Guiliani in '08! LOL

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Actually I meant Nancy Pelosi in the House.

Come to think of it Biden would be a good choice for Senate minority leader. He's strong on defense and national security, tough on crime, good on the environment, good on education, and is a ranking member of the Senate foreign relations committee. Problem is that he ran for president once and didn't win, so the party leadership looks at him as damaged goods.

All I can say is that Terry McAuliffe better be gone, toot frickin' sweet.

7. Franchise

Franchise New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    JSC, Houston, TX
    Nancy Pelosi might be a good idea as a congressional leader, but wouldn't be a very good candidate in four years. She comes across as too liberal... I'm not saying she actual is or is not. Perception is what matters for a party that is relevant, but certainly not powerful.

Reid is a great candidate for minority leader for several reasons. Of course, more liberal Democrats may despise these reasons, but they exist nonetheless.
    1. Reid comes from a swing state.
    2. Reid is not liberal.
    3. He doesn't invite the same visceral negative reaction from conservatives and moderates that many liberal Democrats do. (Kennedy, HRC, etc.)
    4. He has a history of "playing nice" with the other side. With almost no political leverage right now, the Democrats cannot be perceived as working against the public interest. Too many filibusters or too much hassling of a judiciary nominee comes off very poorly in Red and Swing states.

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    So much for the Democratic wing of the Democratic party.

I guess that died with Howard Dean.

9. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I think if she was doing her job correctly, DeLay would be out of office...look what Gingrich did in the late 80s, the man was evil, but he took down how many speakers?

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    DeLay is very well protected by the Republicans who are in charge. It'll be tough to bring him down.

11. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Democratic wing died with Michael Dukakis