Harrison Stadium - The rumours of my demise..

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Section113, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    3. re: AEG owning land in Harrison. Even if Metro agreee to stay at the Meadowlands, owning a hunk of land in that location is not a bad investment; it can always be sold, it stands to grow in value once the property is needed for whatever development goes there -- stadium, town houses, movie theaters (which I see as a bad investment; home theater is only going to get bigger in the future).

Still, there is something in all this I just don't trust. Why can't Nick go public with the same information? What negotiations are left to protect swith silence? I know -- can't be discussed right now, too sensitive.

Exactly what is sensitive about New Jersey politics?

2. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    The MFO insider probably meant ARG (A dvanced R ealty G roup), the fine folks who are overseeing the entire redevelopment program, not just the satdium, at that site. I'm sure they have had a backup plan for the area to be occupied by the stadium since before the project was originally announced.

3. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Because whenever he goes public with anything he gets met with distrust and slander.

4. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    You reap what you sow.

5. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    So maybe people should stop whining when they get frozen out.

6. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe no one posted this Dec 2 article..... Apologies if i'm mistaken:

Officials still pushing for stadium
    Thursday, December 02, 2004
    By Rose Duger
    Journal correspondent
    http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-1/11019825163310.xml?jjournal?kj
    "Following Codey's announcement county officials said the acting governor's statement took them off guard, saying they were waiting to receive financial projections from the town before making a decision on the bond sale.

In the past several days negotiations have continued between Codey, Harrison officials and Senators Bernard Kenny, Nicholas Sacco and Joseph V. Doria to hammer out a deal, according to McDonough.

"I can't go into what we're doing, but it's looking much, much, much, much better for a stadium in Harrison," the mayor said. "We have a plan we're working on now that I'm very happy with. It's very good for the town of Harrison."

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    good catch. Hadn;t seen that article. thanx.

8. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I'm glad that soccer fans are putting pressure on the officials to get the Harrison stadium deal done. And for them to actually mention that in the article, it means that it just wasn't Big Soccer or Metrofanatic users making the calls.

10. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    ....much, much, much, much more likely.....

11. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Why are Nick/AEG/Metrostars not part of these negotiations?

Altogether different?

12. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    its all bs until shovel hits the ground.

i don't believe a thing at this point.

rapids and fire seemed to get so much more done is so much less time.

13. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    What he said.

Don't forget that Checketts will have his stadium approved next year...I'm willing to take bets from anyone on that. Met the guy a couple of times as he spoke to the execs in my company. Smart, motivated...a doer. The kind of guy who just accomplishes.

The Garden never saw, and hasn't since, seen the type of money this guy generated for them. He will make SLC - Columbus west.

BTW - Since I'm too crushed at this point to look if anyone has the phone #'s to call our gov't sh8888ads please send or post. I'll make my call and rally a couple of others.

14. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Anyone else think this has the potential to be even funnier than "60-90 days"?

As in "it's much, much, much, much more likely that Pam Anderson is going to sleep with me now that I took my first shower of the week."

15. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Hepatitis here you come!

16. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Do I detect a Zoffinger in the woodpile?

17. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    If the state is now involved, it means either that Codey/Zoffinger realized that Harrison is going to happen one way or the other and they want the state to have a piece of it, or Harrison/Hudson County realized they couldn't (or didn't want to) foot their share of the bill, and are looking to the state to help them out.

18. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Well at least it's good news. Finally some good news on our side.

19. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Bridgeview financing plan, Part Deux? Strange as it sounds, that could be the ultimate delicious irony for MLS/Metro if that's the case.

20. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    if this gets done without nick being involved that would be awesome.

21. dsylvest

dsylvest Member

Jan 18, 1999
    DC
    four whole MUCHes? Well, it is a DONE deal, now! Really, really, really, really close to an announcement, I bet.

22. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    It looks like the Metros can get Harrison only if the NJSEA stays involved with the stadium. From what I gather.......

23. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets see, I've been to Gillete, RFK and Crew Stadia numerous times. It takes 4 to 4.5 hours to get to Foxboro, 4.5 to 5 hours to get to DC, and I've made it to Columbus in 7 hrs. Rochester is AT LEAST 6 hours away. No way they would be a 'local' rivalry.

24. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the stadium issue was not the reason I signed the petition. I know its out of Nick's hands what happens to the stadium at this point. Its NJ politics, not him. My reasoning was the two consecutive years of promise and collapse, and because he doesn't know when to shut his mouth. He should be working for the team, not trying to criticize and coach it.

25. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, now, now. We can't have that relevancy stuff getting in the way of a perfectly good p***ing contest.

I hope y'all get things worked out. It will be great for the game. But if Harrison falls through, the City of Spokane is having a financial crisis, and is thinking of building it's new waste treatment plant where the 22K seat stadium sits. Maybe we can dismantle it and ship it to someone in New Jersey.

Our PDL team plays on a crap artificial surface in a stadium that's way too big and in an un-central location, where they have to play red-headed step child to pointy ball. Sound familiar?

God bless the Harrison project.